Sponsored

Bringing track wheels to the track

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Just got done re-building my little tire trailer.

33144132608_a9f76edabb_b.jpg

Just in time for the next Autocross.
Have you thought about the Harbor Freight swing back trailer jack for the front of your trailer? Works great instead of the jackstand and you can roll it around. Had it on my old trailer and don't know how I lived without it.
Sponsored

zhent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Have you thought about the Harbor Freight swing back trailer jack for the front of your trailer? Works great instead of the jackstand and you can roll it around. Had it on my old trailer and don't know how I lived without it.
The whole trailer is light enough that I can pick it up and roll it around as it is, but I'll keep it in mind if it starts to bug me.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the 3-in-the-back-seat and one in the trunk approach this weekend. I was able to get the one behind the drivers seat turned fully sideways which allows full travel (or nearly) of the drivers seat, even with 305/30R19 RE71Rs. Trailer is probably easier to pack/unpack but this will work for more remote events.

zhent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Having now done both loading in the car and loading on the mini trailer, I will say the trailer is MUCH easier to deal with loading/unloading and traveling with.

47469614061_9450f6b41a_b.jpg

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I tried the 3-in-the-back-seat and one in the trunk approach this weekend. I was able to get the one behind the drivers seat turned fully sideways which allows full travel (or nearly) of the drivers seat, even with 305/30R19 RE71Rs. Trailer is probably easier to pack/unpack but this will work for more remote events.
Once I load my clothes, helmet, tools, small cooler I don't have room for 1 tire, much less 4.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Once I load my clothes, helmet, tools, small cooler I don't have room for 1 tire, much less 4.
Small cooler in the passenger seat, clothes are in a soft bag and pack anywhere. I bring a good sized toolbox next to the tire in the trunk, and a folding chair on top of those. Jack is behind the passenger seat. Helmet fits in the trunk along with another small tool bag for stuff I need in grid like a portable air compressor.

Im not really even using the wheel well or the passenger footwell packing this way. The only thing I’d like to bring thats just too big to fit is a pit bike.

You cant fit one tire?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Nope.

Between being 6'4" and my aftermarket seats, my rear seat is mostly unusable/inaccesable. And that is without a rollbar. Maybe I can throw a small softbag back there if it fits between the front seats. No chance of getting a big tire.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Nope.

Between being 6'4" and my aftermarket seats, my rear seat is mostly unusable/inaccesable. And that is without a rollbar. Maybe I can throw a small softbag back there if it fits between the front seats. No chance of getting a big tire.
Ok yeah, I do use pretty much the full range of motion on the stock Recaros to get the wheels tucked in back there.

Sponsored

OXWhiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Bringing this thread back from the dead!

Next year I am thinking of bringing my track wheels & tires with me to my HPDE events. The normal track I go to (Mid Ohio) is just under 60 miles from me, so pretty close. I MAY try to do Nelson Ledges (~175 miles from me) or Pitt Race (~225 miles from me) as well next year if I can squeeze it in. I'll have a second car coming with me to put the wheels and tire in, so I'm not really worried there.

My question is, what is your rule of thumb on waiting to swap your wheels & tires off after your last session of the day? How long do you wait until you crank the lugs off and start changing them?

I'm guessing just relatively cool to the touch, but I'd like to avoid breaking lugs or studs if I can, just curious what you guys do?

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Tear into them right away... By the time you have cooled down yourself, grabbed a drink etc after the final session...
The temps of studs / nuts should be OK to loosen (if they haven't already)
Think about it.. Throughout the day hot / cold the nuts are fully torqued, heated, expanded and contracted.
If you are using quality Lug Nuts and OEM / upgraded hubs, you should be OK.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bringing this thread back from the dead!

Next year I am thinking of bringing my track wheels & tires with me to my HPDE events. The normal track I go to (Mid Ohio) is just under 60 miles from me, so pretty close. I MAY try to do Nelson Ledges (~175 miles from me) or Pitt Race (~225 miles from me) as well next year if I can squeeze it in. I'll have a second car coming with me to put the wheels and tire in, so I'm not really worried there.

My question is, what is your rule of thumb on waiting to swap your wheels & tires off after your last session of the day? How long do you wait until you crank the lugs off and start changing them?

I'm guessing just relatively cool to the touch, but I'd like to avoid breaking lugs or studs if I can, just curious what you guys do?
Tear into them right away... By the time you have cooled down yourself, grabbed a drink etc after the final session...
The temps of studs / nuts should be OK to loosen (if they haven't already)
Think about it.. Throughout the day hot / cold the nuts are fully torqued, heated, expanded and contracted.
If you are using quality Lug Nuts and OEM / upgraded hubs, you should be OK.
yeah that wouldn't be my advise, having broken a stud on a different car trying to swap back to street tires for the long drive home, it wasn't a fun experience, and its a mistake you're only going to make once.

So I carry at least one spare stud and lug nut with me in my toolbag. Then generally I try to wait long enough for them to cool down to a reasonable temperature, even if they're still pretty warm.

In my case, for local events, I just drive the car on the autox tires. For big events, I'm probably swapping tires, but the car is also probably sitting in some kind of impound for a bit after the runs, which gives it some time to cool.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I wait till everything is reasonable to touch. I understand this is quite subjective but if it feels too hot to touch, it's too hot to remove the lugs.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Three in the back and one in the trunk. Removed the rear seat (completely) and the passenger seat which I used for jack, cooler,
70416198404__D0EAB79A-E6CE-4BAA-B548-069797BADC15.jpeg
luggage and spares. That was a 1 day rain and one day dry track event so had both dry and wet set. Not really that fun and I'm not sure I would do it again. Not really setting any records so next time I'd just pick a set and go with it. However, running street tires on track , when it's really raining, and everyone else is sliding around on track tires is pretty fun though.
Sponsored