Sponsored

100 mile test drive by dealership technicians?

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
I left my GT (10R80) at the dealership for some occasional jerky acceleration issues from stop. The engine and transmission technicians have taken a 100 mile test drive (possibly joy ride?) and have reported that everything is normal. Do you really need a 100 mile drive for this, or am I overthinking?
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
How long was it there for? 100 miles seems excessive.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
I could see driving 50 miles to test it, but 100 is pretty excessive. It possible they have some sort of trouble shooting guide they follow where they test out each gear at a given rpm. But 100 miles seems a lot.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Definitely excessive, but nothing to really be done about it. He can just say he was really giving it a thorough test to try and document the customer concern. And if he did a TCU relearn procedure, then they would definitely want to put some miles on it.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
You got to think if they get paid by the job do they really want to ride around for two hours for nothing? Or if they get paid by the hour I doubt the manager wants them riding around for two hours. If I had to guess, someone probably drove it home like the manager to try to replicate it if you left it over night.

Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You got to think if they get paid by the job do they really want to ride around for two hours for nothing? Or if they get paid by the hour I doubt the manager wants them riding around for two hours. If I had to guess, someone probably drove it home like the manager to try to replicate it if you left it over night.
As a retired tech, this is the most likely scenario

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I left my GT (10R80) at the dealership for some occasional jerky acceleration issues from stop. The engine and transmission technicians have taken a 100 mile test drive (possibly joy ride?) and have reported that everything is normal. Do you really need a 100 mile drive for this, or am I overthinking?
Maybe they should have read this first before going on a 100 mile journey.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...h-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/#post-2787479

Yes, 100 miles seems excessive. You need to ask them why.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
If they were trying to do a A10 reflash, after the software is deleted and then updated, it is required to drive the car through a relearning procedure that takes more than 30 minutes of specific cycles. I know this since the tech gave me the printed out factory procedure for me to perform on my own 2018 GT to reset the transmission. I did the test drive as called for and it worked. It is like a new car.....amazing and no wrenching!

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
As stated, there are some reasons why a longer drive might be required.

If you ask about it, I'd ask politely and not roll in there with attitude. 100 miles isn't going to hurt the car. To put it in perspective, its $57 of mileage at the current IRS business travel reimbursement rates.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
If they were trying to do a A10 reflash, after the software is deleted and then updated, it is required to drive the car through a relearning procedure that takes more than 30 minutes of specific cycles. I know this since the tech gave me the printed out factory procedure for me to perform on my own 2018 GT to reset the transmission. I did the test drive as called for and it worked. It is like a new car.....amazing and no wrenching!
I requested them to reflash but they won't do it as they couldn't duplicate my concern on a few jerky shifts I noticed. All they did was test drive for 100 miles and reported that everything was normal for them. They also told me that I have the latest and greatest software on the tranny. SA today says he had three of them test drive (engine tech, tranny tech and not sure who the other one was!) and 50-100 miles of test drive is normal. Strange!

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Whatever the reason, there's no freaking way 100 miles is acceptable to anybody. If they really had to do that, the least they should have done is talk to the OP, explain the situation, and ask for his permission. That's why many of us NEVER touch a dealer unless we absolutely, positively, have no other choice :D.
Sponsored