Sponsored

Ceramic Coating Wheels & A Tire Question...

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just keep a eye after there done on not getting water spots. they tend to be harder on Coatings.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
SoCal: Thanks for the heads up..I installed a bad ass water treatment system about ten years ago and I bet we have some of the cleanest and softest water around. I'm OCD about blowing and drying but even when a drip shows up later and dries, I don't have streaks or spots.

The ceramic worked very well on the wheels and the water ran right off. Quick hit with a mit and barrel brush, rinse, and blow dry. The result was perfect, no muss, no fuss.

Still waiting for the Kranzle to ship.

toothdkdr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
david
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R oxford white
Hey plan on doing my wheels tomorrow, what is the correct socket size for the base lugs, anyone know?

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Hey plan on doing my wheels tomorrow, what is the correct socket size for the base lugs, anyone know?
13/16" socket is the proper size although a 21mm socket will work. It's just slightly larger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks that's what I thought. Tried a 13/16", thought it was a little tight.
It will be tight if you use a 21mm socket several times on the lug nuts as it will distort the aluminum cap over the nuts. However, using a good 13/16" socket on the new lugs, you should have no problem.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Maybe I missed this in one of the posts, but what sort of product are you using to coat the wheels? As many have said, brake dust is our arch enemy. Especially with these big 20 inch wheels and Brembos.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
what sort of product are you using to coat the wheels?
Aaron: The same ceramic products that are used on the vehicle and the combination of Gyeon Rim and PowerStop ceramic brakes up front has reduced the dust problem by about 80-90 percent.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Aaron, everyone has their favorites, I've had great results with Adams Ceramic coatings. I just used their 9H "regular" ceramic vs. a "wheel specific" version.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
You are right on the money, John and while I'm no chemist, I'm thinking there isn't a great deal of difference between one brand or another when it comes to ceramic. From a user's perspective, for me at least, ease of application and removal would be high on my list when selecting a coating. Wheels, paint, it doesn't matter as long as the coating is able to bond. Here, "cleanliness is next to Godliness" rings true.

I had zero experience with "ceramic" before getting the car so I did my Toob watching and Web reading before going with Gyeon for the wheels and CarPro C.Quartz for the paint. Truth be told, given enough liquid of each, that equation could just as easily be reversed as I don't believe the products are that different. It's the hard bond to the surface that's the important part.

And John, I'm a new and very happy user of Adam's products. :-)

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
KB - great to hear! As state PREP IS key. Wash, clay bar, wash again. Wipe down using gloves and isopropyl alcohol dilution (Adams purple spray). Then with new gloves apply, Let it oil slick buff off with a suede like burnishing cloth and then again with a PLUSH microfiber like Adams white with black border super towels. The nice things about Adams is that it's all in ONE kit.

KB - buy some "Beadmaker". A great "warming effect" on our red paint and SUPER slick. You can use over ceramic. JP

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Aaron, everyone has their favorites, I've had great results with Adams Ceramic coatings. I just used their 9H "regular" ceramic vs. a "wheel specific" version.
Big fan of Adams here too.