Sponsored

Another engine failure

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
2017 gt pp with ford performance pack 2.
22k miles
While driving I felt the engine slightly down in horsepower below 4500 , check engine light on. Cylinder 8 misfiring
Car is at dealer, no compression on 8, tearing engine down per Ford
Great dealer
Replaced already 2 engines on my friend similar car. Same issue than me
Nice than ford is footing the bills but would be nicer to find the root cause of the issue
Dealer say that lack of compression is not due to valve/head so I assume rings or piston
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Road course?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ringland? Stock cats?

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Ringland? Stock cats?
Lot of suspension modifications but the engine is completely stock save for the Ford power pack 2

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Did they ever ask you for power pack installation records (since it has to be SAE technician) ?
With car being 2017, the Ford Performance warranty should be gone, so they're doing that using original powertrain warranty (which is nice if that's the case) ?

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Did they ever ask you for power pack installation records (since it has to be SAE technician) ?
With car being 2017, the Ford Performance warranty should be gone, so they're doing that using original powertrain warranty (which is nice if that's the case) ?
I registered my power pack with ford performance so it show it when they run my vin with their system
Yes they are doing it under the power train warranty and it’s why I took my car to that dealership under the recommendation of my friend that had 2 engines replaced by them. He also run a pack 3
A good dealership is priceless

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; This may be unrelated. There is a thread ongoing about secondary chain tensioners not being properly activated. Since there is great interest in what may be the root cause of engine failures, have you been following that thread?
It may be a long shot but some number have reported the tensioner not being properly extended. It can be checked with a small mirror. You may not be able to do such a check now, but it might be of interest to know if your tensioners were working properly.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It seems that most of these issues on the Ford Power Packs are where there is only 91 octane available. Anyone been running 93 and have this issue?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Following...

Sponsored
OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I would place the blame squarely on that tune. It sounds exactly like the #8 problem Bama Tunes had on the Gen 1 motors.

Ford can’t dump fuel like other tuners due to CARB.
My friend car has the power pack 3
Yes, I’m in cal so 91 gas
As a preemptive measure I will use a good octane booster when... shall I say.... run the car hard...
Hard to believe that Ford performance has not fully tested the tune with 91 under harsh conditions.

Last edited:

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
It seems that most of these issues on the Ford Power Packs are where there is only 91 octane available. Anyone been running 93 and have this issue?
Seems 91 is most likely the problem. I've had the pp2 on my 2017 since 12k. Im at 42k. I have 93 in south carolina

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Seems 91 is most likely the problem. I've had the pp2 on my 2017 since 12k. Im at 42k. I have 93 in south carolina
I’m sure that what you use the car for has an impact

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I own a 2019 with the power pack but I can safely say it runs like crap on 91 in comparison. Just made an 800 mile trip where the first half was on 93 and the second 91 (only thing available in the area). It wasn't immediate but the low end just felt lacking and acceleration wasn't smooth (felt like it was missfiring). It just doesn't seem like a tune well suited for anything lower than 93.

I thought the #8 cylinder issue was relegated to gen 1 coyotes, but here we are.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are the Cyl 8 failures due to excessive heat? Does Cyl 8 have any pathways for the PCV system?

Just inquiring because years ago during late 80's mid-90's 5.0/5.8 engines, Ford had issues with the F-Series dropping Cyls 4 and 8; further research determined it had something to do with the original design of the upper intake + PCV system. The fix was correcting the vacuum pathway for the PCV, which also required the Service Techs to modify the upper intake. Future upper intakes were then reconfigured for production and assembly line installs.

Granted the example above is an older engine design that has been surpassed by years of current technology, BUT if the failure is prevalent on Cyl 8, it's not to say prior engineering flaws could resurface again years later in a modern engine design.

I'm curious to know what the correlation and findings are for a Cyl 8 failure.
Sponsored