Sponsored

Potentially moving...how strict are the laws really?

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Hey all, I currently reside in Florida (the land of anything goes) and am pretty soon picking up a full Corsa (sport) + SP headers system. The only issue is that I might be making the move to Cali within the next year and have heard about how strict the noise and modification laws can be. This has me reconsidering my exhaust options for something a bit cheaper in case I have a run-in with the law. Are cops out there really that strict or should I just send it?
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Why, on gods green earth, would you move to Caliā€¦

Edit to actually answer your questionā€¦ everyone out here has loud exhaust, myself included. You can get pulled over for it, it is extremely rare to actually get a fix it ticket (never heard of it personally). However, CAI is strict and smog check places canā€™t pass you without the weird ass sticker thing that says you havenā€™t tuned or whateverā€¦ the Ford Performance CAI has what is needed to pass. However, there are smog places that will pass you w/o one Iā€™m sure.

This sticker;
04F365F0-6AF1-42A3-BABC-58BA406368E9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
degajake

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Lol work purposes

OP
OP
degajake

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Why, on gods green earth, would you move to Caliā€¦

Edit to actually answer your questionā€¦ everyone out here has loud exhaust, myself included. You can get pulled over for it, it is extremely rare to actually get a fix it ticket (never heard of it personally). However, CAI is strict and smog check places canā€™t pass you without the weird ass sticker thing that says you havenā€™t tuned or whateverā€¦ the Ford Performance CAI has what is needed to pass. However, there are smog places that will pass you w/o one Iā€™m sure.

This sticker;
04F365F0-6AF1-42A3-BABC-58BA406368E9.jpeg
I would have to tune for the headers, so is that a big no no?

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
as of this year, thatā€™s a huge no.

any tune is now an automatic FAIL on smog, unless the tuner pays the bribeā€¦.errr, I mean appropriate CARB fees.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I donā€™t know of headers, even with cats, that will pass smog out here. Cali is absolutely ridiculous and does not care in the slightest about your personal freedoms to live your life as you choose, be that tunes that do not negatively effect emissions, or operating restaurants during Covid, or paying reasonable taxes, or gas, etc etc etc etcā€¦.

Last edited:

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Dont come. Its hell here. Especially if you like cars, or any kind of freedom.

OP
OP
degajake

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm still contemplating a bunch of locations but maybe I'll throw Cali lower on the list...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Dont come. Its hell here. Especially if you like cars, or any kind of freedom.
I was reading recently a California thread on Reddit from Cali people, basically how they hate people who own or want guns, and basically said they want all guns banned from Cali etc.

Itā€™s a weird bunch of people mindset there

donā€™t get me wrong. Reddit is a liberal echo chamber but still. Fascinates me when I see all the replies so like minded against something unitedly

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The level of police enforcement depends on where you live (as well as how you drive.) Some cities are stricter than others on noise.

Smog rules are statewide, written by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). CARB does not allow long tube headers, or breathers, for instance.

There are some CARB-legal superchargers and tunes though.

You can see everything on the roads in Los Angeles, legal or not. (Check out SupercarSunday.com.) Good luck on your future.

Sponsored

LowFlying65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
FJG Mach1 # M3579
Ya, don't move to Cali. Too many people are here already. I wish about 40% would move out tomorrow.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ya, don't move to Cali. Too many people are here already. I wish about 40% would move out tomorrow.
Its happening 200,000 negative population last year. Pretty soon wont be enough workers or companies to pay for all the work bullshit.

LowFlying65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
FJG Mach1 # M3579
Its happening 200,000 negative population last year. Pretty soon wont be enough workers or companies to pay for all the work bullshit.
Sweet! Just 15 million to go. I'm sure someone in Cali will invent a machine to do most of the jobs soon enough anyway.