A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
I’ve been looking to switch to a lease the past year, and out of the 3, the dodge is the only one that leases well. I personally think it’s a downgrade on looks, but everything else on it is sweet.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Welp it sounds like I'm absolutely screwed. Just passed 60,000 miles and my AC went out a couple days ago. Same symptoms, it started to just blow hot-air only for a bit. Then when I tried to turn the A/C back on I got this awful screeching noise.

I scheduled an appointment at the dealership for Wednesday, but judging by all these threads and comments on the same issue I'm anticipating it'll be the evaporator.

Because I'm out of warranty and don't have an extended, any idea of the type of $$$ damage I'm looking at? $1000, $2000?

Not money I really want to spend right now considering I'm trying to close on a house in a few weeks. sigh.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
ouch. good luck.

KYLExKILLJOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 years, 2003 Mach 1 D1sc, 2002 4.2L
Welp it sounds like I'm absolutely screwed. Just passed 60,000 miles and my AC went out a couple days ago. Same symptoms, it started to just blow hot-air only for a bit. Then when I tried to turn the A/C back on I got this awful screeching noise.

I scheduled an appointment at the dealership for Wednesday, but judging by all these threads and comments on the same issue I'm anticipating it'll be the evaporator.

Because I'm out of warranty and don't have an extended, any idea of the type of $$$ damage I'm looking at? $1000, $2000?

Not money I really want to spend right now considering I'm trying to close on a house in a few weeks. sigh.

Call the Ford Customer care number and make a complaint, make sure you get a case number and someone to actually look into it. Took me 3 calls and 2 case numbers before someone who identified as a "regional customer care manger" called me back.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
what kind of positive results

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

I had the same symptoms as you. I had the compressor, evaporator, and accumulator replaced. Total bill was $2308 with 10% off.

KYLExKILLJOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 years, 2003 Mach 1 D1sc, 2002 4.2L
I'm not sure if any of you have called and spoke to customer car but -- my dealership basically pushed me into it. You might want to give them a call, more calls they get the better for us!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Update: So I think I got lucky, at least for now.

I dropped off the car this morning and my service rep got back to me this afternoon telling me it's the compressor. Quoted me at just over $1000, which, given the horror stories I've been reading about the evaporator I'm "happy" about.

I'm still going to be cautious about celebrating too quickly as, perhaps, the evaporator will still fail in the future. Knock on wood.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
Lucky you

Sponsored

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A grand for a compressor? Holy shit!
Glad I do my own maintenance. I realize these folks make a living and there is overhead and all but 1 grand. Jeeze.

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Add me to the list. Service department just called and confirmed that my evaporator was leaking.

S550IngotGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 6 Speed 3.55s Red Leather
Reading this thread about this evaporator issue is devastating news for me. I have halted all plans to do bolt-ons and am now planning to sell or trade my 2016 GT in. I've owned 10 mustangs over the years and still own a '69 GT350, but I am not holding on to this car with this big evaporator repair issue possibly looming in the future.

It is really sad that this issue is undermining what an awesome car the S550 Mustang is. I've owned Acuras for daily drivers for the past 20 years and they have all been trouble-free for the most part. I thought I would give Ford a shot since this S550 Mustang is something special, at least I thought it was. When my Acura MDX power steering had an issue with service repairs, Acura mailed me a letter stating they extended my warranty on the power steering system. When will Ford issue a similar letter on this evaporator failure?

It is funny how we watch all the videos of the Mustang engineers raving about the Coyote engine and S550 suspension/brakes, etc. Ironically, the A/C system fails on many of these cars within 15,000 miles. I'd love to see the Ford engineers step up and make a video explaining what is failing on this evaporator, what extended warranty on the A/C system will be offered by Ford, and which replacement evaporator part numbers will permanently fix this issue.

I am not willing to risk a bunch of rattles and hidden issues that may occur due to removing the dash on my Premium GT to fix this issue. Some of the horror stories about dealers taking 30 days to fix the problem, misdiagnosing the problem for a compressor, fighting to get a loaner car is just not for me. I could have bought an Audi, but I bought this 2016 GT because I thought it was a very well executed and engineered vehicle that had a very high build quality. I guess I was wrong and I am very sorry that I am.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
dunno dude. when i traded my 2015 GT with a november 14 build date, it had 35k miles and the AC was still blowing strong.

probably because im in the northeast, just like you, and failures dont occur as rapidly or often as in the hotter states.

like you, i didn't want to deal w/ the inevitable. but who knows if it actually would've failed or not.

Frenchy480

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp shadow black
My evaporator just went out this past week. 2016 mustang gt pp with 13500 miles. Only took the dealership the past weekend to fix it. Felt uneasy about the repair being the dash needed to come out. The repair actually solved a rattling issue, but caused other issues such as illuminated cup holders no longer working and some broken panels and most screws underneath the panels missing. I haven't had a ford since the early 2000's and took a chance with this mustang, which I absolutely love, but me and the wife decided that between the evaporator issue and the horrendous service with the ford service department (not the first issue with shotty work and a couple blatant lies to nickel and dime), we are going to try to sell it before the arizona summer. I love this car and hope in the future there aren t any other issues like this cause it's a great car. Just frustrated with the whole experience, especially the dealership.

On a side note, did anyone who had the repair done receive the vehicle back with the interior completely covered in dirt? Makes me wonder what else they did with the car.
Sponsored

Last edited: