Are Mustangs Dangerous?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
So definately the first youtube is really the best one! Go Grace! For the sad guy that was stuck on I95, I was 14 that year and my friend down the street older brother and his buddies took a camper up to Woodstock. We asked our folks if we could go with them, please, please. They had the good sense to say No fr**king way! So a few years later I was up in NYC at the Fillmore East watching Ozzie! LOL

Oh Mustangs dangerous? Some time ago I had a '72 Buick Skylark V8, up on two wheels in my girlfriends neighborhood, killed some young trees, all four wheels off the pavement on NJ farm roads with loaded car, not on purpose later also scared a farmer and family on their front porch one evening exited the road headed straight for the porch, cut between giant oak and porch back on to the road and kept going. It really is the nut behind the wheel not the car.
Sponsored

Deleted member 56911

Heā€™s a mopar guy. He has lots of videos belittling Mustangs.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
video struck me more as bad satire than serious...or at least I hope so....because....yeah....

Sponsored

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
Are stupid drivers more dangerous?

Redfuzzbutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I have heard that the traction control can chop the throttle unexpectantly causing oversteer. There are several levels of "off" concerning traction control. Practicing the limits of the car in a controlled environment, like autocross, is the best way to learn how your car will handle adverse situations.
The last time I drove in sport mode with the TC disengaged, I purposefully did an easy slide around a turn with a little fish tail afterwards. 3/4 of the way through, advance Trac kicked in and I had to quickly adjust what I was doing.

I now drive in track mode for casual driving. It may sound silly but for the car to adjust its own dynamics unexpectedly really put a bad taste in my mouth.
If I'm pushing my own driving limits, I'm leaving the nannies engaged but overall, I'm a pretty mellow driver.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I am old enough and lucky enough to have driven rear wheel drive cars (low power) with no traction control. I learned early on that control of the ass of the car takes practice. On wet roads (ice is even better) you get to play at slow enough speeds to give you time to catch the car, counter-steer, modulate the throttle etc. As your experience builds up you get more aggressive or up the speeds. Taking a 480HP car out of the showroom having never driven a rear wheel drive before, on dry roads where the speeds are going to be higher and reactions times way faster to learn how to manage it? No way, no how. Add in supper grippy Michelin cups etc and now you are talking some serious velocities and/or throttle inputs when it all gets away from you.

I would highly recommend spending a few bucks and getting on a skid pan. They are great fun, you will be smiling all the time, you get to practice at slow speeds and really get a feel for managing the power/grip/inertia equation. And with the cradle type they can vary the grip on all 4 tires or front to back to let you experience different slides and speeds. If you can't afford that and live in cold climates try an empty car park with the nannies turned off doing figure of eights at slow speeds working up to breakaway speeds.

Then recognize that high speed power slides are a different animal again and you'll need to practice those as well.

Meanwhile I'll happily let the nannies help me because I'd rather be a wuss than wrap my car around a tree. :)

EDIT I am talking about on the street, for the track guys, totally different conversation

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Is everybody paying attention to the world we live in? Even toyota Corollas and Nissan Rouges are dangerous AF. To many distracted drivers overly consumed with tender and Twitter. Or face timing some chick while they drive into work at 4am. Wtf? Either you just F'ed her or she ain't giving it to you. Either way your a bitch for calling her! :crackup:

Sponsored

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
Definetly a dangerous car if you are an idiot. But when.. even a 75hp Civic is dangerous...
One large issue is Price/performance. And probably american drivers and their lack of proper drivers Ed...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's as dangerous as the person behind the wheel...

Marshmallows can be dangerous too...

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
My DD RWD Lexus (306hp) is a completely different traction control system than what Ford uses, for the better. Even in my RWD Tundra, I can knowingly chose the level of invasive technology Iā€™d like to keep on.
Both the Japanese rides are very predictable, when TC/VSC is turned on or turned off.

The Mustang, (I know, itā€™s over 100hp more) still does not seem to have such a smart system. Testing the waters on wet surfaces left me somewhat uncomfortable with the way traction control was introduced into the drive terrain when the rear comes out on you. Iā€™d honestly almost rather deal with zero traction control, just so itā€™s predictable. Itā€™s as if reaction times are not quick enough. Kind of like the A10 trans shifting so damn hard and late lol.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Yeah I know. Iā€™m an old guy and Iā€™m stuck in the old daysā€¦but back in the late ā€˜60s we had to learn how to drive our cars pretty quickly, and we did. Or else. Personally, if these cars had a master nanny switch itā€™d be the first thing Iā€™d flip off every time I fired it up. I HATE having the car try to do my driving for me.

For me, I gotta think about it every time I want to do something simple as a little pull. The other day I had a friend with me who is a real car guy and wanted to see how the car felt going through the gears. So I flipped off TC then put her in Drag Strip mode and went about my business. At 7500 rpms just after the 1-2 upshift it was spinning pretty good and then I noticed a little bog. Damn! I had forgotten that you have to disable TC AFTER you go in to DS mode, not before. Otherwise the computer will put at least a little throttle chop back in.

I miss the days when stupid people were frequently allowed to 86 themselves before they had a chance to reproduce, and intelligent people werenā€™t penalized so the idiots were protected. If you can find one still running, try out a pre-nanny lawn mower and experience the simple joy.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Coming from a 17 year old driverā€¦ the mustang really isnā€™t bad. I had driven an awd Tesla model 3 performance for a few months and a bmw 128i for a few months.
I started pushing the rwd bmw a bit and while trying to slide a left hand turn I almost crashed. Since then Iā€™ve just told myself to be a lot more patient and not full send things.

My mustang gt had been a real treat. I rarely feel worried about braking traction (with or without tc). And Iā€™ve started pushing the car around some round-abouts. I feel like it is fairly easy to tell what the car is doing. I can tell when the rear wheels arenā€™t gripping much and Iā€™ve started pushing the car to where I feel the front tires start to loose grip.

Smoking first gear is easy and painless and I can comfortly floor the car and keep in my lane while spinning.

I just think there is lots of shit drivers who try to do something cool and epically failā€¦ I saw an eco boost crash while acceleratingā€¦ in a straight line. That person should automatically get demoted to bicycle.
Sponsored