NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Not true. Easy to check - tons of charts on internet. GT produces 350 ft lb at 3k. EB torque is starting lower - but only about 500 RPMs and is still lower than GTs.
You do not understand what "flat torque curve" means. It's not about the amount of torque, but when and where it occurs, and how it occurs.
Sponsored

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You do not understand what "flat torque curve" means. It's not about the amount of torque, but when and where it occurs, and how it occurs.
I do understand perfectly. You check dyno charts first and then claim 4k rpm wake up. Unless you do this don't pretend to be so educated.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Actually the ecoboost under normal everyday driving conditions is actually quicker then the GT. Flat to the floor with both cars at most any RPM and the GT is faster though.
Which is why most of us GT drivers live in fear of a partial throttle race against an Ecoboost. [/nostalgia for the partial throttle racing posts of days past]

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
These conversations always revert to RACING. No one is saying the ecoboost is stronger in a race or at full throttle. But it just so happens not all of us drive around flat to the floor all day everyday. All dyno charts are of course flat to the floor and look pretty good. I have an automatic and really don't want to having the car downshift 3 gears and rev to the moon every time I would go full throttle and want to just have a little fun or scoot in front of car on the highway. The ecoboost puts a lot of boost in just as we roll on the throttle. Most turbo cars do this now. Its probably like 80% of our power is at half throttle or less. I like many others enjoy that effortless torque and acceleration. Sure does go flat on the top or even when going flat to the floor though. Others could care less and just want super linear pull and not worried about the lack of roll on power. Each to there own. If I still raced I would want the N/A high rev motor all day long. On the street I prefer the effortless low end torque of turbos now.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I do understand perfectly. You check dyno charts first and then claim 4k rpm wake up. Unless you do this don't pretend to be so educated.
No, no you don't. You keep talking about dyno charts and max torque. This shows you really don't understand what a few of us have been posting about for awhile now, because we're not talking about full-throttle applications, max TQ/HP, or things of that nature.

ETA; You think there isn't a 4K RPM step-up with a Coyote engine?

Really?

Sponsored

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You think there isn't a 4K RPM step-up with a Coyote engine?

Really?
You said "Coyotes have flat torque curves, and don't wake up until about 4K RPM". I don't want to waste my time on this any more. Was flat now is step-up. Obviously you are the smartest. The rest can check dyno charts.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OP- I think you will find the 2015-19 Mustangs very capable compared to the European cars you're used to. It's not just about low end torque and horsepower with these cars. They can handle now too. It has the handling of the European cars with the grunt of American V8. But as said, the Coyote is a high revving motor. The Ecoboost is probably a little more balanced handling wise because of lighter engine up front but both the GT and Ecoboost handle very well.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
These conversations always revert to RACING. No one is saying the ecoboost is stronger in a race or at full throttle. But it just so happens not all of us drive around flat to the floor all day everyday. All dyno charts are of course flat to the floor and look pretty good. I have an automatic and really don't want to having the car downshift 3 gears and rev to the moon every time I would go full throttle and want to just have a little fun or scoot in front of car on the highway. The ecoboost puts a lot of boost in just as we roll on the throttle. Most turbo cars do this now. Its probably like 80% of our power is at half throttle or less. I like many others enjoy that effortless torque and acceleration. Sure does go flat on the top or even when going flat to the floor though. Others could care less and just want super linear pull and not worried about the lack of roll on power. Each to there own. If I still raced I would want the N/A high rev motor all day long. On the street I prefer the effortless low end torque of turbos now.
Big displacement pushrod V8s are great for this, too. :)

Desertmedic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EB
Thanks for that info. I've long held the suspicion that, while slower, the EBs actually feel faster. I'd bet with minor mods they feel very lively.

I’ll tell you what... I picked up a 2019 EB at the beginning of the year. That thing is torqy as hell. And for “a little 4 banger” it’s plenty quick. I too had read the posts on “piston slap” and cylinder scoring. The only thing I missed is the V8 roar but I got over that quick.

You won’t be disappointed with the EB, believe me.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Big displacement pushrod V8s are great for this, too.
Oh how I loved the idea of the 7.3 talked about lately. I'd prefer the big pushrod power over a buzzy turbo. Unfortunately I just don't have lust for a Chevy or dodge. My future hopes are a mustang with lower gearing, bolt ons and a tune will satisfy me. I'll be looking for one out of warranty in about a year.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Oh how I loved the idea of the 7.3 talked about lately. I'd prefer the big pushrod power over a buzzy turbo. Unfortunately I just don't have lust for a Chevy or dodge. My future hopes are a mustang with lower gearing, bolt ons and a tune will satisfy me. I'll be looking for one out of warranty in about a year.
That would be a fun option in the Mustang but probably not going to happen.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I had a tuned EB for a year and it's a quick car and a fun car, but it didn't "feel" quicker than my GT. Now, you do feel the extra weight in the GT but it doesn't take flooring it to quickly access the torque that will slam you back against your seat. Hell, I haven't even been able to floor it because of the difficulty of hooking, in these temps.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I don't have to have the fastest car around so I'm now thinking V6 but found Ford isn't offering a V6 after 17, so
is the turbo 4 cyl. a disappointment?. I know 4 cyl. are much better than they used to be and I read Ford will be adding another turbo 4 cyl. My intentions is to buy a low miles 15/16/17. Anyway you guys that have 4 cyl. or 6 cyl. what do you think. Thanks Jim
Since you're not going for the 1/4 mile record, both V6 and EB should be plenty for your needs. If you're the tinkering type, I'd lean toward the EB due to the strong aftermarket support and ease of finding used parts. You can get a used higher mileage EB for close to 16K nowadays and $2k in used parts should get you to around 400 WHP mark (considered as the safe limit for the stock block). If you're not planning on going that far, at least consider an intercooler and a tune as even an off-the-shelf tune will net you around 375 lb/ft of torque to the wheels at around 3K RPM.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I think the dyno graphs below support @NoVaGT 's observation.

2015 Mustang EB (dark blue's stock): Peak torque's reached below 2K and remains flat until the small stock turbo runs out of breath past 4.5K RPM. Even a simple off-the-shelf tune dramatically increases the peak torque but still shows a dropoff toward the higher RPMs.
cobb_eb_dyno.jpg

2015 Mustang GT (Stock): torque curve climbs slowly and peaks after 4K RPM, then it slowly climbs down. Its torque output at low RPM is lower than EB's so that's probably why EB feels "quicker" at that range especially with being almost 200 lbs lighter. Of course, it doesn't take much for the GT to catch up and surpass the EB.

2015_stock_gt.jpg

This thread has many dyno graphs that also suggests 5.0's hit their max torque after 4K RPM: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/5-0-dyno-chart-compilation.49398/
Sponsored