Sponsored

First DCT GT500 Mustang Caught on Video? Plus Hood Vents Up Close

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
A10? Have you been reading the above?
I have. It won't be an A10 and that's why I wrote if is it an auto, I will get one and according to most on here, it will be some type of auto. I was drawing a comparison between the A10 and a manual 6 speed though. The A10 is a better performer and thus a DCT in the GT500 would be even better.

I for one know how to drive and thoroughly enjoyed my GT350 but the A10 is an upgrade in my book. Rowing the gears is fun and all, but from a pure performance perspective, the A10 wins.

Part of the reason I replaced the GT350 with a GT and not wait on a Bullitt. No A10 in the Bullitt.

I can see myself dumping the GT for a GT500 in two years or so if it is a auto. I won't if its a manual. By then my GT will be supercharged and putting down around 700 hp, but it won't be a GT500. :ford:
Sponsored

Last edited:

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I think it makes complete sense. Cars with much over 600 hp just become a handful to drive with a manual. Sure it's still fun, but you can enjoy a little bit more of what makes the car special (if it's done right) with a DCT. Like the GT3 RS, GT-R, McLarens, Ferraris, etc.
You just need to learn to be a better driver. :D I'm having a blast with my manual 650HP Z06 and find it more fun to drive than the AMG GT R with a DCT. I will certainly concede a good DCT implementation will allow an average driver to get more out of the car safely.

I'm interested to see just how good Ford can do with a DCT as there is Porsche's gold standard DCT implementation and everyone else is a mixed bag.

Please be reasonably priced, please be reasonably priced, please be reasonably priced!!!!!
It has to be or you're stepping into Z06 territory given GM's current discounts. One can argue two seats vs four (of which two are still unusable for most) but comparisons will be made.

Last edited:

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I sure hope these will be realistically priced. I’m up for a huge pay raise when the DoD renews my contract and I just might get a GT500.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
You just need to learn to be a better driver. :D I'm having a blast with my manual 650HP Z06 and find it more fun to drive than the AMG GT R with a DCT. I will certainly concede a good DCT implementation will allow an average driver to get more out of the car safely.

I'm interested to see just how good Ford can do with a DCT as there is Porsche's gold standard DCT implementation and everyone else is a mixed bag.

It has to be or your stepping into Z06 territory given GM's current discounts. One can argue two seats vs four (of which two are still unusable for most) but comparisons will be made.
I'm also very interested to see how a DCT turns out. To me its ok if it gets close to Z06 territory the problem becomes you better back it up with equal or greater performance and better interior material. I think a lot of purposed buyers well consider or move to a Z06 if its 75-80K and has lesser performance with a 35K mustang interior. But I'd love to see them go all out.

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
It’s still going to be a Mustang at the end of the day. Yes there will be some upgrades in materials, but the price will reflect. I’ll be surprised if it matches Z06 performance, and the Vettes interior isn’t all that great so I think the stang is already there for the most part.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Of interest, a GT350R was spotted at Mid-Ohio with manufacturers plates on it with some very GT500-esque hardware on it. Of note, the rear wing which was very similar to that of the GT4 Mustang. Similar but not the same. The mounts on it are new and not what Multimatic puts on a given GT4.

Here's a photo I took of the Kohr Kadima Ventures car at Daytona. Regarding the wing, disregard the plates on the end for a moment as these are likely larger than you would ever see on a street going GT500. Note the bases as they sit on the decklid as well as the shape and angle of the billet uprights (or legs) that support the wing itself.

IMG_4930-X2.jpg

A closeup of a GT4 wing base plate (the Kohr/Scudo car)...

IMG_4895-X2.jpg

Here's a screen cap I took from the Ford GT500 CGI video. Note how the support legs aren't as tall as the GT4 wing and the bases are flat without the bumps of the GT4's.

z%20wing%20from%20capture-L.jpg

Gentlemen, I believe the car that was spotted at Mid-Ohio was sporting the upcoming GT500 wing. Again. note the similarity between it and that of the one on the CGI video...

zx3-XL.jpg

Stainless capscrews may not make it but I digress. This is a near match. I have never seen Ford show this wing/base on anything before.

zx2-M.jpg

Thanks T for the photos!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
^^ I bet FPP will sell that wing. Is it foreshadowing an updated gt350? Teasing the 500? Or showing new parts in general.

Good pics

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I don't think you'll see it from FPP unless it becomes the OEM piece and Ford allows them to sell it. FPP would have to charge an arm and a leg if it was a one off CF wing with billet bases. I'll bet it will be more expensive than the GT350R wing through Ford Parts and Service.

The car itself had other cues that will be seen on the GT500. It had either a GT4 CF hood from Multimatic or they adapted the three louvered hood vents to a factory GT350 hood.

zx-M.jpg

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
ah, finally some good vid. starting to get blood pumping thru the body again.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Of interest, a GT350R was spotted at Mid-Ohio with manufacturers plates on it with some very GT500-esque hardware on it. Of note, the rear wing which was very similar to that of the GT4 Mustang. Similar but not the same. The mounts on it are new and not what Multimatic puts on a given GT4.

Here's a photo I took of the Kohr Kadima Ventures car at Daytona. Regarding the wing, disregard the plates on the end for a moment as these are likely larger than you would ever see on a street going GT500. Note the bases as they sit on the decklid as well as the shape and angle of the billet uprights (or legs) that support the wing itself.

A closeup of a GT4 wing base plate (the Kohr/Scudo car)...
Here's a screen cap I took from the Ford GT500 CGI video. Note how the support legs aren't as tall as the GT4 wing and the bases are flat without the bumps of the GT4's

Gentlemen, I believe the car that was spotted at Mid-Ohio was sporting the upcoming GT500 wing. Again. note the similarity between it and that of the one on the CGI video...

Stainless capscrews may not make it but I digress. This is a near match. I have never seen Ford show this wing/base on anything before.
Thanks T for the photos!
I don't think you'll see it from FPP unless it becomes the OEM piece and Ford allows them to sell it. FPP would have to charge an arm and a leg if it was a one off CF wing with billet bases. I'll bet it will be more expensive than the GT350R wing through Ford Parts and Service.

The car itself had other cues that will be seen on the GT500. It had either a GT4 CF hood from Multimatic or they adapted the three louvered hood vents to a factory GT350 hood

Maybe this is the “updated GT350” that will co-exist with the GT500.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
No one mentioned the large diameter exhaust tips on the car in the video. Those exhaust tips are twice as large as the exhaust shown recently of what was said to be a DCT equipped GT500.

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
I have no doubt in my mind that we are looking at the GT500 wing. Take a look also at the triangle design on the GT350R support brace, the CGI and the GT4. Notice similarities and differences?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Two interesting points:

1) looking at the switchgear, the start/stop button has gotten a little more exotic appearing;

2) the obvious padding over the shifter is a coverup. The shifter is a carry over placeholder from the 350 and even had the reverse lockout intact. Me thinks the trickery is cool to observe!
Sponsored