Sponsored

Annoyned by dealership refusing a test drive

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I have used a local dealership to do work on my car twice. The first time they put on the exahust and the second time the ford performance power pack 2. I have been considering upgrading to the 3.55 gears and have been waiting and waiting for them to get a 2015-2017 auto with that factory option so I can test drive it to decide if the upgrade is worth it to me. Once they had one listed and I called, but the car ended up not actually being there. Well yesterday they finally have one, a 2015 like mine with actual pictures so I know its there. I drive out there and ask to see it and then explain that I want to test drive it to see the difference and that I will have their shop once again do the work if I like it.

The guy tried to sell me a new one, told me about tunes and basically refused to even consider me test driving it because I "would not notice the difference." I finally left after 15 minutes of nonsense. I was not going to race the thing around or anything. I even told him I just really wanted to see the shift points and see how it felt at 40, 45, 55, 60 ect. I am not sure if its worth going back for another try at this point.
Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Extremely rare I'd ever say this but I agree with the dealership. Why would they want someone to test drive a car, add more miles, risk the chance of damage or an accident because you want to compare what your car would be like having parts this car has?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Extremely rare I'd ever say this but I agree with the dealership. Why would they want someone to test drive a car, add more miles, risk the chance of damage or an accident because you want to compare what your car would be like having parts this car has?
I agree, it's not really in their best interest to let a car be driven just because. It's not really fair to the salesperson to take their time with no possibility of a sale.
I suppose you could talk to the general manager and try to get their approval. Or take the disingenuous route and pretend to be interested in buying the car.
The possibility of the dealership doing the install "if" you like it seems to be scant incentive for them to go too far out of the way.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I agree, it's not really in their best interest to let a car be driven just because. It's not really fair to the salesperson to take their time with no possibility of a sale.
I suppose you could talk to the general manager and try to get their approval. Or take the disingenuous route and pretend to be interested in buying the car.
The possibility of the dealership doing the install "if" you like it seems to be scant incentive for them to go too far out of the way.
On top of that, sales and service are treated like 2 different entities. Sales could give 2 craps about service doing work on a car.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
If you have a good rapport with the dealership and salesman they should let you. Back in November of 2013 I needed a way to get a large tool chest from Harbor freight home, so I called up my salesman and he let me borrow a brand new F150 (sticker $49,700) for about 2 hours and I brought it back when I was done.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
i refuse a bunch of test drives a day... people that are "will buy in a few weeks/months", kids that want to drive sport cars, people who want to drive exotics/expensive cars, etc...

somebody asking to test drive a car just to compare it to their current car, it's a no go for me.... unless you have an actual intend of buying, it's a waste of time and money for my guys

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
On top of that, sales and service are treated like 2 different entities. Sales could give 2 craps about service doing work on a car.
So now neither will get the business. I also posit that the OP won't ever buy a new car from them either, so they lost a potential future sale.

All because they didn't want someone to drive a 6 year old car?

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Come back to the dealer with a moustache, baseball cap, and dark sunglasses. Fake ID too. Go for your test drive. :giggle: