B&O 10" sub replacement guide

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
I would have to say that is incorrect. There are many many many dual 4 ohm voice coils subs wired to a 2 ohm configurations. The method of wiring is what brings the dual 4ohms down to 2 ohms.

The stock B&O sub is wired to present a 2 ohm load.
of course but that’s not what he asked.
Sponsored

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
All my JL audio subs are double voice coil, I wire them to 2 ohms. Works. 4 leads, tie two blacks together and two reds together and each red and black wire go In amp.

what am I missing here
I didn’t say you can’t do that. You asked if you need to wire it for 2ohm and you don’t and probably shouldn’t if using the factor amp.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I suggest looking at how wiring affects total ohms. I'm referring to your statement about dual voice coil 4ohms subs. I decided to go to a external sub and enclosure, so haven't paid much attention to what wires into the stock sub location. I haven't looked at the dsp diagrams, but based on how the wiring was run to the stock subwoofer, Im going to say total ohms is 2 to the stock dsp/amp.

No its not. Look at the diagram, each coil is a discrete channel to the DSP.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am 99% positive the final ohms for the sub is 2ohms. I believe 15-17 is 2ohms and 18+ prob didn’t change.

Sponsored

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I suggest looking at how wiring affects total ohms. I'm referring to your statement about dual voice coil 4ohms subs. I decided to go to a external sub and enclosure, so haven't paid much attention to what wires into the stock sub location. I haven't looked at the dsp diagrams, but based on how the wiring was run to the stock subwoofer, Im going to say total ohms is 2 to the stock dsp/amp.
Maybe suggest the same to you look how wiring affects total ohms and look at the diagram.

There are 4 discreet wires from the DSP to the sub. For the amp to “see” 2 ohms from a DVC sub where each coil is 4ohm (unless done internal to the dsp) there would have to be only 2 wires connected to the sub. One to the first coil’s positive terminal and one to the other coil’s negative.

Xander33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Hey all. I have decided to do a full out audio build after purchasing the Pioneer sub. Free to a good home, just have to pay shipping, or I’m in CT if anyone is local.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Hey all. I have decided to do a full out audio build after purchasing the Pioneer sub. Free to a good home, just have to pay shipping, or I’m in CT if anyone is local.
Sorry, what are you selling? The Pioneer sub?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Hey you could be right.l about that wiring.

Maybe suggest the same to you look how wiring affects total ohms and look at the diagram.

There are 4 discreet wires from the DSP to the sub. For the amp to “see” 2 ohms from a DVC sub where each coil is 4ohm (unless done internal to the dsp) there would have to be only 2 wires connected to the sub. One to the first coil’s positive terminal and one to the other coil’s negative.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just a quick comment about the wiring: Each pair of wire connectors are at the same location on the Pioneer as stock, so there's basically only one way to connect them, since the top cable wouldn't reach the bottom connector properly. Even just releasing the terminals leaves the 2 cables borderline short. Finally, the curvature of the 2 cables make it obvious if they were connected to the top or bottom sub connector, so no need to even label them when you remove the sub. All you just have to make sure is which wires are '+', and which '-'. What I did for the bottom connectors (which I connected last) is to put a piece of blue tape on the negative post, since you can't see which one is which, since they're marked at the bottom. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Calisp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
PLEASE READ!!! There is someone who continues to post on this thread that has no experience with the B&O system. He has a '17 with Shaker. This is unfortunate because his posts give opinions and details that apply to the Shaker system and subwoofer, NOT THE B&O SYSTEM THAT IS THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD!!!

Mestisoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS 10R80 - 2008 GT/CS 230K miles - 1956 F100 Panel 351C & C6
Vehicle Showcase
Think it’s partly due to the equalizer too. There’s bass roll off that hits pretty hard after 18 volume to me
Yeah it's pretty sad that you can max this B&O to 26 and it doesn't even distort.
It's like it needs to go to 30 or something.

Mestisoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/CS 10R80 - 2008 GT/CS 230K miles - 1956 F100 Panel 351C & C6
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you want it to distort ?

All that will do is damage your speakers
I didn't say I wanted it to distort. I said that the B&O pegged, will not distort.
Every stereo system has it's breaking point and distorts.
I've never had one that if you pegged it full volume, it was still crystal clear with no distortion.
The B&O sounds like it could go to 30 but it stops at 26 with no distortion.
My 08 Shaker 1000 sounds better and louder with more ooomph.
Granted I changed out the door and deck speakers but the subs are stock.

OP
OP
Gregs24

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I didn't say I wanted it to distort. I said that the B&O pegged, will not distort.
Every stereo system has it's breaking point and distorts.
I've never had one that if you pegged it full volume, it was still crystal clear with no distortion.
The B&O sounds like it could go to 30 but it stops at 26 with no distortion.
My 08 Shaker 1000 sounds better and louder with more ooomph.
Granted I changed out the door and deck speakers but the subs are stock.
Not sure how you can tell it will go to 30 without distortion when it stops at 26 !

Setting the maximum volume at a level that does not distort is entirely sensible.
Sponsored