The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
This phenomenon is quickly being reversed. Just a FYI.
You’d be surprised. Just hit a shithole city in Cali. They are every 100 miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dyimon08

Dyimon08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyimon
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 M6
Well I flew out there and I was there several days visiting work and the surrounding areas. I will say the town of Monterey and it’s surrounding towns are pretty damn beautiful. Yet less the weather. I looked a bit crazy when I didn’t have a jacket/light coat on at night. Definitely gave away that I’m an outsider from the Midwest lol. But I enjoyed the trip nonetheless. It would be a move where they’re are definitely paying me what I need for myself and my family to live a good life. It’s just a lot to ponder on at the moment.

02318C6C-1626-48AE-912D-EE7978F54870.jpeg

CDBED7CB-B684-44D9-943D-3199C0B5EE48.jpeg

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I just finished my ten year sentence…Say what you will, but the job market out there can be lucrative.

the car scene from Monterey all the way to San Diego is fantastic…you will see every manner of wheeled machine any time of the year, no putting them in hibernation every 6 months.

The weather can be amazing, the Pacific Ocean is full of all sorts of treats, get out of the metro areas and the people are actually quite nice.

But as mentioned, you will pay the price for all of the above…taxes, regulations, DMV fees, housing, fuel and even groceries. If you haven’t yet, do a cost-of-living calculator https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator

I won’t bother with modding cars…it’s almost not worth it unless you are young and have a pocket full of money to burn.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
There are two parts to a CA emissions test. There's a two-part sniff on a dyno (1,500 and 2,500 rpm, to standards tighter than 49-state standards. You won't pass without catalytic converters that actually work and fuel curves that are near 14:1 at those RPMs. That's all pretty doable and lots of modified cars could pass, if that was all there was to it. BUT . . .

Then there's the visual examination. It's not enough to just hit the numbers. In CA, they care HOW you hit the numbers. You have to hit them either with factory equipment for your year of your car or newer, or with aftermarket equipment, specifically listed for use on your car with your engine and transmission and given a C.A.R.B. E.O. number. Better yet, the E.O. number must now appear permanently affixed to the part(s) either as a sticker or a metal plate. (I got nailed for that the first year the law changed. I had a C.A.R.B.-legal H-pipe on my Mustang that had passed smog three times. They failed me because it didn't have an E.O. number affixed. No grandfathering accepted. That took some major hoop-jumping. Same year, my BBK CAI got snagged for the same reason, but BBK was able to provide me the necessary sticker. Which made the air in California cleaner, I am sure.)

My experience was that about the time the regs on E.O. stickers and tags got tighter (2014) the number of techs willing to look the other way for a fee got a lot smaller, because C.A.R.B. enforcement efforts got stepped up and fines for that sort of thing got real. Not saying it doesn't happen, but CA is a major PITA when it comes to staying compliant with a modded car that is newer than a 1979 model.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Well I flew out there and I was there several days visiting work and the surrounding areas. I will say the town of Monterey and it’s surrounding towns are pretty damn beautiful. Yet less the weather. I looked a bit crazy when I didn’t have a jacket/light coat on at night. Definitely gave away that I’m an outsider from the Midwest lol. But I enjoyed the trip nonetheless. It would be a move where they’re are definitely paying me what I need for myself and my family to live a good life. It’s just a lot to ponder on at the moment.

02318C6C-1626-48AE-912D-EE7978F54870.jpeg

CDBED7CB-B684-44D9-943D-3199C0B5EE48.jpeg
Monterey is gorgeous. I have spent time there, and have ridden my bicycle up and down Highway 1 and across that bridge many times. If they are going to pay you enough to buy a house anywhere nearby, good for you. Recognize it is a VERY blue community and will be a different from much of the Midwest culturally as you can imagine. That said, there is no better place for seafood than Monterey. Hope you got to sample some while you were visiting.

Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
OP I've lived in Santa Cruz (north end of Monterey Bay) for many years. Have lived in conservative states as well, happy to provide some perspective if you would like another soundboard. Unless you live only for your car there are likely a lot of other factors that rank higher than emissions laws, but I'd be happy to share insights there as well as life with a family around this bay as well. PM me if interested.

Good luck in your considerations!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
To be honest, I have been all over the United States and the world, due to my civilian life and the military. California, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful states in the country and locations in the world. Remember California is a huge state with many different types of topographic features. Its not the geolocation of the state itself, its the shit hole government we have here. It is a completely different state than what it was when I got out of the military. I moved here in the late 80s and it is has transformed completely to what it is now. What's sad is I want to leave, but I also love this state. Yes there are parts of LA and San Fran that look like parts of a 3rd world nation, but I can take you parts of the city that are beautiful.

This state has given me a quality of life that I enjoyed and still enjoy. I'm a beach bum, there I said it...hey I was stationed in Hawaii with the 25th ID. I met my wife here, who is Japanese, I raised my kids here as well to fine young men. They both love their country and are driven, my oldest serves now in the Army National Guard (not only soy boys come from Cali) in an Infantry unit as well and is getting ready for deployment overseas.

To the OP, you didn't say (or maybe I missed it) what you want to do to your car? A previous post mentioned, to just be able to return it back to OEM for smogging. Unfortunately even that has changed as certain cities have aftermarket exhaust restrictions. You get pulled over and they do a thorough inspection of your car looking for no cats, CAI you name it. I still mod but all my mods are CARB approved. You can get even blowers that have a CARB E0#. That is the way of the future. Livernois and other tuners are beginning to see the light and offering their aftermarket parts for CARB compliance. If you have CARB approval you have all 50 state approval. Ask away if you have any questions...

Last edited:

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Lived here all my life and I agree with Dave2013M3. The spin in really is a result of one-party control since 1970 (except for 2 years). There are no longer any fences or guide rails to slow the asininities and frankly until there are we will just keep on the downward spiral.

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2013 4Runner, 2015 BMW 328i
Just make sure to research the cost of living. Monterey is a very expensive area to live in unless you have already saved a significant amount of money for a home renting it’s going to be crazy.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
The visual inspection is quite important nowadays as @dmcg940 stated. My brand new Mach 1 that I bought out of state was questioned by the smog shop (not the dmv). The guy wanted to make sure the CAÍ and exhaust system are stock. He was using mirrors like those used to find bombs under a car

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The visual inspection is quite important nowadays as @dmcg940 stated. My bland new Mach 1 that I bought out of state was questioned by the smog shop (not the dmv). The guy wanted to make sure the CAÍ and exhaust system are stock. He was using mirrors like those used to find bombs under a car

When I sold my BMW E92 M3 I had to have the CARB EO# stickers for the CAI. They looked underneath the car to make sure that all the cats were in place.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
The visual inspection is quite important nowadays as @dmcg940 stated. My brand new Mach 1 that I bought out of state was questioned by the smog shop (not the dmv). The guy wanted to make sure the CAÍ and exhaust system are stock. He was using mirrors like those used to find bombs under a car
So were they only looking for headers and cats? Or H-pipes and mufflers?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing that should be pointed out here in Cali. If you have a tune make sure you set it back to OEM software. They can tell now even if the aftermarket tune keeps all the emissions in place and all your readiness codes are green. If you have aftermarket software and it doesn't have an EO# like Ford Performance or Livernois you will fail.

On that note, I am shocked Steeda hasn't worked to get some of their CAI/Tunes CARB approved. They were at one time a Ford Partner in the aftermarket world.

Nobuemon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nikita
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Just search on Google/Instagram a bit and you'll find a technician that will pass anything. Even if you have to drive a bit.

1B4022A1-9F5A-4F17-BDA6-0FD5035E80D8.jpeg
Sponsored