Any Calimer Mt-82 guys out there

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hey all! I was just curious what your impressions are of the Stage 2 and 3 Calimer Mt-82's from those that have went with him. I have heard nothing but positive regarding the transmissions longevity. Does the Stage 3 have substantial whine from the gears?
Sponsored

Bioni007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 5.0
I'm about to pull the trigger with a stage 3
But I'm going to keep the 23 spline

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to pull the trigger with a stage 3
But I'm going to keep the 23 spline
Excited to hear the updates. I am probably looking at pulling trigger next winter so planning ahead.

Bioni007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 5.0
Are you going keep the 23 spline are going with the upgrade one 26

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Are you going keep the 23 spline are going with the upgrade one 26
I would probably go with the 23 so I can stay with more stock style parts. The stage 3 is probably overkill for me as I will be happy with a 10 second car that remains super tame and able to still drive for date nights etc. but rather have a little more than I need then vice versa

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was just curious what your impressions are of the Stage 2 and 3 Calimer Mt-82's
If your car is a 2018 (like your sig says), you have the MT82 D4, and as far as I've read on this forum, he doesn't work on those trannies yet. But at least you don't have the rev-matching D4, so there's a chance, because for sure he doesn't work on 2019+ D4s, because of that. Call him, and post any updates here, since I could be wrong. I'm going just for what I've read in the past :). Good luck.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Subscribing. I'm torn between the Calimer stage 3 or Magnum XL when the time comes.

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
If your car is a 2018 (like your sig says), you have the MT82 D4, and as far as I've read on this forum, he doesn't work on those trannies yet. But at least you don't have the rev-matching D4, so there's a chance, because for sure he doesn't work on 2019+ D4s, because of that. Call him, and post any updates here, since I could be wrong. I'm going just for what I've read in the past :). Good luck.
I’ve heard for awhile that he is working in 18+ but even if not you can always just get the pre-2018 and get throw out bearing clutch and I think clutch cable.

Tee-Dots79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP2
Old thread, but I thought I'd chime in...

I'm running a stage 3 D4 w/ an MGW flatstick. It completely changed the car. Shifts are firm and direct. The ratios are different - now 1:1 is 4th gear, as opposed to the stock 5th 1:1. 6th gear is so tall, it's really not necessary unless you're on the interstate and trying to maintain economy.

Gear whine and general noise are a bit loud, but I like it. My mechanic (owns an FC RX7 w/ a built T56): "Man, I wish my trans was this smooth!"

I just started running an ESS G3, so I didn't take any chances w/ the driveline:
Calimer stage 3, RXT, DSS 3.5" aluminum shaft, DSS 2,000 hp axles. We also installed an 04 GTO clutch reservoir to split the brake and clutch fluid. Oh, and the McLeod braided cable.

Bioni007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 5.0

I'm running a stage 3 D4 w/ an MGW flatstick. It completely changed the car. Shifts are firm and direct. The ratios are different - now 1:1 is 4th gear, as opposed to the stock 5th 1:1. 6th gear is so tall, it's really not necessary unless you're on the interstate and trying to maintain economy.

Gear whine and general noise are a bit loud, but I like it. My mechanic (owns an FC RX7 w/ a built T56): "Man, I wish my trans was this smooth!"

I just started running an ESS G3, so I didn't take any chances w/ the driveline:
Calimer stage 3, RXT, DSS 3.5" aluminum shaft, DSS 2,000 hp axles. We also installed an 04 GTO clutch reservoir to split the brake and clutch fluid. Oh, and the McLeod braided cable.
I’m glad to hear someone else is enjoying the stage 3 from Ben
bc I love mine

I finally done with the breaking in period for my clutch “LPXHD”
so I should be able to get on it now but I have a wife and kids so God knows when…

my clutch is very loud specially in fourth gear but I already knew this so it’s whatever

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1

I'm running a stage 3 D4 w/ an MGW flatstick. It completely changed the car. Shifts are firm and direct. The ratios are different - now 1:1 is 4th gear, as opposed to the stock 5th 1:1.
Are you saying that your D4 was changed to 1:1 is 4th gear? If that was what you were told, then you were lied to. the D4 comes from the factory with fourth as a 1:1. The earlier MT-82's from 11-17 had 5th as 1:1

Tee-Dots79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP2
I’m glad to hear someone else is enjoying the stage 3 from Ben
bc I love mine

I finally done with the breaking in period for my clutch “LPXHD”
so I should be able to get on it now but I have a wife and kids so God knows when…

my clutch is very loud specially in fourth gear but I already knew this so it’s whatever
Here's a clip of a short drive around town, along w/ a wot romp from 2-3:

Tee-Dots79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP2
Are you saying that your D4 was changed to 1:1 is 4th gear? If that was what you were told, then you were lied to. the D4 comes from the factory with fourth as a 1:1. The earlier MT-82's from 11-17 had 5th as 1:1
Even with a 3.73 rear end?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Yes, even with 3.73's. The biggest complaint when the D4's came out was the Gen 3 coyotes have 25 more hp than the gen 2's but they were no faster 0-60 because of the long gearing in the trans. It's like comparing a close ratio 4 speed to a wide ratio. Some who have an 18 with the D4 have switched to the earlier version to get the close ratio coupled with a gen 3 engine, it's the best of both worlds. But if you have a rev matching D4 then you are SOL

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Here's a clip of a short drive around town, along w/ a wot romp from 2-3:
Thank you!!! This is 1000% what I was hoping for. Curious if quiets a little more after few thousand miles on her.
Sponsored