Sponsored

Can’t shift smoothly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT M6
Hey guys i have a manual 2019 mustang gt and i can drive perfectly as long as i shift slow but when i try to shift quick, my car jerks. How do i shift quick and smooth? Thanks.
Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Turn on the rev matching feature. It will help.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Your clutch is going to engage much harder when the rpms rise and you're shifting quickly. It's not going to be buttery smooth, especially if you're letting the clutch out a lot quicker. Being smooth when shifting usually involves a little more clutch slippage. I know, I have a MT-82 with an aftermarket RST clutch.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
Your clutch is going to engage much harder when the rpms rise and you're shifting quickly. It's not going to be buttery smooth, especially if you're letting the clutch out a lot quicker. Being smooth when shifting usually involves a little more clutch slippage. I know, I have a MT-82 with an aftermarket RST clutch.[/QUOT

so there is no way to shift smooth and quick?

Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
The tendency of letting your foot off the clutch quicker when shifting faster, will engage the clutch quicker against a flywheel that's spinning at a much higher rpms. It's not going to be really smooth. The car is going to jerk/lurch ahead in this scenario. Get an aftermarket clutch and see what happens when shifting quickly at high rpms. Its called breaking the tires loose at high speeds :)

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
The tendency of letting your foot off the clutch quicker when shifting faster, will engage the clutch quicker against a flywheel that's spinning at a much higher rpms. It's not going to be really smooth. The car is going to jerk/lurch ahead in this scenario. Get an aftermarket clutch and see what happens when shifting quickly at high rpms. Its called breaking the tires loose at high speeds :)
ok thanks

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Good info here.......

Also, if you shift slower "Rev Matching" will have the RPM's needed for the higher gear....it takes time for RPM's to come down to each higher gear!!:like:

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Jerky upshifting is usually attributed to rev hang, nothing to do with rev matching.

If you watch the tach when you upshift it hangs for a moment before beginning to drop. If you release the clutch pedal before this happens it'll be jerky. Not much you can do about it other than waiting for it to drop, which isn't going to happen if you're accelerating quickly.

Supposedly it can be tuned out.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Also.....the electronic accelerator is quite VAGUE feeling!!:curse:

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Per post #9, when up-shifting in normal driving, after you press the clutch, the engine rpm will drop and then hold at the appropriate RPM for a second (rev hang), if you wait a touch before you release the clutch you will match the RPM and shift smoother. as soon as you drive more aggressively, it will grab a lot harder, because the RPM's aren't matched.

I have 3,200 miles on my Bullitt, and can say, my overall shifting is getting much better (smoother).....

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
2nd is likely going to be your biggest hurdle because of the gear ratios. One thing I've learned is to get out of first and into 2nd quickly. If you run first up too high in a normal driving setting, the amount of time it takes the RPMs to drop into "smooth" territory for 2nd is too much and you'll limp along for a bit until it's matched.

Make sure you're pulling up the gas foot all the way first before engaging the clutch too. I've noticed on this car, unlike previous manuals I've driven (which were in the 2000s), that if I don't pop off the gas quickly before hitting the clutch, the revs will hang before dropping down. Like I can't have any throttle on before hitting the clutch or it'll hang on me. Then either a nice, smooth release, or if you're really comfortable with the grip point, pop your foot up to the grip point so it engages first and then a full release. And remember to give it re-apply the gas a bit just as you're hitting the grip point, and you can hammer the gas as you fully release the clutch post-grip.

This car hates being driven slow. In commuting traffic I baby the clutch just to keep it smooth.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manjinder
Vehicle(s)
2nd is likely going to be your biggest hurdle because of the gear ratios. One thing I've learned is to get out of first and into 2nd quickly. If you run first up too high in a normal driving setting, the amount of time it takes the RPMs to drop into "smooth" territory for 2nd is too much and you'll limp along for a bit until it's matched.

Make sure you're pulling up the gas foot all the way first before engaging the clutch too. I've noticed on this car, unlike previous manuals I've driven (which were in the 2000s), that if I don't pop off the gas quickly before hitting the clutch, the revs will hang before dropping down. Like I can't have any throttle on before hitting the clutch or it'll hang on me. Then either a nice, smooth release, or if you're really comfortable with the grip point, pop your foot up to the grip point so it engages first and then a full release. And remember to give it re-apply the gas a bit just as you're hitting the grip point, and you can hammer the gas as you fully release the clutch post-grip.

This car hates being driven slow. In commuting traffic I baby the clutch just to keep it smooth.

idk man I can't figure this bullshit out. I've tried everything to try and be smooth while shifting quickly and it's just not working. the only way to shift smooth is by shifting slow, which means if I'm going to race somebody; I'm going to lose. None of this advice helped.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm going to race somebody; I'm going to lose. None of this advice helped.
This advice is for driving and shifting around town.

When you're racing, you shift as fast as you can and if it's jerky well fuck it, it is what it is (a shitty transmission and clutch). In racing it's all about how quick the shift is, not how smooth.

Ain't noone gonna be like "well you may have won that race, but I shifted smoother than you".

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Yeah if you're looking to win, you're going to beat on it. There's no other way. And you can still shift fairly smoothly red-lining it, but you need to be quick. If you're going up the RPM ladder and shifting slowly or not fast enough, it's going to be more jerky than blowing through the gears. Especially on the stock shifter which, to be honest, isn't very accurate and definitely isn't built for quick shifting unless you're really good IMO. Remember, you got 3 separate things you need to get working simultaneously in the span of less than a second to achieve it.

Once you're approaching red-line, your hand should be ready to shift, as in just slightly applying pressure towards the next gear. In the span of a second, gas foot up, clutch down. You should be moving the shifter pretty much as your foot gets to/past the engage spot. Don't wait for your foot to hit the floor and then do it. Once that shifter is in the next gear, your clutch foot and gas foot should pretty much be equal opposites; clutch up quick, gas down quick at the same time, like 2 ships passing in the night. You should feel a slight bump as you go forward. It shouldn't be a heavy jerk or thud.

But that's going all-out. And practice with the car off too. You can do all your shifting and get comfy without breaking anything.
Sponsored