Sponsored

How to SMOOTHLY trim the radiator cover?

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Greetings All:

cut-out.jpg

I'd like to trim away the part of the radiator cover bounded by the yellow rope, to make room for a catch can.
Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting it smoothly? I've seen other plastic cuts that look ragged.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Draw your radius, score it with a razor blade, and keep scoring until it cuts through, 300 grit sandpaper (or a Dremel) to smooth the edge. I wish I had room for catch cans!

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Trace then cut with a jigsaw, final cuts with dremel or die grinder depending on your jigsaw skills and finish with a file then a torch or sandpaper depending on just how far you want to go.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Coping saw then smooth it with a sanding drum in a drill.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That cover is light weight, you want a smooth and controllable cut, that shears not saws the material.

Hole saw not a chance, jigsaws, saw blades will jerk the piece up and down, will butcher the piece. Sanding plastic, forever looks like sanded plastic. Band saw is a possible, cause the blade runs in one direction, holding the part on the table

A pair of these will do the job clean cuts VVV

https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-Serra...8&sprefix=heavy+duty+scissors,aps,187&sr=8-39

More choices
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=heavy+du...y+scissors,aps,187&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_19

Or remove the cover install and replace it, what brand of catch can ?

I ask becasue, installed a UPR catch can in that exact spot recently .

OP
OP
Rael

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks for all the great advice, and the Amazon references.

RR (Greg): I'm installing Bob's Auto Sports catch cans. I had them on my GT350, but they don't have kits for new GTs (with obnoxious engine covers.) So I ordered two of their "bare bones" separators, and after I figure out how and where to mount them, I'll have some hoses fabricated.

OP
OP
Rael

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks again Greg. I just ordered the Kobalt shears. Look to be perfect.

Now, how did you attach your UPR catch can?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If the cuts / sanding marks are degreased / uncontaminated, a flame can help to smooth any imperfections. Practice on the piece you remove ...

If all else fails to get it looking as neat as you would like :

1632216114007.png

WD :like:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Google "hot knife" - there are specific hot knives for cutting through plastics and foam materials.

Dremel will work, but a Dremel on high speed cutting through plastic will melt the plastic as it's cutting. You wouid then have to clean up the edges and use the X8R trim above to make it look "factory".

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again Greg. I just ordered the Kobalt shears. Look to be perfect.

Now, how did you attach your UPR catch can?
You're welcome, glad to be of help.

It was a kit, hoses & mounting bracket. Liked the design, can be positioned at multi angles for clearances, that's a tight area. Do not want anything rubbing on the AC alum tubing, stress can & will crack it.

Going to go with a picture see the post, remove a rad. support bolt. It screws into the location, can mounting with bracket attaches to it.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.13.55 AM.png

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Dremel with cutting wheel then Dremel with sanding drum.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Google "hot knife" - there are specific hot knives for cutting through plastics and foam materials.

Dremel will work, but a Dremel on high speed cutting through plastic will melt the plastic as it's cutting. You wouid then have to clean up the edges and use the X8R trim above to make it look "factory".

A shear type of cut leaves a smoother edge, hot knife can leave lumpy edges. Yes it can be sanded, hidden with door edging trim mentioned. However in time it looses the clamping, heat changing its shape. If it's used across or in a concave radius it will work its way out. And a user will forever be pushing it back into position .

Factory look...... hmm don't see that under my hood or anywhere on the car for that matter. If I'm wrong, kindly point that out and I will eat my words

It is just not a good use in tight curves. It is more of a bandaid. Like filler is to sloppy panel work .

A good example to reference here is the open air box of the CIAs. Has that gasket that seals to the bottom side of the hood. In time that mess will deform and loose the sealing.

Some of the posters should actually use the methods & suggestions made. Not saying you are, cause I read your post. But there are a number of Karen's

Dermal tool ,I see that all the time, it has it's purpose. But it is not a good tool for most vehicle related modification. For light and tight places yes_maybe.

Cut off wheels shatter, replacing them like water, better buy a bulk pack. Sanding ......... oh please another light weight, burning thru the drums, like a hot knife thru butter.
I use a Dermal for polishing. The face of contacts, inside a disturber cap on the 34, works very well, wire brush.

It is a hobby tool does very well building models. Say that with many hours of experience backing the statement.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Sharp number 11 blades and make or find a template. Attach template, maybe with some screws, and slowly score the plastic until you finally cut through.

You can clean up the edge with acetone if you need to.
Sponsored