A Question for the Convertible Peeps

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Am trying to work out where on earth I can put a rear dash-cam on a Vert? any ideas
Only place I can think of is the back seat, on the side at the top, yes will have a cable running up the side of the seat, but main problem is how to secure the dash-cam to the seat? it's the Thinkware F750
Don't want to do any drilling
HELP !!!
Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I thought you'd have to put it on a light bar but I could be wrong. That's probably where I'd mount mine if I get one. I have the Thinkware F750 just for the front for now. I honestly can't see anywhere else it'd work. Curious to see if anyone has any other ideas as well.

OP
OP
goldengooner

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Don't like the lightbar, and if you did mount it there, you would be filming the passengers heads, if you have any passengers

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Don't like the lightbar, and if you did mount it there, you would be filming the passengers heads, if you have any passengers
Unless someone is sitting in the middle of the back, I don't see how that'd be the case. It'd probably be even worse on the back or on the side of the seat.

OP
OP
goldengooner

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Does your front one give you a wide angle lens?
You will film the whole back of the car not just the bit in-between the seats, if its on the side of the rear seat (not the front seat) there are no obstacles in the way of the camera, anyway we shall see as will be fitted in the next month

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Does your front one give you a wide angle lens?
You will film the whole back of the car not just the bit in-between the seats, if its on the side of the rear seat (not the front seat) there are no obstacles in the way of the camera, anyway we shall see as will be fitted in the next month
Gotcha. Yeah definitely going to capture people in the back seat. I guess that doesn't really bother me though as long as I can see anything that goes on behind me. Curious to see what you come up with :cheers:

OP
OP
goldengooner

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. Yeah definitely going to capture people in the back seat. I guess that doesn't really bother me though as long as I can see anything that goes on behind me. Curious to see what you come up with :cheers:
yea so am i :D
Being fitted at the car dealer when they do the conversion, and they are known as the best around for doing this stuff, so should be interesting

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
yea so am i :D
Being fitted at the car dealer when they do the conversion, and they are known as the best around for doing this stuff, so should be interesting

And there it ends. Any updates?

This is the most recent "Dash cam" thread I could find. I hope it's OK to ask a (perhaps) silly question: I had a good front-and-rear 2-channel camera in my recently-traded coupe. I have another ready to install in my recently-acquired convertible. Question is, has anyone actually done the Separate Rear Camera thing with a Mustang S550 convertible? I mean, imagine as I might, no useful location or procedure occurs to me. The only economical thing I see as a possibility is to make the second channel a Look-at-the-driver-at-work camera, a la NASCAR.

Any experiences or suggestions?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I saw one on an aftermarket trunk mounted spoiler, at a local car meet a year ago. It seemed to go with the car OK, which was a previous model Mustang. I never understood the need for one, so I didn't pursue it any further than polite conversation with the owner.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I think I saw someone fabricate a bracket that mounted behind the center of the back seat and mounted their rear facing camera on it. They had sample shots from it and, because of the clearance needed for the top to go down, the images weren't that good. You couldn't really see very much of the following car. You did see a lot of the trunk deck. I'm pretty sure I saw it on this forum somewhere.
Personally, I've decided against either a front or rear facing camera. I figure it would end up giving more evidence against me than for me...

Sponsored

jimbabwe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Convertible
I was able to mount a rear-view camera on the back of my convertible after doing much figuring out, as I couldn't find much online at the time.

Here's what I did.

I ended up mounting the camera onto the upper corner of my license plate with heavy-duty double-sided tape, routing the wire through the slit in one of the license plate lights, then up through a grommet in the bottom of the trunk where there is another wire coming through, I forget what for at this point. This took some time fishing for the wire and pushing through the grommet, but it is doable.

After that, it was farily easy to route the rest of the wire from the bottom trunk, through the passenger side seat-back, and beneath the passenger footwell trim piece, and by the rubber door trim by the A-pillar. Another PITA part came going through the top trim piece by where the convertible top sits, as I remember I had to carefully yank some of the trim pieces up to route the wire towards the area between the windshield and trim piece. Then, it went into the camera unit, mounted just behind my rear-view mirror.

Make sure to wear gloves, as my hands got a little torn up in the process. This method also takes a LOT of cord, so make sure you get a camera with a long rear camera cord, or get an extension cord for safe measure. Luckily I had JUST enough wire on my setup to route my wire this way without any extensions.

This has been working well for me so far. The camera picture is a little low, but not terrible and better than nothing, as I've unfortunately experienced recently.

Here's some pics of the setup, and how I routed the wire through the bumper and up the trunk grommet.

3POByYG.png

f21TfDL.jpg

jqP8yr9.jpg

9U8I37s.jpg

sDsEVVm.jpg

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thats slick! I think I'll do something like that this summer. What camera are you using? I'm still toying on where to mount the front facing camera!

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Damm inpressive write-up!

Oh wait, let me back up and say that again!

CVCashmere

jimbabwe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP Convertible
Thanks guys, hope it helps people out if considering a dual dash cam install.

I got the Crosstour CR600. Not the most expensive option, but it works. I'm sure there are others with a weather-proof rear camera that would work as well.

I mounted the main unit on the driver side, just behind the rearveiw mirror. I can't tell it's there when driving, as the rearview mirror blocks most of the camera unit. It's also hard to notice from the front IMO, unless you're really looking for it. 100% worth it to have a dash cam these days in case something were to happen...

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thanks guys, hope it helps people out if considering a dual dash cam install.

I got the Crosstour CR600. Not the most expensive option, but it works. I'm sure there are others with a weather-proof rear camera that would work as well.

I mounted the main unit on the driver side, just behind the rearveiw mirror. I can't tell it's there when driving, as the rearview mirror blocks most of the camera unit. It's also hard to notice from the front IMO, unless you're really looking for it. 100% worth it to have a dash cam these days in case something were to happen...

Where do you have the front camera plugged in for power? It looks like a long run to snake the cord all the way down to the 12v cigarette power down below the center console.
Sponsored