Sponsored

DCT vs A10

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
It appears a DCT is the tranny of choice for the GT500. I’ve driven several PDK Porches and have no issues with them vs a traditional auto. But on the other hand I’ve driven several different BMWs and Benzes with their versions and was left unimpressed. I hope ford can make one as good as the PDK but doing so right out the gate seems unreasonable. Makes me think the A10 would be better. So with that, anyone have the scoop on the Tremec unit? Will it cut the muster? And if it will merely be OK, would you rather have the a10 instead?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good question!

I must admit, hearing the GT500 would come with a DCT was a bit of a surprise as I assumed it'd have the A10 (as its doing sterling service in both the Mustang and ZL1 Camaro).

Given the Predator's likely lower rev limit (compared to the GT350) I'd have thought the A10 would suit it well, with the DCT being a good choice for the GT350.

I'm looking forward to the reviews.........even if they are well over a year away :(

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
...anyone have the scoop on the Tremec unit? Will it cut the muster? And if it will merely be OK, would you rather have the a10 instead?
Tremec has been producing prototype units for GT500 development out of its Zedelgem, Belgium facility. Tremec has plans to begin DCT production at its new facility in Wixom, Michigan, allegedly in 2018. I got word from a Tremec distributor (located about a mile away) that the facility had no equipment in it as of early last month. If you go to Tremec's website you see that they are still hiring in order to staff for the upcoming production schedule. Everything is going to have to fall into place perfectly in order for there to be no delay(s). This makes me a little nervous as there are always delays.

Word is that yes, a DCT behind the upcoming 5.2L monster is absolutely worth it. The ability to have a unit that can shift at peak rpm's with no drop from gear to gear makes it as "hairy" as possible. Hopefully, calibrators are able to fine tune typical DCT quirks that have made it a less enjoyable choice in some other vehicles.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Tremec has been producing prototype units for GT500 development out of its Zedelgem, Belgium facility. Tremec has plans to begin DCT production at its new facility in Wixom, Michigan, allegedly in 2018. I got word from a Tremec distributor (located about a mile away) that the facility had no equipment in it as of early last month. If you go to Tremec's website you see that they are still hiring in order to staff for the upcoming production schedule. Everything is going to have to fall into place perfectly in order for there to be no delay(s). This makes me a little nervous as there are always delays.
As you say, there are always delays.

Seems strange to me that Ford would have committed to using the Tremec DCT as you'd assume they'd have known about the production limitations. I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but from an outsider's perspective, it seems crazy :(

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
It's very strange that Ford is using a DCT for the upcoming GT500 over the A10. The A10, if internal GM + Ford testing is to be believed, outperformed the Porsche PDK DCT on shifts.
Is the DCT the same (or based on) one that's in the Ford GT?

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Isn't the biggest challenge with a dual clutch system simply drivability? I test drove an M5 for kicks and that thing is pretty finicky when you're not smashing it.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
My previous car was a 2009 M3 with DCT.

Moved to the 2015 GT with 6R80, and will say generally speaking I enjoyed the DCT more. My 6R80 with a tune was drastically improved over stock slow response in paddle shift mode, but still not on DCT performance level. I would expect a similar comparison would be seen from the new 2018 10 speed if compared to a DCT if it is featured in the GT500.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The BMW DCT seems to be one of the better unit families. However they have limitations in serviceability and durability and if the ZF8 trans is any indication of how autos continue to evolve, I can see dual clutch systems eventually disappearing. Look at some of these German manufacturers, they're already getting away from dual clutch boxes in some surprising applications. Then look at some premium vehicles...

Jags? ZF8's. Audi S4? ZF8, no more 7 speed S Tronic. Aston Martin lineup? ZF8's. Lexus LC500? Aisin 10 speed (and it shifts VERY fast). And so on and so forth...

OP
OP

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Isn't the biggest challenge with a dual clutch system simply drivability? I test drove an M5 for kicks and that thing is pretty finicky when you're not smashing it.
Same with the M6 I drove. Awkward. And the new M5 has a zf8. Looks like bmw is also moving away from DCTs. Seems like Ford is a generation behind.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My old M3s DCT was a bit jerky and had harsh shifts. PDKs are much better. It'll be interesting to see how the Tremec turns out.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Nope.

Ford GT= Getrag for up to 750Nm
Mustang GT500 = Tremec for up to 900Nm
Geeze, then going DCT makes even less sense. They’d likely save a lot of money by just tuning the existing 10-speed.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Geeze, then going DCT makes even less sense. They’d likely save a lot of money by just tuning the existing 10-speed.
Maybe we're all wrong and the GT350 stays on with a DCT option and the GT500 gets the A10...:ford:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Maybe we're all wrong and the GT350 stays on with a DCT option and the GT500 gets the A10...:ford:
Something like this is in the works. I’m pretty sure.

But that’ll actually enable two-three more years of 350.

Interesting. I wonder how many can sell as autos?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
BMW and Audi are getting away from DCTs, fast torque converter AT is good enough for 99.9% of people
Sponsored