Almost became a statistic today

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll have to be more conscious in the future and use the horn instead lol
Come to Romania and do a bit of driving here, and I promise you that you'll learn to use the horn in no time. By the end of the first week honking will be second nature, guaranteed. :cwl:
Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
All the advice here (hand position, throttle, tires, temperature) is spot-on, but we all seem to have forgotten that the primary problem and issue here was the moron who failed to maintain proper discipline and ran the OP out of his lane.

Defensive driving is what it's all about. Assume the worst and prepare for what you'll do when they do it. This doesn't mean (for example) slowing down before someone merges onto the highway, but planning your escape route if they don't see you. Or, as seems to happen around here, they see you but don't care.

And yes, I use my horn a lot. Sometimes I'll get a finger in return, but that just means that they heard me. Or that I'm #1. LOL.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Code brown for sure coming home today. Was in the left lane of a two lane left turn onto the highway. Girl to my right. Right at the tightest part of the curve she starts merging into me. I notice, kind of freak out and get practically into the shoulder to avoid her. We're still turning, she stops almost crashing into me, and it starts straightening out into the merge area where it becomes single lane (this section is also downhill). I gave it only a little bit of throttle in second to make some noise because I was pissed at how inattentive she was being. Next thing I know, my ass is coming around in her direction. Traction control was full on (I hadn't touched it). I had my right hand on the shifter ready to grab third once I got some momentum, so I had to correct with just my left hand. Corrected quickly enough to keep it out of the wall. Traction control was definitely way too slow to help me. I saw the lights flashing but only after I had pulled it through. If I didn't know how to correct without thinking, I would have been toast.

So what went wrong here? "Cold tires" and lower temps? It's been in the 50's lately and I'd only been driving for about 5 minutes or so. I thought "Mustang loses control for no reason" was a meme, but now I'm not so sure, lol. Like, I get that I upset the car somehow, and maybe some debris or something was in the shoulder, but it just seemed 100% out of proportion for the inputs being given at the time. I've never had the car do that, and even when I try to slide the ass end out I really have to work for it most of the time with TC on. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Is it just the Pirelli Zero Tractions? Maybe my car picked up 200HP when I wasn't looking. It was completely dry out by the way.
It's the tire. Those Pirellis are useless, especially in colder temps.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Conti's DWS06 is a really good tire year round. You could probably get away with a track day on it too if you don't push your car full on.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Conti's DWS06 is a really good tire year round. You could probably get away with a track day on it too if you don't push your car full on.
Agreed, love Conti's, got nothing but praise for them

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So what went wrong here?
This is just one of the reasons why I drive my car only on early Saturday and Sunday mornings.
People are either too dumb or too preoccupied to know what's going on. I realize mistakes/happen, but how did she not know she about to take out OP's car? Scary and pathetic.

Glad it all worked out good OP!
:like:

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
I gave it only a little bit of throttle in second to make some noise because I was pissed at how inattentive she was being.
the main issue i notice is pressing the gas "to make noise" instead of pressing the horn... i mean... that's the idea of having a horn that you can activate from your steering wheel...
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll have to be more conscious in the future and use the horn instead lol
It's a shame when your $40,000+ car has such a crappy horn you gotta use your gas pedal to make noise and show your righteous indignation.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Worn tear tires break loose so easily compared to newer ones. And then there’s temperature. And road surface (some asphalt is pretty slick when dry). A water puddle in the wrong place, a gravel patch, going through a curve and tapping too much throttle. All this is possible to break traction, even with the nannies ON. It took me by surprise too at first. I commute in a FWD 170hp Honda and I’m used to giving It liberal throttle, even accelerating through curves. This is a diff animal.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
All the advice here (hand position, throttle, tires, temperature) is spot-on, but we all seem to have forgotten that the primary problem and issue here was the moron who failed to maintain proper discipline and ran the OP out of his lane.

Defensive driving is what it's all about. Assume the worst and prepare for what you'll do when they do it. This doesn't mean (for example) slowing down before someone merges onto the highway, but planning your escape route if they don't see you. Or, as seems to happen around here, they see you but don't care.

And yes, I use my horn a lot. Sometimes I'll get a finger in return, but that just means that they heard me. Or that I'm #1. LOL.

Compensating for other's incompetence is the most important ability when driving!

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you were turning it doesn't take much for the ass end of front engine, rear wheel drive car to kick out. Add cold performance tires (mine are pretty useless under 60) and you recipe for disaster. If you watch all the mustang fails it's guys turning out of a parking lot and flooring it on cold tires.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Compensating for other's incompetence is the most important ability when driving!
Boy is that right! Just this morning, the genius in front of me came to a complete stop at the end of an entrance ramp for the interstate with traffic going 70+. Instead of watching and picking a place to merge in, they just park it and wait. Somehow in 40 years of driving I’ve never had to do that.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Glad ur ok, and as others have said. The horn is your best friend. Second would be to brake instead of trying to get around in your situation.

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
Sorry for the hijack here but.... Have you ever stopped by Kindig it design? My most favorite tv show. Bitchin Rides.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Agree with all the above re cold summer tires.

While cold think of your tires as being slightly worse than the rears on this

1603216796022.png
Sponsored