corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, sure, I understand that. But I would expect those 275 Michelins to have enough grip to travel casually at 25 mph.
We don't know what Ras did at that precise moment. If he slammed hard and briskly on the throttle in second gear, then sure, losing grip makes sense.
Or if the tune on his car has a tip-in calibration that's too aggressive for that situation . . . most people seem to want that because it makes the car feel more powerful or some such. Here's where you pay for that.

Norm
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's one good side effect of driving in normal mode; throttle is completely linear, so much easier to control in situations like that. But if not good at throttle control, some folks need to tame it even more with the 'snow/wet' mode.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@RasJeremy
Out of interest, you are on the MPS4S's aren't you ? What was the air temp ?
Yes that's the tires mine is fitted with - the air was 14C and road around 10C.

might be time to swap out the summer tires.
The car will be stored for the winter in a few days - with the horrible winter weather in Denmark and the amount of road salt they spread I would cry if I drove the car in that :)

Actually, we don't know if Ras was travelling casually. If he slammed hard on the throttle in second gear
I was driving casually with it in Normal mode. it is equipped with the A10, and I didn't pay attention to what gear I was in when accelerating. No tune or any mods like that fitted.

My guess is that my casual throttle was a tad too much when I hit the wet spot - we all like to hear the engine when accelerating, so I'm certain that, it is the reason for it to slip a little.

Dont get me wrong - I have the deepest respect for these vehicles and I've only had the car for 1½ month so I'm not even near knowing it yet. I actually am a little angry with myself for letting this happen - I should know better, but I guess lesson learned and I get a second chance! :fingerscrossed:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
a few things:

First, you have water on the ground and little experience with this car. I would run it in rain/snow mode anytime there is water on the ground. Also, the leaves are turning making another method to lose traction. Leaves can be very slippery. Add in the loss of traction from paint lines, road debris and gravel on the road, it is real easy to lose traction. From the video, you got pretty close to the road edge. The painted line or loose stuff on the ground could have contributed to loss of traction.

Second, at/below 10C/ 50F is when those summer tires will begin to get harder and really need some heat in them to grip. They are showing the time is coming to swap tires.

This car also has what I would refer to as excess power. You can either go straight and have full power or turn but not both. Turn and full power can exceed its grip potential and you slide. You will need to learn to modulate the throttle on the turns. It is too easy to get the rear to break lose. Go to a large empty parking lot and do it intentionally and learn what the car's limits are. Besides, it's fun too!!

Not saying this applies but it is a good presentation on grip and you might enjoy it nonetheless.

Sorry to hear you do not daily the car. My '19 GT PP2 is a daily driver and she has a set of winters waiting for the temps to dip a bit further. I am not willing to give the car up for 5 months a year. Also, too poor to afford a third car that will only get used 5 months a year. A set of winters is much cheaper and I just wash the car weekly to keep the salt off. So far, so good.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
That said, drivers need to see road conditions and don't overdrive the cars capabilities. Pzeros under any condition are the weak link

Sponsored

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Good fucking God! I had this experience today and I gotta say... those rear tires really wonna get in front when it is a little wet!

For you MPH guys It was accelerating from around 25MPH to 30MPH when it had a quick slide.
Might not look like much but that heart rate was enouhg workout for me for the day! :crackup:
Dang, at least I'm not the only one haha. Definitely a butt pucker there. My incident was at low speeds like this too, definitely makes it that much more unexpected.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m trying to make out what word was said just before “that”, I didn’t quite catch it ... :cwl:

WD :like:

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Track was bugging me ,,,,,, sin city????

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel

Good fucking God! I had this experience today and I gotta say... those rear tires really wonna get in front when it is a little wet!

For you MPH guys It was accelerating from around 25MPH to 30MPH when it had a quick slide.
Might not look like much but that heart rate was enouhg workout for me for the day! :crackup:
Reminds me of when i test drove a Manual GT last week, except i thought it was fun and also figured a Steeda kit would help

Still, know how that feels

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Almost lost my shite earlier today too, I forgot I had my transmission in drag mode and hit a shift in a sweeping corner at high throttle , which would have been fine with transmission in sport mode, but in drag mode, I would have gone off the road if advancetrac wasnt on. I keep advancetrac on at all times and its saved me multiple times.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Dang, at least I'm not the only one haha. Definitely a butt pucker there. My incident was at low speeds like this too, definitely makes it that much more unexpected.
These engines have plenty of torque and listening to that video there was a significant application of throttle there !

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Code brown for sure coming home today. Was in the left lane of a two lane left turn onto the highway. Girl to my right. Right at the tightest part of the curve she starts merging into me. I notice, kind of freak out and get practically into the shoulder to avoid her. We're still turning, she stops almost crashing into me, and it starts straightening out into the merge area where it becomes single lane (this section is also downhill). I gave it only a little bit of throttle in second to make some noise because I was pissed at how inattentive she was being. Next thing I know, my ass is coming around in her direction. Traction control was full on (I hadn't touched it). I had my right hand on the shifter ready to grab third once I got some momentum, so I had to correct with just my left hand. Corrected quickly enough to keep it out of the wall. Traction control was definitely way too slow to help me. I saw the lights flashing but only after I had pulled it through. If I didn't know how to correct without thinking, I would have been toast.

So what went wrong here? "Cold tires" and lower temps? It's been in the 50's lately and I'd only been driving for about 5 minutes or so. I thought "Mustang loses control for no reason" was a meme, but now I'm not so sure, lol. Like, I get that I upset the car somehow, and maybe some debris or something was in the shoulder, but it just seemed 100% out of proportion for the inputs being given at the time. I've never had the car do that, and even when I try to slide the ass end out I really have to work for it most of the time with TC on. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Is it just the Pirelli Zero Tractions? Maybe my car picked up 200HP when I wasn't looking. It was completely dry out by the way.
I was in your shoes some time ago.

Two lane merge curve freeway enteance. Also had to just slightly accelerate and lost rear end.

tldr - I went to car control clinic afterwards and just could not reproduce this situation.

My conclusion was - in my case the situation happened because rears were near the end of life with fronts being just fine. Also I tended to overinflate tires to the point it reflected on wear pattern and reduced contact patch.
Sponsored