Can’t shift smoothly

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I am a newer stick driver and here are two things that I notice really improve my shifting ability:

1) thin shoes. When I wear my regular Nike's, I get less feel in clutch engagement. When I wear my thin running Nike's, I feel the clutch better and it honestly really lets me respond quicker/better.

2) The Steeda clutch spring did make a difference to me. The clutch lets you feel it more with this, and that helped me too.

I have been driving a manual for about 1.5 years now. I am still learning new things that help all the time. I feel like I still have a long ways to go before I really understand it all.
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Don't overthink it. Just drive it, and it will come naturally.......

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
If you are wanting to shift fast driving normal its pointless 3k rpms and below use 1 Mississippi between clutch press and then shift anything about 3500 rpm shift it fast as you want it will be smooth at 7k I promise.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I am a newer stick driver and here are two things that I notice really improve my shifting ability:

1) thin shoes. When I wear my regular Nike's, I get less feel in clutch engagement. When I wear my thin running Nike's, I feel the clutch better and it honestly really lets me respond quicker/better.

2) The Steeda clutch spring did make a difference to me. The clutch lets you feel it more with this, and that helped me too.

I have been driving a manual for about 1.5 years now. I am still learning new things that help all the time. I feel like I still have a long ways to go before I really understand it all.
Point two was huge for me. And I’m an experienced manual driver but even so when I got the car I haaated the stock feel of the clutch. Soft and springy compared to the calf muscle cramping stuff clutches I liked in the Fox Bodies and SN95’s.

That Steeda spring was a saver for me. Once I got it in there it made a world of difference in pedal feel.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Point two was huge for me. And I’m an experienced manual driver but even so when I got the car I haaated the stock feel of the clutch. Soft and springy compared to the calf muscle cramping stuff clutches I liked in the Fox Bodies and SN95’s.

That Steeda spring was a saver for me. Once I got it in there it made a world of difference in pedal feel.
I removed the stock spring and didn't replace it with anything. The clutch feels good and the pedal isn't stiff at all to me. I'm not sure why more people aren't just going this route instead of installing another clutch spring. Be interested to hear others opinions about this.

Sponsored

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
Could be worse. You could get to the point where you are shifting smoothly, but then you make a couple changes to the car and all the sudden you can't shift for shit. I have a base GT, and just swapped the rear end to a 3.73 torsen. But my new tune hasn't come in yet because of coronavirus. Torque management killed me on the drive home tonight by cutting power, but the surprising part of it was that it affected the rev hang as well. There were times at higher rpms that it was there when it hadn't been before, and times at lower rpms when it wasn't there and had been before. Damn computers.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I removed the stock spring and didn't replace it with anything. The clutch feels good and the pedal isn't stiff at all to me. I'm not sure why more people aren't just going this route instead of installing another clutch spring. Be interested to hear others opinions about this.
Right after I got my car and was reading up on why the pedal feel sucked I saw people mentioning doing that and enough chimed in about the pedal not returning to normal positioning and/or the slave cylinder potentially leaking that I figured I’d go Steeda first and if I didn’t like that then I’d chance the issues of removing it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That kills your slave over time, and it's a bit too hefty of a workout for most people

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
That kills your slave over time, and it's a bit too hefty of a workout for most people
My clutch pedal with the RST clutch without a spring barely feels any stiffer than the factory clutch without the spring. I don't see how it'll kill the slave. What's not good for the slave is constantly keeping it engaged like sitting at a stoplight, which I don't do. If I can put the car in neutral, I do it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My clutch pedal with the RST clutch without a spring barely feels any stiffer than the factory clutch without the spring. I don't see how it'll kill the slave. What's not good for the slave is constantly keeping it engaged like sitting at a stoplight, which I don't do. If I can put the car in neutral, I do it.
Supposedly it's because the pedal never returns to the top of the arc. It has a circular travel arc, and with no spring to hold it in the release position, it just applies very slight pressure on the slave at all times from gravity. At least that's what Steeda claims.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1) thin shoes. When I wear my regular Nike's, I get less feel in clutch engagement. When I wear my thin running Nike's, I feel the clutch better and it honestly really lets me respond quicker/better..
Wearing shoes with thin flexible soles helps feel on all three pedals.

Norm
Sponsored