Sponsored

BMS reset - no tools required

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I apologize if this was addressed in the preceding seven pages, but does the reset and even the 8-hour sleep need to be performed if the battery is merely DISCONNECTED for several minutes (and re-connected thereafter)?
Thank you.
You would not need to do a BMS reset, that is only to tell the system that a new battery has been installed. I don’t think you need to do the 8 hour thing, as the state of charge would not change significantly in the few minutes that it would be disconnected.
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I apologize if this was addressed in the preceding seven pages, but does the reset and even the 8-hour sleep need to be performed if the battery is merely DISCONNECTED for several minutes (and re-connected thereafter)?
Thank you.
No, not at all! It's only if the charging characteristics change, which only occurs when there is a new battery or if you are adding in something like an aftermarket stereo that does a large power draw.

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
After replacing my battery (with an AGM), I've been trying to avoid paying the dealer for a BMS reset, and I don't have Forscan or even a computer. I found the following on an F150 forum. Tried it on my '20 GT and it seems to work.

Procedure must be carried out within 10 seconds:
  1. Switch ignition on (engine off)
  2. Pull and release high beam 5 times.
  3. Press and release brake pedal 3 times.
  4. If successful the battery light will flash 3 times within the next 15 seconds
  5. BMS reset completed.
I'm not any kind of expert, but my battery icon flashed three times after performing these steps, so the procedure appears to work. YMMV

UPDATE: 3/3/2022
Confirmed with Forscan. This procedure resets the "days in service" to 0.
thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Farkel

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
It tells the car that it has a new battery and then uses a charging stratagy for a new one. If you don't reset, the car will think the battery is several years old and will not properly charge it.
Actually, I think it will overcharge the new battery if the BMS thinks it's an old battery. Older batteries tend to have some sulfation on the plates which require a higher charging voltage to overcome that added cell resistance. As the battery ages, the system will increase the charging voltage so if you don't reset the system, it will use a higher charging voltage which can be detrimental to a new battery. It's not a "useless" system as someone suggested; it's just that in the past, our cars didn't have such things primarily because we had old school regulators and such without computers. Engineers found that as batteries age, they change how they accept a charge, etc. so found that battery life can be prolonged with a charging strategy that is optimized for the battery's condition. How much it prolongs the battery life I can't really say as I'd need an identical car without the BMS system to compare how identical batteries would fare in both cars being operated the same way. Of course, even that isn't necessarily valid as you could have a battery with a defect that makes it not last as long as "normal". I just trust that the engineers know what they're doing and our batteries will last as long as possible with their system.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Confirmed this works on my 2016 (4/2016) GT. Previous voltage during charging was 14.7-14.9V on my 3 year old battery. Installed new fully charged battery and voltage didn’t change. I then initiated the BMS reset and now charging voltage is 14.0-14.2V.
That is precisely how it's supposed to work. Older batteries require higher charging voltages due to sulfation of the plates which introduce charging resistance. I checked my car and the battery has been in operation for 872 days which pretty much coincides with the production date on the window sticker (Sept. 2020) that was on the car from the factory.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That is precisely how it's supposed to work. Older batteries require higher charging voltages due to sulfation of the plates which introduce charging resistance. I checked my car and the battery has been in operation for 872 days which pretty much coincides with the production date on the window sticker (Sept. 2020) that was on the car from the factory.
Correct.

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
Thanks for the explanations, a side question: would my 2019 Super Duty truck (over 11,000GVWR) require a reset? or is this technology new since then?
Thanks again.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Farkel

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Thanks for the explanations, a side question: would my 2019 Super Duty truck (over 11,000GVWR) require a reset? or is this technology new since then?
Thanks again.
Ford introduced the BMS technology in 2011, so your '19 truck does use it.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1