Another one bites the dust

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
From that pic it sure looks like that car has some serious pace at the time of impact.

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
in the post he said the friend was doing ~60 mph

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Glad the guy is ok...

but...

"the oil filter came loose"

And who exactly determined that? Was there a visible oil dump and slick on the roadway before the car left the road?

The damages in the pics - the vehicle could have been going faster than 60mph (no one knows at this point). The crash investigation will determine that from the recovered modules that record every instance from brake pedal modulation, speed, if brakes were applied, what rpm/speed/sensor activity was before impact, etc etc etc.

That car could have been traveling faster than 60 before it left the road.

Post pics of the oil dump and slick on the roadway that the attending Police/EMT's found...

Last edited:
OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Glad the guy is ok...

but...

"the oil filter came loose"

And who exactly determined that? Was there a visible oil dump and slick on the roadway before the car left the road?

The damages in the pics - the vehicle could have been going faster than 60mph (no one knows at this point). The crash investigation will determine that from the recovered modules that record every instance from brake pedal modulation, speed, if brakes were applied, what rpm/speed/sensor activity was before impact, etc etc etc.

That car could have been traveling faster than 60 before it left the road.

Post pics of the oil dump and slick on the roadway that the attending Police/EMT's found...
Those are excellent points and questions. I had the same thought: who/how was that determined? But I can only go off what I saw in Stangmode's IG post, where he says the car "spilled oil everywhere and left him & his Shelby Gt350 driving on all oil ".

It's sad to see a mustang in this condition, what is notable is that while the car looks pretty bad, pinned to a tree, the driver walked away from the accident with scrapes and bruises. He's very lucky!

RRM350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
It's sad to see a mustang in this condition, what is notable is that while the car looks pretty bad, pinned to a tree, the driver walked away from the accident with scrapes and bruises. He's very lucky!
Dude didn't walk away, look at the A pillar, that thing was cut with a firefighter saw, and the post says he is in the trauma center, just that he will make it... which, is still pretty amazing considering the pictures.

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Dude didn't walk away, look at the A pillar, that thing was cut with a firefighter saw, and the post says he is in the trauma center, just that he will make it... which, is still pretty amazing considering the pictures.
The driver responded later that he's OK, has a bruised hip and a nose bleed from the airbag. In my book that's "walking away" but whatever.
8F0321E4-E43B-4819-B3A2-555E86A56C0E.jpeg

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming the driver was conscious enough to take a photo of himself pinned in the car whilst they cut him out ?

1652879464236.png

Side note : bag looks a bit snotty and the dash shape suggests the width between the A pillars has been reduced considerably.

If that photo is a snapshot from a body mounted GoPro or similar, I guess there's real good evidence of exactly what happened.

WD :like:

edit : I see the driver has confirmed a nose bleed - glad he is OK :like:

Sponsored

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
is there a known issue with GT 350s losing oil filters more often than normal? legit question, not just being a dick. if there is, that is pretty f'ed up.

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
is there a known issue with GT 350s losing oil filters more often than normal? legit question, not just being a dick. if there is, that is pretty f'ed up.
The MY '15/'16 and early '17 GT350 have spin-on style oil filters that can vibrate loose if they aren't torqued on properly. The mid '17+ have the canister style filter which fixes the issue. It doesn't seem very common, but the spin-on filters have been known to come off and cause serious problems. This is the first accident I've seen that someone suggested the cause was the filter coming off - but maybe it happens a lot more than I'm aware. I have a '16 GT350 with the spin-on filter, so it is a little disconcerting to see 😯

Last edited:

Kramerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The MY '15/'16 GT350 have spin-on style oil filters that can vibrate loose if they aren't torqued on properly. The '17+ have the canister style filter which fixes the issue. It doesn't seem very common, but the spin-on filters have been known to come off and cause serious problems. This is the first accident I've seen that someone suggested the cause was the filter coming off - but maybe it happens a lot more than I'm aware. I have a '16 GT350 with the spin-on filter, so it is a little disconcerting to see 😯
I have an early 2017 build with a spin on filter. My car sees track time a few times a year and the occasional weekend blast, never an issue. IMO if torqued to spec, its a non-issue. I'd rest easy.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
The MY '15/'16 GT350 have spin-on style oil filters that can vibrate loose if they aren't torqued on properly. The '17+ have the canister style filter which fixes the issue. It doesn't seem very common, but the spin-on filters have been known to come off and cause serious problems. This is the first accident I've seen that someone suggested the cause was the filter coming off - but maybe it happens a lot more than I'm aware. I have a '16 GT350 with the spin-on filter, so it is a little disconcerting to see 😯
interesting. ive only ever seen the spin on kind on the 4 vehicles ive owned.

glad the driver was ok. sucks to see the car like that.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
60... yeah lol
Good you are okay obviously.

I just think they are building a "foundation" for a case in court with the "filter came loose" -IMO
Sponsored