Sponsored

Ceramic Coating Wheels & A Tire Question...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I bought some CarPro Dlux. It's their plastic trim / high temp (i.e. wheels) ceramic coating. Haven't put it on yet as it's going to take me days to do this one wheel at a time. Putting it off until I have time.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
talking about direction of the channels on tires and how they change going from left to right side always reminds me of 80s saw blade style wheels and how many times people had them going the wrong way. Always was a pet peeve of mine, heck some of the cheaper wheels only had 1 direction.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Got the first of two coats of ceramic on the wheels this morning and I have to say, the hype regarding the alleged "difficulty" is just that. After too many toob clips on the subject, I was concerned about high spots and letting it sit too long.

Neither turned out to be an issue AT all. At least this Gyeon Rim ceramic was pretty darn easy to apply. Tedious, yes, and to me it felt like a greasy wax when removing. But, short of simply missing a spot with your buffing towel, I can't see how you could create one of these "high spots."

I'll put the second coat on in the morning and then do the calipers and hats.

So for any ceramic newbies worried about the difficulty of application...don't. Get the surface as clean as possible and go for it.

Probably can't see it well enough in this Before & After image, but it's definitely noticeable visually.

KB

1607553523101.png

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Nice work Kent. I've always felt that once coated items seen darker and richer in color. 2 coats, you are an overachiever and must be retired......... Still busting hump at 50's

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, John and your description is exactly how the look changes.

I don't think anyone has ever accused me of over-achieving but I get it all the time for being obsessive. <smile> Plus, there's plenty of the liquid left over, might as well.

I remember working at fifty, John, it was no fun then either but yep, I'm done with all that and have been for a handful of years.

toothdkdr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
david
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R oxford white
Got the first of two coats of ceramic on the wheels this morning and I have to say, the hype regarding the alleged "difficulty" is just that. After too many toob clips on the subject, I was concerned about high spots and letting it sit too long.

Neither turned out to be an issue AT all. At least this Gyeon Rim ceramic was pretty darn easy to apply. Tedious, yes, and to me it felt like a greasy wax when removing. But, short of simply missing a spot with your buffing towel, I can't see how you could create one of these "high spots."

I'll put the second coat on in the morning and then do the calipers and hats.

So for any ceramic newbies worried about the difficulty of application...don't. Get the surface as clean as possible and go for it.

Probably can't see it well enough in this Before & After image, but it's definitely noticeable visually.

KB

1607553523101.png
Hey Kent , nice job. Is one 30ml bottle enough for 4 wheels? Where did you buy it from?

Last edited:

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Looks great KB. I had my wheels and brakes done. And it does cut down on the dust build up.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Hey Kent , nice job. Is one 30ml bottle enough for 4 wheels? Where did you buy it from?
Thanks, David and yes, it is more than enough.

Got the stuff at Kamazonski, amigo. Fifty bones for the kit but I did order a pack of those cloth-coated sponge bars for application. The kit comes with a firm, flat-edge sponge which might be OK for large body panels but for rims, you need curves. I also picked up some additional suede cloths to wrap around the sponge thingies.

Picked up another tip from the Toob which was to cut up some Meguiar's sponge applicators into quarters for close in "corner" and circular type work. It's a good tip and excellent for the nooks and crannies of wheels.

KB

1607598965795.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Two things to mention. Always wear gloves when doing this. Most kits contain them. You do t want your natural oils interfering with your hard work. I use the Adam’s ufo applicators on paint and their suede rectangular applicators for wheels.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
10-4 on the Nitrile gloves, John...sure wish we'd had them back in the day as it nearly eliminates the need for GoJo. :cool:

The biggest bummer for me though is realizing that I have to throw SO many of my precious MF towels away once they've come in contact with the ceramic. (Didn't want to use the cheapo MF "rags.")

But, better to go with the theme "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" on this car as once that stuff hardens, it could really do some damage to clear. Plus, towels can be replaced. Threw eight away yesterday and I'll be pitching another eight today. Lord knows how many will bite the dust after a full vehicle coating...Shice! I think I better get some more, now. <laughing>

KB

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
fully feel your pain on the MF towels. My wife keeps asking "how many of these and in how many colors" do we have? I shrug. Cost of playing and looking good. Suggest the Rag Company for good deals.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I've used the RC before, John, good tip.

But David...(@toothdkdr) I wanted to update you hopefully before you made a purchase decision.

When I went out to get started this morning, I saw that I had less liquid remaining than I thought. PROBABLY could have put a second coat on the wheels but then, I would not have had enough for the calipers. So, decided to just do the latter and worry about another coat down the road.

KB

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Looks great KB.
Thanks, WP.

Final Update: As it turned out David, 30ml was JUST enough for these four wheels and the calipers but I used every last drop. Reminds me of an old coffee commercial...Maxwell House I think?

But David, I got to thinking, (big mistake, I know,) and realized that 30ml would NOT have been enough for wheels and calipers on rims other than these with the "heat resistant" coating on the barrels of the fronts that did not receive the ceramic. Fact is, 30ml probably isn't enough to do the Base wheels alone, forget about the calipers.

However, I would think two 30ml bottles would double coat the wheels and maybe even a double coat on the calipers. Depends on how obsessive you get about stretching the liquid. I discarded my little sponge quarters and MF towels after every two wheels and every two calipers so I did pitch a fair amount of the liquid in the old applicators.

I'll be washing her again in the next few days so I'll report back on the hydrophobic qualities of the Gyeon Rim goop.

KB
Sponsored