Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Just getting back to commenting on this one. Actually, I was there and the guy was in the car for that time making adjustments. When I was home in Colorado, I was at a well-regarded shop and they had just finished a Mustang with JL Audio VX amps and told me they spent over 4 hours on the tune.

I would like to have it Max tuned for sure. This particular shop didn't have the kit for the Max Tune, though they are a JL Audio shop. Do you happen to know which city in SE Georgia this Glenn Savage is located in? I would definitely be interested in contacting him. I am in the same situation you are in Florida, in that a tuner with Max Tune equipment might be many hours away.

I like the fact that up to six preset tunes can be configured via the software...though I don't really know why anyone would need all those and especially since I typically drive alone.
No but I’ll ask him. He’s pretty active on the JL4Life Facebook page which has a lot of established tuners and even a few guys that work at JL as members.
He’s at least 5-6 hours from me so I’d have to make a weekend of it. He did tell me he does max tunes on Saturdays so you don’t have to waste a work day coming to him.
For the presets I’m thinking a driver tune, passenger tune, and a “car full of kids” tune lol.
Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
It's been 2 months since acquiring everything for my system upgrade and getting it finished and tuned. I had the tuning done at Auto Accents in Lawrenceville, GA. A great shop with a great crew working there. For those that haven't seen the other threads, I posted in. I replaced everything except the head unit. The front stage consists of Focal Flax EVO PS165F3E speakers and the rears are Moral Tempo Ultra Integra 602 MKii. I know some don't see the need for rear speakers, but I like rear-fill. The subwoofer is a JL Audio CS112GW6v3 Sealed. I have JL Audio VX800/8i and JL Audio VX1000/1i amps powering everything. The tuning and RTA session took almost 5 hours but man, does it sound great now. It is night and day between the stock B&O and this system.

Audio Build 2.jpg

JL Audio System.jpg

JL Sub 1.jpg
Where they able to do a no cut install like Sounds Good in Nashville did with the GT500?

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
When i tune my car it takes even longer than 5 hours. If you cannot do Auto-EQ like TĂĽN or Helix and have no REW import function in the software and need to type everything in by hand, then it takes a while.
In addition, sometimes REW generated filters just don't work when actually put in into the DSP, so it's another round for that driver. ;)
Then there's time alignment (sweeps take their time), phase alignment and stuff like that.
A competition tune on my side easily adds up to 20-30 hours at minimum.
Have you used any of Helix stuff? They have a 12 channel amp I’m interested in.

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yes, no cutting. The tweeter location had to be drilled very slightly. I also have the adapters made by Sounds Good for the woofer and midbass in the doors that made it a simple swap.

Where they able to do a no cut install like Sounds Good in Nashville did with the GT500?

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
No kids, but I was thinking about maybe a setting for when I might have a passenger. If it adds significantly to the tuning charge...then nope lol.

No but I’ll ask him. He’s pretty active on the JL4Life Facebook page which has a lot of established tuners and even a few guys that work at JL as members.
He’s at least 5-6 hours from me so I’d have to make a weekend of it. He did tell me he does max tunes on Saturdays so you don’t have to waste a work day coming to him.
For the presets I’m thinking a driver tune, passenger tune, and a “car full of kids” tune lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I googled and see the shop (KBT) is in between Brunswick, GA, and Jacksonville, FL which is about 3 1/2 hours from me. I will give them a call. I am wondering how much better a Max Tune will sound, as it sounds pretty good now. Dang it...... :)

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Have you used any of Helix stuff? They have a 12 channel amp I’m interested in.
Helix is top notch.
You cannot do wrong with choosing a Helix. I know they are pricey in the USA (compared to over here in Germany), but they are definitely worth every single $.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I googled and see the shop (KBT) is in between Brunswick, GA, and Jacksonville, FL which is about 3 1/2 hours from me. I will give them a call. I am wondering how much better a Max Tune will sound, as it sounds pretty good now. Dang it...... :)
I look at it as I spent good money for the best amps and speakers JL offers. Might as well make sure they are performing as best as they can within the confines of the stock mounting positions.
Now, will it be a significant change? Guess that depends on how good your current tune is. Give Glenn a call at his shop and he can give you his opinion. He’s a talker so he’ll have plenty to say. Call after 4 though, he’s usually working in the shop till then and takes his last hour to wind down.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Nice gear. I remember JL Audio being one of theeeeee sub companies back in the day when we all used to put 10" subs in our Honda Preludes and Civics!!!

You've reminded me I need to take my Mustang to the audio shop and have them dynamat the passenger side cause the B&O causes a rattle/reverb with bass.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Nice gear. I remember JL Audio being one of theeeeee sub companies back in the day when we all used to put 10" subs in our Honda Preludes and Civics!!!

You've reminded me I need to take my Mustang to the audio shop and have them dynamat the passenger side cause the B&O causes a rattle/reverb with bass.
If you’re comfortable with doing the work you’d save yourself some money if you do it yourself. It’s quite easy and you could do both doors in one evening. Trust me, you’ll notice significantly more bass from your door 6.5s with proper deadening not to mention the solid “thud” the door makes when you close it lol.
Here’s a pic of my door while I was sound deadening. All you need is a roller ($10) and a sharp pair of scissors like you’d find as a hardware store (not some cheap paper cutters). Also, Dynamat is a bit pricier than many other companies and their product isn’t any better than other popular brands. Save a few dollars by going with another popular brand.
9C40AB0E-21BE-47CF-9A43-F2E6791ECD24.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MCS

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Go with Resonix. Probably the best on the market in the US right now.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Thanks, fellas. It'll be next year as I'm putting her to bed in November (most likely on the 2nd).

OP
OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Thanks and again, I agree. Good money spent deserves the best tuning available.

I look at it as I spent good money for the best amps and speakers JL offers. Might as well make sure they are performing as best as they can within the confines of the stock mounting positions.
Now, will it be a significant change? Guess that depends on how good your current tune is. Give Glenn a call at his shop and he can give you his opinion. He’s a talker so he’ll have plenty to say. Call after 4 though, he’s usually working in the shop till then and takes his last hour to wind down.
Sponsored