Sponsored

Bringing track wheels to the track

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
Hey guys, Looking for ideas to carry my Track wheels to and from the track (19x11s 305 trofeo R)

I would love to put a hitch on the car and tow a trailer but, kinda shying away from that.

Thanks!
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Are you keeping the back seats in?
If you take them out, you should be able to fit 1 in the trunk, 2 in the backseat area and the last one in the front seat.

Otherwise, it would have to be in an external trailer.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You can fit 3 in the backseat(with the backseat in place) and one in the trunk. I've confirmed this on numerous occasions with 18x11 Apex EC7 wheels and 315 Hoosiers. I use the construction trash bags(70 gallon maybe?) to put each wheel/tire in to keep the interior from getting dirty(It's also how I store my hoosiers). This is how I take mine to the track when I drive it there instead of trailer it. It leaves room in the trunk for a toolbox, jackstands, jack, extra fluids, torque wrench, etc... If I'm overnighting, I can put my suitcase in the front seat. @boardkat is the master of this setup.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
yup, the above works.

With 285s you can put two in the trunk, but with 305s you probably will need to put one in the trunk and three upright in the back seats. Just make an allowance to stop the center wheel from trying to come flying forward every time you tap the brakes.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
But if you have money, there is this thing: http://www.leroyengineering.com/leroy_tire_trailer.php

No good hidden hitches yet tho. Stealth Hitch was working on one, but I don't think its made it to market yet, and I'm not sure how durable the mounting location they've chosen will be.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you are driving less than 100 miles to the track, I wouldn’t bother. My home track is 80 miles away and the highway drive does nothing to the tires compared to 2 days on track. I’m currently on Goodyear Eagle 3R’s, and I think I’d even drive there with Hoosiers.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Cant fit anything in the back with race seats and A rollbar. Lol.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I was recently shopping for a used F150 with 100k miles. I found decent ones for $7k. I’d save a few bucks and get a truck. In the meantime just pack the car somehow.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I was recently shopping for a used F150 with 100k miles. I found decent ones for $7k. I’d save a few bucks and get a truck. In the meantime just pack the car somehow.
How does spending $7000 save money? And either you need another driver for the truck or a trailer for the car, which is even more money.

Tire trailer is the way to go if someone will make us a non hideous hitch option. Fitting tires in the back seat becomes really hard with race seats. Not even sure I could do it with the stock seats behind a 6'4" driver.

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
I use a 4x6 utility trailer from Lowe’s, which I’ve removed the parachute (rear ramp gate) from. Curt hitch on the car weighs 44 lbs but it’s worth it for me. Tows easily and keeps the interior in good shape. Drag a set of four 60lb wheel/tire assemblies in and out of the interior enough times and chances are you’ll accumulate some scuffs on the car or a bad back....or both.

My only regret is that I didn’t go with a 5x6/8 trailer, because stacking the 305’s together in one row across the width of the trailer isn’t possible...so I have to get creative with the layout. I’m considering modifying it or building a trailer from scratch ala Leroy Engineering style.
F4ABD824-26AA-41DD-BD8F-F591794D78B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’m sure you guys could weld a reciever right into the rear crash beam behind the plate and bam.

Since you’d weld the square tube into the beam it won’t affect any crash capabilities.

OP
OP
Cdnspeed

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
@Wolverine how does the hitch look? I have the same colour combo on my car lol

Wolverine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Oxford White Premium GTPP
@Wolverine how does the hitch look? I have the same colour combo on my car lol
The hitch blends in to the bottom of the car well. All the support work is completely hidden, the only thing exposed is the square tube receiver portion. It's small and powdercoated black, so it doesn't really draw any attention. I have a CJPP/SuForce diffuser and it helps break up that area too. Hitch is STOUT and no doubt capable of pulling the heaviest load the car is capable of, as opposed to a weld-on square tube stuck to the rear crash bar, which could put excessive torsional load on that part by adding a tongue load on a lever arm who knows how far extended from the bar itself, which was designed to resist forces in linear compression (rear-end scenario).

Anyway, the 4x6 trailer I have is steel, and still only weighs like 300lbs. Balance the cargo load on the trailer and the tongue weight is like nothing. Pulls easily, plenty of power and brakes. In fact, it's easy to forget it's back there and cruise at 90+ for a while lol.

Last edited:

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I always swap tires on the track.
I have a mustang 2018 pp1. track wheels are 19x11 with 305mm tires.
with or without back seat you can :
A. put 1 wheels on the trunk 2 on a back seat 1 passenger seat.
B. put 1in the trunk 3 on the back seat. however in this way your driving position is really upright. but it allows you to carry people.
BOTH ONFIGURATION allows me :
HAVE A HUGE RACEBAG ( 3 big compartment including a ice seal spot)
CAR JACK. 2 HELMETS AND 5gal tank
LEAF BLOWER and a backpack
attached some pics.
hope this helps.
IMG-20181123-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20181123-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20181123-WA0013.jpg

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I live in SoCal so I travel 400 - 550 miles round trip depending on what track I go to. That doesn't count the occasional trip to Laguna Seca. I wrap my 19x11 wheels with 305/30R19 tires in 70 gallon garbage sacks. I place three in the back seat with one in the trunk. I also pack a pop up for shade, my gear bag, my girlfriend's bag, a tool bag, 2 collapsible chairs, 2 jack stands, smallish aluminum floor jack, and other misc supplies such as oil, coolant, rags, etc. It's a tight fit, but it works. It gets old though having to pack everything back up when leaving the track. I'm usually one of the last ones leaving.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a small trailer or driving on my R compound track tires and only packing 1 or 2 of my street tires and wheels in case of a mishap at the track. It would make packing easier and faster. I just worry about getting ticketed for driving 70+ when pulling a trailer.
Sponsored