California emission laws

Dyimon08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyimon
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 M6
Well I got a job offer to relocate to Monterey, Ca. But I’m completely unfamiliar with the car scene there. Are there restrictions on what I can and can’t do with my car? I’d definitely have to invest in a gas saver having the 5.0 and the Yukon 😂 any help is appreciated
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
CA has the most strict, most backwards ass bullshit emissions rules. Most of it is extremely heavy taxes and fees to stop companies from being able to even be tested to pass and be allowed to be used in CA.

Everything has to be CARB approved. Don’t do it. It’s not worth it to live here. I promise, it’s not worth it. I can’t wait to get out.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I think you should move. Take the job opportunity, just keep your car stock. I think California would be great for you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
CA has the most strict, most backwards ass bullshit emissions rules. Most of it is extremely heavy taxes and fees to stop companies from being able to even be tested to pass and be allowed to be used in CA.

Everything has to be CARB approved. Don’t do it. It’s not worth it to live here. I promise, it’s not worth it. I can’t wait to get out.
^^^ That's straight and to the point if I've ever seen it.... LMFAO!!! 😁

If you (OP) ever read the responses on here regarding CA emissions and tuning, it just seems like a total nightmare with attempting mods and even trying to "bypass" any inspections or emissions testing.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I told my wife if AZ gets any more like Cali we are leaving. All the dumb fruit cakes are moving here and bitching about why they left cali but then they vote for the same damn shit here!
Happening everywhere
In 50 years the USA will be one big cali.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
There is plenty you can still do although @TrackMustang does have some valid points. You have to know the system and be smart about your mods. The big three all make 700+ HP cars that can sell under those emissions laws. Most importantly, don't listen to anybody that doesn't live there. It's one of those things where every Tom, Dick and Harry has some strong opinion about it yet the dumbasses have never been there to see it firsthand. I love whenever I head down to California, there are cool cars everywhere. I'd be more worried about comparing cost of living. I don't know you and your situation but if my company were to move me down to the campus in Santa Clara at my current pay I'd be poor and I'm not exactly in a cheap market here. Monterey isn't as bad cost-wise but still worth doing your due diligence. Absolutely beautiful place though.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Well I got a job offer to relocate to Monterey, Ca. But I’m completely unfamiliar with the car scene there. Are there restrictions on what I can and can’t do with my car? I’d definitely have to invest in a gas saver having the 5.0 and the Yukon 😂 any help is appreciated
Car restrictions? Brutal, to which answers here will shortly attest.

Not just cars either. If you have any other hobbies that involve say, manly pursuits, you’d be well advised to bone up a little before moving.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Yep. Packing my bags soon.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special

I'm with you. Yes, the weather is nice occasionally, but it's often incredibly dry, way too hot, and dreary during the "winter." Personally, having lived here 16 years, I think it's a bit overrated in terms of weather.

And then there's so much to hate about the state politically and culturally. My wife and I plan to head back to the Midwest as soon as we can. Probably Chicago.

Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
It sucks here

You will have to smog your cars. The only thing saving me is that there is no smog for new vehicle purchases for 8 years. So I have 2 years left before im screwed.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
CA is a shithole. if they aren't offering you a STUPID amount of money its best to stay away.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
As a native Californian, I have put up with the CARB, bullshit for 45 years of legally being able to drive. You can mod your car any way you want. The only thing is that if you add things that are not CARB legal, you will have to uninstall them and go back to a stock configuration, prior to getting a smog test done.

Adding long tube headers or turbo systems is something that will be a pain in the ass every two years, because of the man hours required to remove and go back to stock and remove again and re-install the headers or turbo system. I say this, is because I have not come across any LTHs or turbo systems that have a CA EO #. I have seen shorty headers with EO #s, but that might not be your thing.

Easiest way is to get a word of mouth referral for a smog tech willing to be paid to look the other way for the visual. Believe it or not, there are quite a few of them. As long as all of your monitors show ready prior to going to the SMOG check station, you will be good to go. We haven't done tail pipe sniff checks or dyno runs for quite a long time and IIRC those are only performed on cars built 1999 or older. Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored