br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
the weirdest thing to me is that stangmode didn't ask anyone to buy some merch!!! in his post about the crash.

anyone check to see if he's uploaded a new 20 min youtube vid titled YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FRIENDS CAR!?
might have to wait for the part 2 video for him to show any evidence of oil on the road......so make sure to like and subscribe so you dont miss out

He's working that YouTube gig, gotta pitch the merch!
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Merch and give aways. Even if was not a blown oil filter at 60
.really think he’s gonna say otherwise on his own channel, that his insurance company might go watch?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but I think it was listed more in response to someone suggesting it would show a "drastic loss in oil PSI..." which the EDR will not show. Ford might have access to that information another way but not through the EDR.
How about :

The "Black Box" data for the 2016 Mustangs (all models) will only provide the following data:

F00K108783 The CDR report may provide you with the following data elements for each crash record:
  • Faults Present at Start of Event
Would low oil pressure not class as a fault ?

@dpAtlanta - would that list be any different (more comprehensive) for a 2020 ?

WD :like:

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Here is the 2020 Mustang data (All models).
I just cut and pasted, I did not look to see if any lines are different... just a quick cut/paste.

F00K108783 The CDR report may provide you with the following data elements for each crash record:

• Faults Present at Start of Event
  • Longitudinal and Lateral Delta-V
  • Pre-Crash Data (-1 Second)
    • Ignition cycle, crash
    • Frontal air bag warning lamp, on/off
    • Occupant size classification, front passenger (Child size Yes/No [Hex value])
    • Safety belt status, driver
    • Seat track position switch, foremost, status, driver
    • Seat track position switch, foremost, status, front passenger
    • Safety belt status, front passenger
    • Brake Telltale
    • ABS Telltale
    • ESC/TC Telltale
    • ESC/TC Off Telltale
    • Speed Control Telltale
    • Powertrain Wrench Telltale
    • Powertrain Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Telltale

• Pre-Crash Data (-5 Seconds to 0, 2 samples/sec)
    • Speed, vehicle indicated MPH
    • "Accelerator pedal, % full"
    • Service brake, on/off
    • Engine RPM
    • ABS activity (engaged, non-engaged)
    • Brake Powertrain Torque Request (Yes, No)
    • Traction Control via Brakes (engaged, non-engaged)
    • Engine Torque (N-m)
    • Driver Gear Select (Auto Trans)

• Pre-Crash Data (-5 Seconds to 0, 10 samples/sec)
    • Stability Control Lateral Acceleration (g)
    • Stability Control Longitudinal Acceleration (g)
    • Stability Control Yaw Rate (deg/sec)

• System Status at Time of Retrieval
    • VIN as programmed into RCM at factory
    • Current VIN from PCM
    • Ignition cycle, download (first record)
    • Ignition cycle, download (second record)
    • Restraints Control Module Part and Serial Numbers
    • Restraints Control Module Software Part Number (Version)
    • Restraints Control Sensor Serial Numbers

• System Status at Event
    • Complete file recorded (yes,no)
    • Multi-event, number of events
    • Time from event 1 to 2 (msec)
    • Lifetime Operating Timer at event time zero (seconds)
    • Key-on Timer at event time zero (seconds)
    • Vehicle voltage at time zero (Volts)
    • Energy Reserve Mode entered during event (Y/N)
    • Parameters reporting time RCM and satellite sensors lost relative to time zero (if applicable)

• Deployment Data
    • Supported airbag and associated stage deployment times in (msec)
    • Supported pretensioner deployment times in (msec)
    • Maximum delta-V, longitudinal (MPH[km/h])
    • Time, maximum delta-V longitudinal (msec)
    • Maximum delta-V, lateral (MPH[km/h])
    • Time, maximum delta-V lateral (msec)
    • Supported parameters reporting satellite sensors discriminating deployment (if applicable)
    • Supported parameters reporting satellite sensors safing or confirming deployment (if applicable)

As far as the oil loss issuing a fault code... you would need to image the EDR data and read the data limitations. The data limitations are different for every make and model of vehicle; they don't always change from year to year.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Merch and give aways. Even if was not a blown oil filter at 60
.really think he’s gonna say otherwise on his own channel, that his insurance company might go watch?
i tried to look at the instagram of the guy that wrecked this gt350 but its private. wonder if that was a recent development to quickly hide some less than responsible driving on the street....

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
With Stangmodes legal background, I’m surprised he posted anything about this
.he should know better.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
With Stangmodes legal background, I’m surprised he posted anything about this
.he should know better.
he has a legal background? huh. i would have guessed he was a top gun instructor with those sweet green tinted aviators

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
He worked at a law firm (it’s what he says)and was let go when Covid hit, but I don’t think he has a law degree. I quit watching him soon as he pleaded for you to buy merch merch merch. T shirts, key rings and other useless stuff for the most part.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree that something seems awfully off base with the oil filter statement/remark being blatantly posted by SM on his IG page.

The GT350 in question has a belly pan like the GT/EB w/PP's. The oil filter is ABOVE the enclosed belly pan. IF the oil filter came loose, oil will hit the hit engine block causing smoke and being under pressure at the supposed "60mph", oil will spray for sure, but most fluid will get deflected by the belly pan, and the engine bay side skirting/wheel well liners.

IF so much oil filled the belly pan and from the "blowback due to traveling speed, where's the slick on the road?

Let's really discuss this ... because if an oil filter suddenly came loose - and the car was traveling at say the "60mph" that SM is putting on his IG blurb:

- @60mph @"x"RPM's how much oil is going to be pumped out of the engine onto belly pan that would saturate the roadway via an under car trail?

- Not to mention IF there was such an event, the FIRST inkling of an oil filter spraying would be an immediate smell of burning oil as it hits the hot engine, smoke from under hood - and if the driver isn't slowing down, a Spy Hunter-like smoke scene from the oil splashing all along the hot exhaust... At that point, would you all agree the driver wouid be slowing down and pulling off, rather than continuing at speed?

There's a lot of questions to be asked.

The vehicle's black box and modules will have recorded all events - even a drastic loss in oil psi IF the oil filter came loose and was spraying volumes of oil.

The "oil filter came loose" is a grab by SM - because he's got contacts and is a so called "online influencer" with followers.

Has there been any Class Action about S550 Shelby oil filters coming loose or being the cause of ANY documented accident? None that I can find - so again, the "oil filter came loose" is extremely suspect.

How many Track Attack Shelby S550's had their oil filters come loose and oil down the track or cause the drivers to go off track and wreck?
I appreciate your assessment, but you missed something. The GT350 with a spin-on has an opening into the front left wheel well that is often used to access and change the filter because it's easier than doing it from below. If the filter comes completely off, the mount will shoot oil straight at the back of the LF front wheel.

Sponsored

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
How about :

Would low oil pressure not class as a fault ?

WD :like:
It’s been a long time since I dealt with data recovery from an EDR using a CDR but at the time ( and I still think this holds true today) the sole purpose of an EDR was to monitor and assess vehicle safety system performance. With that in mind any fault monitoring would be directly related to the vehicle‘a safety system ( seat belt, airbags, ABS, etc). Oil pressure was not monitored then and I don’t believe it would be today either.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
It’s been a long time since I dealt with data recovery from an EDR using a CDR but at the time ( and I still think this holds true today) the sole purpose of an EDR was to monitor and assess vehicle safety system performance. With that in mind any fault monitoring would be directly related to the vehicle‘a safety system ( seat belt, airbags, ABS, etc). Oil pressure was not monitored then and I don’t believe it would be today either.
Bosch started including DTC’s active at AE (algorithm enable) or when the system wakes up and starts recording.
If a sudden loss of oil pressure set off a DTC and the check engine light came on, that might be what Ford is indicating with “Faults Present at Start of Event”. Every manufacturer has different nomenclature for data. Of the hundreds of downloads I’ve done, I have no ‘15 - ‘20 Mustangs yet.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
Bosch started including DTC’s active at AE (algorithm enable) or when the system wakes up and starts recording.
If a sudden loss of oil pressure set off a DTC and the check engine light came on, that might be what Ford is indicating with “Faults Present at Start of Event”. Every manufacturer has different nomenclature for data. Of the hundreds of downloads I’ve done, I have no ‘15 - ‘20 Mustangs yet.
I kind of figured things have evolved a bit in the many years since I worked with this stuff. Good info!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I appreciate your assessment, but you missed something. The GT350 with a spin-on has an opening into the front left wheel well that is often used to access and change the filter because it's easier than doing it from below. If the filter comes completely off, the mount will shoot oil straight at the back of the LF front wheel.
Let’s really think about that . . . “if the filter comes completely off” statement.

The filter adapter has a threaded stud that is what at least 1” at the minimum and how many threads? How much vibration would it take for the filter to come completely off the filter adapter?

And prior to ANY screw on filter “coming completely off”, there would be definitive signs that:

1) the filter was previously loose after other drives, because the belly pan trap door would be leaving oil on the ground anywhere that car parked. Even if owner wasn’t attentive to seeing oil on the ground, the engine would be low on oil, or oil psi would be off from the norm.

2) if the filter did wriggle loose there would be oil burning smell and smoke after oil has sprayed a hot engine and/or exhaust manifolds @ “60 mph” - way before that filter would have completely unscrewed itself and fell off.

How long does it take for the oil filter to completely unscrew itself from the threaded stud from engine vibration until it just “falls completely off”? We’re talking actual revolutions of that filter unscrewing itself completely.

Why, if this is such a “known issue”, as SM states it to be, that:

1) The Ford Performance Racing School Track Pack Shelby’s weren’t loosing oil filters across the track (or leaving oil slicks, or drivers going off the track and wrecking)?

2) There’s absolutely NO NHTSA recalls for such a dangerous “defect”? If this problem was so detrimental, not only to the health of the engine, but to the safety of the driver and public, there would be an NHTSA investigation and subsequent recall.

3) There’s NO Class Action suits to date, 6 years after production regarding GT350 oil filters coming loose, unscrewing themselves and falling off OR causing accidents, fires, injury or death.

Even if the Owner did his own oil change and there was something amiss with the filter - upon instant start up of that engine, with oil instant pressure - there would be a blatant “oh shit” moment in the garage, driveway OR just backing the car out or pulling away.

In no way am I stating blame or down playing this owners unfortunate event - all I’m saying is - the statement made by SM that this wreck was the result of “a loose oil filter and driving all over oil” is not adding up, it just isn’t.

If you are traveling at 60mph and your oil filter comes loose, you’re going to know BEFORE it magically falls off AND common sense is going to tell you - you’re not continuing at that rate of speed, you’re slowing and pulling off the road.

Even if it’s possible that oil can spray a direct hit from the filter location onto the back side of the left front wheel - there’s still (3) more unaffected wheels still in contact with dry pavement with functional brakes that can still assist with slowing the momentum of the car.

Where was that wreck - anyone know the location or can do a geolocate off the photos? By the few posted images, was this a rural road where vehicles can open it up?

Not trying to start a bitchfest, I’m looking at it from a logical perspective and that’s the direction of the discussion

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
He worked at a law firm (it’s what he says)and was let go when Covid hit, but I don’t think he has a law degree. I quit watching him soon as he pleaded for you to buy merch merch merch. T shirts, key rings and other useless stuff for the most part.
I haven’t watched him in a while either, for different reasons.
As I remember he was/ is a Paralegal.
Sponsored