Sponsored

Almost turned into a meme

Grey5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I was out driving this weekend and almost turned into one of those stero typical mustangs memes.

Driving down the road minding my business and the car in front of me tries a half ass break check. Thought nothing much of it so I kept going, gave them a little more room and they tried it again. At this point I decide to pass them to the right and accelerate from about 35 to 45 kinda quickly as I turn to the right and as soon as I get about half a car length in front of the car. My cars jolts to the left and I quickly have to recover to not hit the car to my left.

My question is, was this my fault for accelerating to fast or was this that famous "hop" everyone talks about. Either way I've driven this car much harder before and never had that happen before.

For specs it's a 2018 gt 10 spd with the pp1. Lowered about an inch with spacers on the front and back. (Nothing is loose, I checked)

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Enough time behind the wheel of oneof these things and a clear rule comes out: dont turn the steering wheel and step on the gas to pass. D3

OP
OP

Grey5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By passing a potential threat when it's clear to do so is defensive driving.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Didn't mean dont pass. I meant wait to stomp the gas hard until you're traveling straight ahead in the passing lane.

OP
OP

Grey5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my whole point of this was the fact if you accelerate and turn the wheel less then 45 degrees you get a decent amount of oversteer. If I was going 60+ I could understand the comments but 35-45 is hardly a good reason for the car to react like that.

Sponsored

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I’ve only had something like this happen once. It was also in a passing situation. I think the combination of hard acceleration and sharp steering, as others have mentioned, creates a situation where loss of traction becomes highly likely. I’ve found that less throttle is always the answer to traction starting to get questionable. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the car. Could have been an issue with the road (e.g. debris/bump/pothole) too.

OP
OP

Grey5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
" 'd have to disagree. I imagine your post of the events is to the best of your recollection. What state of mind were you in when you attempted to pass? Angry, bothered, scared, etc.? In a scenario like this, if they're already ahead of you, just slow down a couple MPH, create separation. You seemed to have matched their aggression by trying to pass them up and almost causing an accident. "

your taking something and turning it but Ill bite.

The speed limit was 45, I was doing about 35 with about 1-2 car lengths behind the car before the first "break check" after the first one I dropped down to 2-3 and it happened again. Then accelerated from 35-45 to pass the car. Its crazy to me that this is trying to be displayed as crazy?

So I am supposed to go even more under the speed limit to give more space and that ends up putting me in danger as I am now going 15-20 under the speed limit on a 45 mph road with cars behind me during a semi busy weekend? Wow so instead of bypassing a threat you then put your self in danger because you think going the speed limit and accelerating from 35-45 is to dangerous/reckless.

You sound like a cop, hopefully for the rest of us I hope you are not because your reasoning is horrible.

I was simply asking about improvements to a car and trying to turn it into something funny..

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
It's the steering input/body roll and torque output. Happens to me here and there. Much less since I threw every bracing/centering part they make, at it! Lol

Throttle is not an on/off switch, gotta get the car pointed and body settled some before you give it all the beans. #crowdlivesmatter

Rain especially, and cold tires, lots of factors.

I come from high hp fwd/awd cars, 4-500 whp, and learning rwd quirks is interesting. Throttling in turns, oversteer, let outs, lots of things are different feeling. Takes a bit to keep the rear behind you, lol

I did notice huge improvements with Steeda/BMR parts. Its not snake oil.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Those 10R80's will getcha one way or another haha.
Anyways he was probably trying to get you to rear-end them. Happens here a lot. I just point to the dashcam. Smartens their arses up right quick.

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
Almost losing control of your vehicle was completely your fault.
It is your responsibility to keep your vehicle under control. You reacted inappropriately to an ignorant driver by doing something stupid. Passing on the right is almost always the wrong move. Accelerating aggressively to get away from an obviously dangerous driver is also usually not the correct decision. You set yourself up for an even more dangerous reaction, like turning into your path or “chasing” you through traffic. My advice would be to back off or turn off the road you are on. It is best to keep the threat in front of you and create distance when you can.
Take some time to learn how your vehicle will react to aggressive inputs, especially in low traction circumstances.

Also, it’s “brake” not “break”…

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Can I ask, did this situation happen with or without the traction/stability control on?

If were on, this should not have happened as violently as you describe.

If it was off, then you only have yourself to blame.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
my whole point of this was the fact if you accelerate and turn the wheel less then 45 degrees you get a decent amount of oversteer. If I was going 60+ I could understand the comments but 35-45 is hardly a good reason for the car to react like that.
I'm no expert, but I think what caused this is the sudden weight shift due to the sudden acceleration, combined with the front wheels turning. I suspect if you, rather than "stabbing" the gas pedal to reach 45 mp/h quickly (if that is what you did) had pressed it a bit more gently so the car had time to settle, it would not have been a problem.

FWIW, I get the same at even much lower speed. At the start of my daily commute, after checking there are no other cars nearby, I sometimes accelerate from 10-15 km/h (10 m/h) to about 30, at the same time as I have to straighten the car out after the turn, and get the same effect.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
...At this point I decide to pass them to the right and accelerate from about 35 to 45 kinda quickly as I turn to the right and as soon as I get about half a car length in front of the car. My cars jolts to the left and I quickly have to recover to not hit the car to my left.
OP passed the car on the right? Sounds sketchy to begin with....

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Most everyone seems to be focused on the wisdom of the action taken, which wasn't the question. I have never experienced any kind of hop, except on slippery surfaces. On slippery spots, it definitely makes a sudden hop.... it can be quite a surprise. I also have the A10.

As to the wisdom of the action taken, I would rather have a suspicious driver ahead of me than behind me. Better still, nowhere near me.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Those 10R80's will getcha one way or another haha.
Anyways he was probably trying to get you to rear-end them. Happens here a lot. I just point to the dashcam. Smartens their arses up right quick.
Dash cams don't lie.
Sponsored