Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
If I shift at low rpm I get that dreadful “clunk” from the torsen differential between 1-2 and 2-3. If I shift at 3-4000 rpm it doesn’t clunk, if I shift normally. Normally being neither exceptionally fast or slow.
One advantage of this is I get to hear my Loudmouths 2 in action!
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Power shifting will help a little. In normal shifting operation you have the right foot on the gas, and when you shift, you left off the gas, push in the clutch with left foot, engage next gear, let off clutch, and press the gas pedal again. This causes a large variance in engine speed, and kind of a shock to the driveline. Power shifting means you keep your foot buried in the gas, and stab your foot on the clutch pedal while grabbing the next gear, and immediately release clutch pedal. RPMs will rise slightly, but maybe only about 300-500 RPM because time with clutch disengaged is maybe a half second, if that. From a shifting perspective, it will be smoother.

I wouldn't recommend doing this all the time, as it's not going to be friendly on the vehicle. But it will help with acceleration because of less lag time between shifts.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT M6
Yeah if you're looking to win, you're going to beat on it. There's no other way. And you can still shift fairly smoothly red-lining it, but you need to be quick. If you're going up the RPM ladder and shifting slowly or not fast enough, it's going to be more jerky than blowing through the gears. Especially on the stock shifter which, to be honest, isn't very accurate and definitely isn't built for quick shifting unless you're really good IMO. Remember, you got 3 separate things you need to get working simultaneously in the span of less than a second to achieve it.

Once you're approaching red-line, your hand should be ready to shift, as in just slightly applying pressure towards the next gear. In the span of a second, gas foot up, clutch down. You should be moving the shifter pretty much as your foot gets to/past the engage spot. Don't wait for your foot to hit the floor and then do it. Once that shifter is in the next gear, your clutch foot and gas foot should pretty much be equal opposites; clutch up quick, gas down quick at the same time, like 2 ships passing in the night. You should feel a slight bump as you go forward. It shouldn't be a heavy jerk or thud.

But that's going all-out. And practice with the car off too. You can do all your shifting and get comfy without breaking anything.
ok thanks, everybody. ima practice my shifting.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
ok thanks, everybody. ima practice my shifting.
This is a good idea. I'm not saying that you're technique is wrong however like anything in life, practice makes perfect.
The MT82 isn't the best transmission, but you can make it better. That's a whole other subject.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
This is a good idea. I'm not saying that you're technique is wrong however like anything in life, practice makes perfect.
The MT82 isn't the best transmission, but you can make it better. That's a whole other subject.

just did some practicing and it was still really jerky. a lot of times when I would try and shift, I'd get locked out of the next gear. what's going is that I'm fast enough with the clutch but I'm just not fast enough with moving the shifter into the next gear. I'm going to keep practicing but if I can't get it down then, I might consider getting dct auto car. I've always been a purist (manual, front engine v8, rear wheel drive cars) but if I can't do it then Im gonna have to move on to an auto someday.

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
It's going to take time to get good. Don't give up after a couple of drives.

Maybe look into aftermarket shifters to help with shifter action.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Oddly.....some days I can shift mine like butter and other days I'm horrible but I'm not sure it's me......still think it's related to the vague throttle response ??

Can't we recalibrate the throttle somehow??

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
just did some practicing and it was still really jerky. a lot of times when I would try and shift, I'd get locked out of the next gear. what's going is that I'm fast enough with the clutch but I'm just not fast enough with moving the shifter into the next gear. I'm going to keep practicing but if I can't get it down then, I might consider getting dct auto car. I've always been a purist (manual, front engine v8, rear wheel drive cars) but if I can't do it then Im gonna have to move on to an auto someday.
The A-10 in these cars is smooth as owl shit in "normal" and downright satisfying in Sport+ mode with every gear wound out in the power band and down shifts are rev matched. At WOT in Sport+ you won't see 7th gear until triple digit MPH.

I don't want to start another snot throw auto/manual. I can drive a manual, I just don't want to. I enjoy the car and if I need some performance thrills, I just toggle a drive mode and play.

Enjoy your ride. :clap:

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Many good bits of advice.....The MT82 requires some practice and getting used to it, really at any RPM. Once you do, it is not bad really. Took me about 500 miles or so after break-in to shift fairly smooth at 6k or so. Still will miss a few, but that is normal unless you are pro. Some folks like the Steeda clutch spring. Might be worth the few dollars to try it out. I have not gotten it, but may just to see the difference. Some of the short shifters may also work better for you.

What car did you have before the Mustang?

Last edited:

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
I've have my 2015 MT82 for a week and a half.. and I can drive it smooth if I really try... but its that damn clutch spring...makes the car jerky if you arent releasing the clutch slow. Almost 100% of people suggest the Steeda clutch spring. Mine should come tomorrow. They all say the Steed is much smoother... you can feel the clutch engagement better so you know when it get on the gas. With the stock spring it makes this feel less apparent so you kinda have yo guess when your clutch is about to engage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)

I just went practicing and I'm way smoother now, it's not perfect and maybe I can get better with time by practicing and trying new things, but this is what I did.
I was in first gear and I floored it, then when I was getting ready to shift I let off the throttle about half way and then quick shifted and proceeded to floor it, and it was as smooth as butter. then I went from second to third using the same technique and it jerked a little bit but not nearly as much as it used to. third to fourth jerked a little bit too. the trick is to not let off the gas all the way while shifting because when you do that the car will jerk violently.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I just went practicing and I'm way smoother now, it's not perfect and maybe I can get better with time by practicing and trying new things, but this is what I did.
I was in first gear and I floored it, then when I was getting ready to shift I let off the throttle about half way and then quick shifted and proceeded to floor it, and it was as smooth as butter. then I went from second to third using the same technique and it jerked a little bit but not nearly as much as it used to. third to fourth jerked a little bit too. the trick is to not let off the gas all the way while shifting because when you do that the car will jerk violently.
It's like learning to dance, keep at it. Driving a MT car is fun.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Jerky upshifting is usually attributed to rev hang, nothing to do with rev matching.

If you watch the tach when you upshift it hangs for a moment before beginning to drop. If you release the clutch pedal before this happens it'll be jerky. Not much you can do about it other than waiting for it to drop, which isn't going to happen if you're accelerating quickly.

Supposedly it can be tuned out.
thats what I was going to mention; the pesky rev hang.

It drives me nuts. When I tune my car that’s one thing I’m asking them to get rid of.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
thats what you’ve gotta do - just keep practicing it. Before you know it the motion will be second nature.

I’ve been driving manuals since I was 16 and even now in my car I still get jerky sometimes. You’ll learn your car as you go.

EPTS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The rev hang makes this car slightly harder to shift smoothly when trying to boogie. It's pretty annoying and you just have to learn to drive around it.
Sponsored