Sponsored

Ceramic Coating Wheels & A Tire Question...

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Wheels...love 'em and hate 'em sometimes, depending on the day...

Went out a little later this morning as I had a lab for an upcoming physical so I got started late. The job was to degrease, clay bar, and ceramic coat the four wheels which I had scrubbed the day before.

Boy, was I ever wrong in my time estimation and it took the better part of four hours to accomplish that MINUS the ceramic. That will have to wait until tomorrow as I was beat.

But, they are good and clean, that's for sure so hopefully, applying the coating will be a POC.

The Tar Question...

I thought PSC2's were not directional and I double checked that with Mr. G. Seems that is the case but no one seems to know why then is the outer tread reversed on some? What I found is that apparently, they aren't even sold in pairs.

Is any of that true my friends and experts?

These are how my tires were from the factory.

Right? Wrong? Doesn't Matter?

Thanks,

KB

1607463262750.jpeg
Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I too wondered on several tires, that are NOT directional, then one side the channels would be the opposite of others.....SURELY one way is better for water so it has to be a compromise, or maybe on monster meats that shouldn't be seeing rain they just don't care enough to make L & R.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Kilo. Did mine as well. Took me 4 hours in total. The ceramic really helps with cleaning. No idea on your tire question

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Well, you definitely were more efficient with time than I, John. But, the hard part is out of the way for this old man at least.

But I'm a little surprised at one thing. I've watched numerous "reviews" on The Toob for Gyeon Q2 Rim but one "expert" says to do a small section at a time and to not let it set for more then FIFTEEN SECONDS. Then I watch a couple more and both of those "experts" did BOTH SIDES before buffing anything off and that took at least ten minutes. Both of these other clips were also about Q2 Rim.

So, I dunno...how much time did you wait before buffing, John and how much area did you do at a time? This is my very first foray into ceramic but from what I have seen, it's not rocket science and definitely not paint correction.

Thanks, amigo...

KB

MButler51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible, 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 1972 Chev K10 4x4 pickup (bought new).
Doesn’t matter. The Pilot Sport Cup 2 is not directional, it is only asymmetrical (different tread on the outboard and inboard sides).
Wheels...love 'em and hate 'em sometimes, depending on the day...

Went out a little later this morning as I had a lab for an upcoming physical so I got started late. The job was to degrease, clay bar, and ceramic coat the four wheels which I had scrubbed the day before.

Boy, was I ever wrong in my time estimation and it took the better part of four hours to accomplish that MINUS the ceramic. That will have to wait until tomorrow as I was beat.

But, they are good and clean, that's for sure so hopefully, applying the coating will be a POC.

The Tar Question...

I thought PSC2's were not directional and I double checked that with Mr. G. Seems that is the case but no one seems to know why then is the outer tread reversed on some? What I found is that apparently, they aren't even sold in pairs.

Is any of that true my friends and experts?

These are how my tires were from the factory.

Right? Wrong? Doesn't Matter?

Thanks,

KB

1607463262750.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I coated my wheels in sections probably enough that took a minute put on then buffed off. Probably 2-3 times on inner barrel and 2-3 times on face/lip/spokes. I was novice but close friend who is detailer watched over me. On most ceramics if you leave to long and let cure before wiping it will haze and be impossible to remove without mechanical means (buffing). Can't go wrong with small areas and short intervals but can get tricky on large areas and long intervals.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Tony and the method you described is generally how I have always approched such tasks...conservatively so I will do the same with this job. No doubt, once I have completed the first wheel, I'll be an "expert." <grin>

KB

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
KB

Tire rotation being L&R swap front & rear. Are you thinking the pattern will be reversed? And the tire will look like it is running backwards.

I had the same idea, if I'm reading your question correctly. Wanting to see a visual, removed PS tire rolled over to the DR side and snapped a picture.

As you can see the pattern remained the same
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.19.16 PM.jpg

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
kilo bravo. I used Adam’s 9h that I used on paint for the wheels. So not a specialty wheel ceramic. It was around 40 degrees when I did it in some sun light. I coated the barrels first using a sponge like applicator. Then buffed with a low nap almost suede like towel for the first buff. Adam’s sells these with their kit and I think they do a great job of burnishing the ceramic and smoothing it out while not removing too much of the product. Then a buff with a plush microfiber to finish it off. The key is inspection and more inspection. So inner. Buff buff. Outer buff buff. Then inspection of the whole rim. While the wheels are off I’d do the calipers and the aluminum hat.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Exactly what I did. Same coating, temps, everything. And it just plain works when done.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Its the same tire pattern. No wonder you were a navy pilot.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Its the same tire pattern. No wonder you were a navy pilot.
Yeah, us Navy guys can be pretty dumb, I know, Tom but somebody has to be second.

I get that they are identical tires, Tom but my question was why the outer tread is designed the way it is making them the same PER side but reversed side TO side. Surely an all-knowing, all-seeing Air Force type would know why, right?

Inquiring Minds, don'tcha know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
John: Thanks for the run down on how you did things. I'll start with a quarter of a side at a time to see how quickly the stuff bonds before I push it to an entire side. However, it sounds like all these compounds are reasonably forgiving time-wise, despite what I saw on The Toob. (Not Tob) :cool:

And yep, I plan to hit the calipers too and may just swipe the hats while I'm there. I'm gonna smear a bit more of the moly grease on the hubs and was thinking that might not hurt the hats, either.

Tob: Thanks for the second confirmation. It's already fifty and allegedly we'll see seventy-seven daquiris this afternoon (sorry Northeners,) so the stuff may bond/set more quickly down here. I don't know if humidity affects it or not but odds are, it does.

I sure am anxious to: 1) See a WHOLE lot less brake dust and 2) Watch what little dust there is go sliding off with just the little electric pressure washer. Oh yeah, throw me in that briar patch.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Because they don't want to have two seperate molds and have each tire made per side I suppose Kent?

Now my navy crack was just messing with you, lol

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
for the inner barrels I found it easier to go "full circle" The intricacies of the spokes make the outers a little harder. I started with the lip. then started at 12 o'clock and worked outer to inner (bolt/center cap) Then rotate 180 and you'll see where you missed applying the product. Use the same process to buff off. FYI i went through 2 applicators and 2 burnish and 2 polish towels do to dirt etc. PITA process but long term benefits. The Brake dust on these babies is epic - as is the braking power. You pay to play.
Sponsored