Car completely dead

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I always leave a Cytek smart battery tender connected if car is off for more than a couple of weeks. In low temperatures, batteries suffer a lot.

Also, don't start the car in winter unless you are going to drive it. Warming up the engine a bit just creates more condensation inside and outside, more harm than good.
Starting the engine is not how to maintain the battery...

My 2 cents.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gumbygto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Advance Auto said........5.2 volts. :doh: Too low to accurately test. They put it on their charger since mine indicated fully charged. I also bought a new battery just in case. We'll see what happens when I get home tonight.

Lesson learned....even though other cars in the same garage, sitting for the same time start, not all of them will. I'll be purchasing battery tenders for all of them, making sure I'm not in this same spot next year.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Pulled the battery to have it tested at Advanced as I don't have a battery analyzer/tester at home. I did put it on the charger just for fun and it reads charged. I know the battery charger works because I just charged the battery on another car. I really don't think its the battery - why would it ready fully charged out of the car and not do anything when installed in the car?

I did start the car several times over the winter as the car is stored in my home garage.

Thanks for all of your replies/suggestions.
A battery can show 12v all day long, but be bad. When a cell is dead/shorts voltage will show, but you lose the amperage needed to start. That's why the real test is a load test, not a voltage test. Again a charger will show charged as they only care about the voltage.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Ctek 3300 should be on your buying list. :thumbsup:

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Solar cca load tester on Amazon for around $45. Invaluable nowadays with many
vehicles and power hungry vehicles. Like someone else said your battery can read
12.7 volts and NOT have the cranking amps to do the job....

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A battery can show 12v all day long, but be bad. When a cell is dead/shorts voltage will show, but you lose the amperage needed to start. That's why the real test is a load test, not a voltage test. Again a charger will show charged as they only care about the voltage.
This.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Couple of batteries I bought from Sam's wouldn't put out the rated cranking amps. Another case of manufactures lying because they can get away with it.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
I test my new batteries when I buy them....get some funny looks and "what's that"
when I test the cca's. So far, so good. Napa and Diehard batteries. Not as concerned about
voltage, more that the cca comes in at rated.
Sponsored