Sponsored

BMR LCA Bearings & Steeda LCA difference ?

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I do not even worry about deciding what brand to buy. Some of the poor products I have seen first hand from the competition has me ALWAYS picking BMR. They really do make the best. My car thanks me everytime I pull out my credit card to purchase more BMR parts.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I do not even worry about deciding what brand to buy. Some of the poor products I have seen first hand from the competition has me ALWAYS picking BMR. They really do make the best. My car thanks me everytime I pull out my credit card to purchase more BMR parts.
All that matters is you are happy with your purchases at the end of the day ... plenty of competition out there, that is the beauty of a free enterprise system, you have the right to choose the product that suits you best.

:thumbsup:

Best Regards,

TJ

jburgess1379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted v6
I already got Steeda's. Nothing against BMR. Both are the best of the best imo and there's a big drop off after that. I have all Steeda already

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I already got Steeda's. Nothing against BMR. Both are the best of the best imo and there's a big drop off after that. I have all Steeda already
Seeing that J is impartial & unbiased ... I think he has great points :bolt:

TJ

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
From experience, this is what tamed my rear suspension after I installed my LCA bearing:
- obviously having adjustable shocks are great, have those
- delrin vertical link (read: not a spherical vertical link)

No knock on the BMR spherical vertical links that I had - nothing wrong with them, nice product, expected benefits are there - but I went with Steeda's (delrin) to see if I could tame it back there and it worked. I got to a point where I couldn't adjust my shocks to tame it, I tried adding back in some bushing. Still very tight, no trace of wheel hop still, but just that nudge toward compliance that I wanted. This also reduced noise (clunks) that I had to expect when adding so many spherical bearings to a suspension.

Your mileage may vary.
I had a similar dilemma when choosing the vertical links...mainly, is it meant to have spherical bearings in those two places? Is it meant to have "thaaat" much freedom of movement? How much should the part resist transversal forces?

I honestly didn't (and still don't) have enough knowledge and experience to answer those questions. I couldn't rationally choose between delrin and spherical bearing...so I went with poly. My reasoning was that it provided a compromise between restriction and mobility while having way more structural integrity than stock.

I might be wrong, and most likely I am, with my rationale...and I haven't tested with delrin and spherical bearing in order to quantify the effects. Hope someone can objectively share some light in this regards...:cheers:

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
This thread has become like a math equation. When I was in school, the teacher would give us an equation and we had to solve it. My way was different than hers but the answer still came out the same. 2+1+3 still equals 6 as does 1+9 - 4

Same goes for the bearing housing. Its sole purpose is to hold the bearing into the control arm. That's it!

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
[MENTION=7033]Voodoo[/MENTION] who are you posting in response to? I keep seeing you post about bearing housing materials and maybe I'm missing who your posts are directed towards. I stated pages back I prefer steel, but thought it ended there.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=7033]Voodoo[/MENTION] who are you posting in response to? I keep seeing you post about bearing housing materials and maybe I'm missing who your posts are directed towards. I stated pages back I prefer steel, but thought it ended there.
I don't even know anymore. I'm typing on no sleep. I've been up for 27 hours straight so far and had a crazy day at work.

Somewhere in the distance I see a camp fire and everyone singing Kumbaya.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what you mean by bouncy. Just make sure you put the shocks back on. Without them you'll be pimping around in a ghetto blaster.

Sponsored

jburgess1379

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted v6
I'm not sure what you mean by bouncy. Just make sure you put the shocks back on. Without them you'll be pimping around in a ghetto blaster.
Before some of the vendor back and forth I read a couple state the lca's gave them a bouncier ride on bad roads. I personally dont mind a stiffer more connected car even though its my dd but I do drive in Baltimore.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
The LCA bearing alone will not create a "bouncy" ride.

The vertical link is there for the purpose of trying to maintain the cars antisquat antidive relationship between the upper link and LCA, when the car is accelerating or braking hard. On the 2003 Cobras this link is not present and when the car breaks or accelerates the instant center of the rear suspension changes. This causes a number of undesirable handling issues.

The cars longitudinal instant center can be found by drawing a line through the two upper ssupension mounting points, the length of the car, and drawing a line through the lower lca mounting points the length of the car. Were those two lines meet is the instant center. This point is the point the car will pivot about when experiencing weight transfer during braking and acceleration.

The stock vertical link works pretty well in braking situations, as it has a huge tensile strength, but under acceleration the bushings and the steel dont do as well under compression.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Yawn......

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
From experience, this is what tamed my rear suspension after I installed my LCA bearing:
- obviously having adjustable shocks are great, have those
- delrin vertical link (read: not a spherical vertical link)

No knock on the BMR spherical vertical links that I had - nothing wrong with them, nice product, expected benefits are there - but I went with Steeda's (delrin) to see if I could tame it back there and it worked. I got to a point where I couldn't adjust my shocks to tame it, I tried adding back in some bushing. Still very tight, no trace of wheel hop still, but just that nudge toward compliance that I wanted. This also reduced noise (clunks) that I had to expect when adding so many spherical bearings to a suspension.

Your mileage may vary.
The vert links I have are the BMR spherical. I guess if this solution worked for you, I may just have to put mine up for sale (NIB), and get a pair of the Steeda Delrin ones to avoid the prior mentioned bounce.

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
The LCA bearing alone will not create a "bouncy" ride.

The vertical link is there for the purpose of trying to maintain the cars antisquat antidive relationship between the upper link and LCA, when the car is accelerating or braking hard. On the 2003 Cobras this link is not present and when the car breaks or accelerates the instant center of the rear suspension changes. This causes a number of undesirable handling issues.

The cars longitudinal instant center can be found by drawing a line through the two upper ssupension mounting points, the length of the car, and drawing a line through the lower lca mounting points the length of the car. Were those two lines meet is the instant center. This point is the point the car will pivot about when experiencing weight transfer during braking and acceleration.

The stock vertical link works pretty well in braking situations, as it has a huge tensile strength, but under acceleration the bushings and the steel dont do as well under compression.
I like where you're going here, but, I'm not seeing how the links have much force on them, at all, during acceleration, since, there is virtually no rotational torque acting on the spindle. There is up/down and fore/aft forces due to road inputs but little/none from the driveline.

No? This seems to confirm the general notion that links have very little affect on these cars.

During braking, YES, since the caliper would be violently thrust forward and since it's bolted directly to the spindle, it too would want to rotate forward, thus compressing the links' bushings.
Sponsored