br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
^^^^

This guy is taking the phrase "Hot Lap" to a whole new level...!!!
The Mach1 guys are gonna be so jealous

(Relax, It's a joke 🤣)

SRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
Horrific!
My good friend was killed when his friends mustang snapped out bounced off a concrete road side planter into a tree sideways. The friend is a quad now.
This happened to my uncle in a porsche, the hit a tree sideways, the tree was like 5" in diameter thick but completely fucked up the porsche. Driver died and my uncle has back problems.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
It's a staged photo.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's a staged photo.
Which one is staged? The one I posted is real - I can dig and find the thread back in 2016 if you'd like, but I don't want to waste my time on it. Ford honored his warranty - he got a replacement CAR.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's a staged photo.
If you are referring to the (i believe it was a track pack) model on fire, it is absolutely real. Joe (itllrun) was the driver and the oil line fitting blew. I believe it was the precursor to the oil line recall that occurred.

Back then, Rs were made of unobtainium. You couldn't get them and if you found one, there was a huge ADM. Ford realized they F'd up and got him an allocation for a replacement car (R model) at no cost to him.

The way the story ended is that he brought the car to a stop and it just so happened to be that it was at a flag station that had fire fighting equipment. Joe was fine and as expected, the car was a total loss.

Something similar happened to me while I was instructing at Daytona. I was doing a demo session with my student in his car. When we pulled into the pits, there was smoke coming out from under the hood. I had a lot of experience with oil pressure sensors coming loose and figured it was just that. Once I opened the hood, there was a big fireball. I ran to an extinguisher and quickly put the fire out after dumping almost a full bottle on it.

Obviously my story isn't of the magnitude of what happened to Joe, but this is real and can happen to any of us at any given time if something let's loose.

This kind of stuff does happen. All the ingredients that can support a fire all seem to be right around those cherry red hot headers. For that reason, anytime I go out, I always verify all those sensors, fittings, and connections that could cause something like this.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Which one is staged? The one I posted is real - I can dig and find the thread back in 2016 if you'd like, but I don't want to waste my time on it. Ford honored his warranty - he got a replacement CAR.
Not only that, they got him an R

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Thanks Tomster... that was good of Prater Ford to replace the vehicle. I'll have to mention this to Jim Prater next time I see him; we're old college/fraternity buddies!

I know, it was 6 years ago, but a good reason to connect with past friends.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tomster... that was good of Prater Ford to replace the vehicle. I'll have to mention this to Jim Prater next time I see him; we're old college/fraternity buddies!

I know, it was 6 years ago, but a good reason to connect with past friends.
It was both the dealer and Ford who got together and made that happen. Quite honestly, he deserved it. He almost got killed and he probably would have had he not dropped the car into 1st gear.

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
If it’s a concern K&N used to make filters with safety wire holes in them. There are 2 small holes in the hex cap on the bottom, safety wire is cheap insurance. You can buy a set of knock off pliers if you don’t want to do it by hand. I had some doubts about my 7.3 F-250 oil plug loosening up so I drilled the head and always safety wire it. I work on Jets for a living so I have had a lot of practice over the years. That’s the way I would do it if I had doubts. A 350 is an expensive car to loose.

I have an early 2017 build with a spin on filter. My car sees track time a few times a year and the occasional weekend blast, never an issue. IMO if torqued to spec, its a non-issue. I'd rest easy.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I have an early 2017 build with a spin on filter. My car sees track time a few times a year and the occasional weekend blast, never an issue. IMO if torqued to spec, its a non-issue. I'd rest easy.
If your worried about a spin on oil filter coming off, just put a band clamp around the filter and run safety wire to a post of some sort. Worries solved. Good Luck

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
No they didn't do a recall just changed to canister in 2018. If you oil the gasket and torque it on to specs written right on top of the filter it ain't gonna come loose.
Maybe they had their oil changed at Jiffy Lube. I've seen a lot of Jiffy Lube oil filters that were barely finger-tight on Hondas, Toyotas, etc. It seems their guys don't know how to tighten oil filters properly.

OP
OP
br_an

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Maybe they had their oil changed at Jiffy Lube. I've seen a lot of Jiffy Lube oil filters that were barely finger-tight on Hondas, Toyotas, etc. It seems their guys don't know how to tighten oil filters properly.
Many years ago I had my oil changed at a place like that, maybe it had that very same name :wink: and the smoothbrains working there forgot to put the oil cap back on after filling the oil. I drove home and noticed something was off with how my car was running. Looked under the hood and found the cap was missing. Called the lube shop but they lost the cap and really didn't seem to care, pretty much "oh well" was the response. I should have raised hell but I had too many other things going on and didn't have the bandwidth. I had to get a new cap from the dealership, and I've since learned how to change my own oil.

If you use a lube shop, (unless you know and trust them) it's wise to double check their work!
Sponsored