Sponsored

Car completely dead

gumbygto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
2017 GT350 - Went to open the door, window didn't drop the little bit like it does normally. Weird. No inside lights. No nothing...completely dead. Put the charger on the battery - shows its charged but indicated trouble also. Double checked that the charger is functioning properly using another battery I know is good. The charger is working properly. Any ideas? Tricks? What am I missing? Thanks.
Sponsored

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would try disconnecting the battery both the positive and negative then re connect them. Do you have a volt meter? if so I would cheek yo see what the battery voltage is.

OP
OP

gumbygto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for the replies. Did disconnect the battery and that didn't work either - still dead. Don't have a volt meter but will go get one and check.

It does need to go to the dealer for the oil cooler line recall, but was hoping to avoid a flatbed ride.

Sponsored

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
Our 16' Explorer sport had a bad battery (not even a year old). Our friends 17' Explorer had to be towed to dealer due to bad cell in the battery as well. Maybe a bad battery?

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
i had a similar issue with my honda a few years ago, upon further inspection i found a loose ground wire, attaching it fixed the problem

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
Battery is under warranty. Ford batteries have a bad reputation. The ones in the Boss 302s were awful. My first one lasted less than six months and I drove her Every day.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
If you want to avoid a flat-bed to the dealer... and there's always a risk of inadvertent damage when towing... you could pull the battery and take it to the dealer for testing (maybe even stop off at your local big-box auto parts store for their free test) and if bad, perhaps the dealer would just swap it out for you, then you install the new one back at home.

Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Seeing you're from NY, was your car in storage ? If so, did you put a battery tender , cuz the same happened to me with my '11 GT , i let the battery sit in the car all winter long without a battery tender and only started the car a few times just to find a dead battery in the Spring.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I see you are in Albany. Temps get down there in the winter. How often did you drive it this winter?

My sense - you need a new battery.

OP
OP

gumbygto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Pulled the battery to have it tested at Advanced as I don't have a battery analyzer/tester at home. I did put it on the charger just for fun and it reads charged. I know the battery charger works because I just charged the battery on another car. I really don't think its the battery - why would it ready fully charged out of the car and not do anything when installed in the car?

I did start the car several times over the winter as the car is stored in my home garage.

Thanks for all of your replies/suggestions.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
Definitely battery. Replace with a larger unit! Because if you kill the stock battery about 4-6 times or more you will kill the PCM/ECU. There is a small capacitor in there and once it is dead then you will start having running issues ala limp mode whether you replaced battery or ?
Something about keeping that cap energized is the key to a running car!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You really need a battery tender for storage. Also, the battery in the gt350 is small to save weight, so not much capacity to start with.

So what did the folks at Advance auto parts say about the test? You may also have a bad cell. What is the voltage on the battery at rest? Did they do a load test?

The smart battery chargers these days will not charge if the battery goes below a certain point.

I'm with everyone else, I think you need a new battery.
Sponsored