Sponsored

Question for convertible owners

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Wind protection is pretty good with the windows up. Before my kids bought me the Love the Drive screen, I used a piece of cardboard cut to fit the tunnel and about 2/3 of the way up the back seat. I only did this because when it dipped below 5C or so, there was a cool draft around my hips. With the LoD I have driven down to 3C in perfect comfort. That said, the Ford piece available in Europe is really slick and installs similarly to the Audi one, with spring loaded pins. LoD is straps and I made new brackets at the rear so that I could use the tonneau covers, because as it was the OEM bracket fell on the curve of the trim panel. In some respects, the LoD is not really that great of engineering. The front brackets do not allow for the use of the easy out feature if you are taller, like me, as the seat belt holder on the seat ran into the front bracket. I considered having the Ford one sent over but it would have been a fortune, but thatā€™s what I would recommend for you.

On a side note, when I had my ā€˜75 MG Midget and was in the local club, MG had a pre-production MGF here in the Toronto area for testing. A club member ran into one of the engineers (quite by accident at a local menā€™s store) and convinced him to arrange them to bring the car to a club meeting for pictures, plus we all got a turn sitting in the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
UK vert owner here. No fold down seats, wind awful above 50. Way worse than my Z4.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
A nice wind screen makes a
UK vert owner here. No fold down seats, wind awful above 50. Way worse than my Z4.
A nice wind screen (not confused with British version Windscreen means windshield US wise) will make a big difference. Even more if you roll up the windows.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have the Audi one. I bought It off eBay for a great deal. Before putting it in the wind was quite strong especially on the highway. My wife would have to wear the baseball cap and tie her hair back and even then it would still blow pretty good. She laughed at me when I was installing it and measuring and drilling the interior.

After driving with it in place, it is absolutely amazing! Honestly a world of difference. Now, no hat and doesnā€™t have to tie her hair back. Funny thing is, now on humid days, I actually have to lower it get enough wind to sort of cool things down a little - at least to get some airflow.

Love it! It does fold up to fit in the trunk. But really, it stays on the whole time.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Funny.

So yesterday wife and I were out for a drive to Niagara on the Lake. Coming home weā€™re stuck on the QEW for an accident for almost 45 minutes. In that time, I lowered the wind screen to get a little air from the breeze while we sat and waited. Finally through and off we go. Screen down on the highway. It was hilarious as my wifeā€™s hair was blowing everywhere! Seriously crazy blowing. I canā€™t reach mine to pull it from the Driverā€™s seat so it stayed down for a little bit.

Got onto our destination (dinner reservations) and had the biggest laugh about her hair. She was in awe the difference the screen actually makes. This was a real world back to back test same day same weather lol up and then down.

Beat investment for a convertible for sure! I was skeptic initially but not any more!

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 GT is okay as to wind but not great, not sure about others experience. I got a "fancy" wind break from a Dallas company. It really helps, best even is putting the windows up a bit too. It's like Lexan and the light is an option as is the pony. it bolts to the headrests and yes you can move the seats around and not hurt it.

IMG_6164.jpg
That is a pretty cool windscreen. I love it. Of course itā€™s not a Mustang but my BMW came with a windscreen. Iā€™m shocked honestly that Ford sells the convertible without one at least as an option.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
That is a pretty cool windscreen. I love it. Of course itā€™s not a Mustang but my BMW came with a windscreen. Iā€™m shocked honestly that Ford sells the convertible without one at least as an option.
Thanks! About not coming with one, well American car manufacturers expect to make the $$'s off after market parts, etc. European car companies were used to including all the extra's even tools, plus there is the premium price over a Mustang.

The folks who make that windscreen are based in Dallas and they are actually Ford Authorized to do the Pony and other Ford logo's. USA.. USA..USA.. ;-)

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I canā€™t reach mine to pull it from the Driverā€™s seat so it stayed down for a little bit.
Well, thatā€™s one advantage of the LoD screen. There is a vertical rod in the frame about a third of the way in on each side and itā€™s enough for me to grab to put it up or down on the move.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Well, thatā€™s one advantage of the LoD screen. There is a vertical rod in the frame about a third of the way in on each side and itā€™s enough for me to grab to put it up or down on the move.
I am able to easily raise and lower my Audi deflector with my right hand while on the move.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yea. Could be just my technique. Didnā€™t try too hard.

KnightStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT convertible
Wind protection is pretty good. You can have a conversation with your passenger at highway speed while topless.

I've also rolled up the side windows with heater on to keep comfortably warm with the top down even in chilly weather.
Sameā€¦I also roll up the windows in the summer, when AC on.
(highway speeds) I guess it helps, and less chance of stuff getting blown out of the car.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
How much wind noise is too much is surely a matter of personal preference, but S550 convertibles US spec are entirely reasonable with the top down at 80 to 85 mph all day long. Then again my other car is a 1966 convertible. That one doesn't bother me either. That's with the windows down.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
How much wind noise is too much is surely a matter of personal preference, but S550 convertibles US spec are entirely reasonable with the top down at 80 to 85 mph all day long. Then again my other car is a 1966 convertible. That one doesn't bother me either.
Agreed. We drove my cousin's 67 and it was much louder and more turbulent. The S550 is practically tame in comparison, but with the Love to Drive deflector it also works for my wife who is not a fan of having her hair blow around in her face. I was cool with driving it at freeway speeds with the top down, she was with her hair tied back. But now we can drive and converse at the same time :)
Sponsored