Sponsored

DCT Performance?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
After reading your post, I thought about a previous car that I owned. ( an early STS Cadillac) When it first appeared in the market place, dealers were unable to repair the front wheel drive transmission. As such, a swap program was instituted.
If you bring a GT500 in with a defective DCT, I would venture to "guess" that the entire unit will be swapped out with a different tranny. The defective unit would most likely go back to Tremec for rebuild and go into a swap program. ( pure speculation on my part). With folks talking about upping the engines output, should we be concerned about the DCT holding up? Why not just call Tremec and ask them? I just hung up from a call with Tremec's support line and asked if they offer a more robust DCT for aftermarket sales? No sir, we currently will not offer an aftermarket replacement. Can you make my new GT500 more robust to handle 1200 HP? No Sir. How about 1000 HP? No Sir. The DCT has been rated at 700 ft lbs of torque and we currently do not have an offering beyond that. What do you suggest? Maybe you should call Detroit gear and see if they can help you? Thank you very much.

Regards,
George
That’s very interesting. I wonder how long it will take for the aftermarket to catch up?
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
After reading your post, I thought about a previous car that I owned. ( an early STS Cadillac) When it first appeared in the market place, dealers were unable to repair the front wheel drive transmission. As such, a swap program was instituted.
If you bring a GT500 in with a defective DCT, I would venture to "guess" that the entire unit will be swapped out with a different tranny. The defective unit would most likely go back to Tremec for rebuild and go into a swap program. ( pure speculation on my part). With folks talking about upping the engines output, should we be concerned about the DCT holding up? Why not just call Tremec and ask them? I just hung up from a call with Tremec's support line and asked if they offer a more robust DCT for aftermarket sales? No sir, we currently will not offer an aftermarket replacement. Can you make my new GT500 more robust to handle 1200 HP? No Sir. How about 1000 HP? No Sir. The DCT has been rated at 700 ft lbs of torque and we currently do not have an offering beyond that. What do you suggest? Maybe you should call Detroit gear and see if they can help you? Thank you very much.

Regards,
George
Lol. OMG. Were you on the call with AER too?
Heard the laughing in background when 9070 rebuilds came up.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
31,34,48 and 2019 Fords + a 58& 66 Chevy trucks
Lol. OMG. Were you on the call with AER too?
Heard the laughing in background when 9070 rebuilds came up.
Ha Ha :) I'm just hoping that "AER" is never needed for a DCT recall , rebuild and replace issue. That would be horrible for us as owners. Having AER up and running as a trained second source service center would probably be a wise decision. Secondly, if I was an account manager at AER, I would be trying to win a service agreement with both Ford and GM for the new transmissions.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s very interesting. I wonder how long it will take for the aftermarket to catch up?
The aftermarket would have to account for adding more plates to the packs and supplying beefier gears. I doubt there is room to pull it off. And then they'd have to modify the servo ramp timing that applies the clamping force to the pack.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The aftermarket would have to account for adding more plates to the packs and supplying beefier gears. I doubt there is room to pull it off. And then they'd have to modify the servo ramp timing that applies the clamping force to the pack.
I think it relies 100% on the customers. If certain people were able to get an early car, they are ok with having downtime for 2-6 months right away, the aftermarket would be there. But i feel like it will take a few months before the right crowd even got theirs, then to the point of breaking them before sending one off. so those of use willing to mod, but not willing to be the test dummies, will have to wait, at whatever level we are comfortable with

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
31,34,48 and 2019 Fords + a 58& 66 Chevy trucks
I think it relies 100% on the customers. If certain people were able to get an early car, they are ok with having downtime for 2-6 months right away, the aftermarket would be there. But i feel like it will take a few months before the right crowd even got theirs, then to the point of breaking them before sending one off. so those of use willing to mod, but not willing to be the test dummies, will have to wait, at whatever level we are comfortable with

I'm with you on the the idea of sooner or later folks will be pushing the tranny to the limit. I have sent emails to two different free lance writers that had written articles out about 1000hp and 1200hp tuner cars.

I asked them to follow up on their articles and ask about the torque. CRICKETS!

Last edited:

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My Porsche 991 Turbo S has PDK (DCT).

In launch mode, it’s basically a clutch dump at 5500 rpm. It’s very violent, but the car weighs 3500 lbs, and is AWD. 0-60 is in the mid 2 second range. The transmission is near bullet proof.

The problem I see with the GT500 is it weighs 700 lbs more, and it’s 2 wheel drive. I don’t see how it will hook. And if you bolt slicks to it, I bet they’re will be longevity problems.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
I'm with you on the the idea of sooner or later folks will be pushing the tranny to the limit. I have sent emails to two different free lance writers that had written articles out about 1000hp and 1200hp tuner cars.

I asked them to follow up on their articles and ask about the torque. CRICKETS!
Thanks, George.

It will be interesting to see what Hennessey plans for a DCT upgrade to support 1000 lb-ft torque. This is very advanced since my last custom Level 10 Bulletproof performance transmission matched with a Currie F9. Heck, I still have a footswitch on my floor for my high beams... :blush: