Sponsored

Ah, dealers

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Had an oil change and state inspection today.

Go to pick up the car, look at the receipt: one 5 quart bottle oil and three 1 quart bottles of oil. Tell the SA it's two quarts light. "No, the Coyote takes 8 quarts. Let's check the dipstick." Which shows a drop of oil at the tip, and nowhere else. :facepalm:
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Amazing the gen 3 has been out for almost 3 years and they still do this.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
OP I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me on the first oil change last November. I did the same thing and checked the invoice before I accepted the car. It was a Saturday so they corrected it right there which was good and then I called back on the Monday and asked to speak to the Service Manager. I was polite but made clear in no uncertain terms that this had better not happen again. I haven't been back yet but they have one more chance or we're done. I have to send the car in soon for some other stuff so I'm curious to see how that goes after that experience.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Had an oil change and state inspection today.

Go to pick up the car, look at the receipt: one 5 quart bottle oil and three 1 quart bottles of oil. Tell the SA it's two quarts light. "No, the Coyote takes 8 quarts. Let's check the dipstick." Which shows a drop of oil at the tip, and nowhere else. :facepalm:
is it normal for them to use bottled oil? i would think a dealership would have large drums of it in the back, that pumps it into those easy access hoses that hang from the ceiling for each bay..

regardless, they should know how much to fill, and they never bothered to check the fluid level after they serviced it.. i wonder if they regularly send their cars back to customers without checking their work.

i mean.. wtf?

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is it normal for them to use bottled oil? i would think a dealership would have large drums of it in the back, that pumps it into those easy access hoses that hang from the ceiling for each bay..
If I were paying for it, they would have used the drums. As Ford was paying for it via FordPass Rewards, they broke it out separately and used bottles.

i mean.. wtf?
Really.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Sadly this happens more than you think. Speak to the stores Service Manager. Make sure he updates or at least checks the system log to earmark it’s 8qt for 18+ mustangs. They run off what the system states, many get a lot of older units which have the 5.0 engine which take only 6qt. And the havent (whatever) updated their system. The manager should be aware of the consequences of lack of oil per Ford Motor Company guidebook. You’ll be saving them from a possible warranty claim and labor on the dealership dime, not fords.

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sadly this happens more than you think. Speak to the stores Service Manager. Make sure he updates or at least checks the system log to earmark it’s 10qt for 18+ mustangs. They run off what the system states, many get a lot of older units which have the 5.0 engine which take only 8qt.
FIFY ;)

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
You can run 8 qts in the 2018 pan on the street, if you want to. I’d advise against hard /track driving unless you’re gonna go for the extra 2 more held in the pan. use. You’re right 8qts for the 15-17 and 6qts for the 11-14 GTs. See this is why tech need to rely to computers :)

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Stopped at a dealership just to look around tonight. A porter came whipping around the corner of the building in a GT350 and parked it in the new car delivery area. Doubt it was properly warmed up, and I'm sure the new owner wouldn't appreciate the way it was driven.

Sammy Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3 Shadow Black
I still remember when I first got my car,

Literally take it in first service, just rotation n oil. Kid that drives it in is super happy he gets to drive the car, he didn't know I was the owner but I was sitting outside by the service area just looking at the cars and seeing what their service team works/looks like.

Car is done, kid gets in the car, takes the LONG way around leaving it in 1st and 2nd gear the whole way just to hear the exhaust, does a quick 30mph pull in the parking lot and then goes to park the car. he starts heading my way and goes "Man I love that car" and I reply "Yeah, I do too." I went in the service dept and spoke to the manager about the situation.

Ever since that happened, they have treated my car very well and I have not seen any other issues, always be sure to speak up.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I took my Mustang to a nearby independent garage for an oil change. Not only did they put just 5 quarts in but they couldn't find the dipstick. I won't be going back there again.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I took my Mustang to a nearby independent garage for an oil change. Not only did they put just 5 quarts in but they couldn't find the dipstick. I won't be going back there again.
Holy crap i thought only 8 was bad!

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
That's why I bought ramps and a quick-change oil drain plug when I bought my car. I started out life changing my own oil in the 80s, decided I made too much money to be bothered with it once I got a Big Boy job, and now many years on I'm back to changing my own oil because of the fear of this thread.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I prefer they use individual bottles. At least that way, you know how much really was put in. When they use the drum, you never know as they are going to write what they think is the right amount. I haven't taken the Mustang in for an oil change yet.... I can already see them asking why my oil cap says 5w50. I make it a point of checking my oil level while at the dealership after an oil change with my other cars.

If I were paying for it, they would have used the drums. As Ford was paying for it via FordPass Rewards, they broke it out separately and used bottles.

Really.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
My 2 cents.. everyone here loves their ride and listening to the obvious indignation in the posts above : we really don’t like/trust dealer service departments.. and we have good reason with some of the horror stories told here!

Solution : change your own oil or at least find a neighbor/friend who will help you do it.
Invest in jacking rails, a 3 ton low profile jack and a socket set..buy your filters in bulk and Motorcraft oil when it’s on sale.

Now let’s hear the excuses of why I can’t or won’t change my own oil.

If we love our cars so much....a little TLC in the driveway or garage every 5K is just what the doctor ordered.
Sponsored