Sponsored

700+ hp 5.2L flatplane voodoo

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
God I'm glad to see a discussion based on the understanding that this car is meant to be naturally aspirated!

The whole forced induction talk just boggles my mind. Its like putting turbo's a 911 GT3. Makes me shudder.

Anyway best of luck to you. 135HP per liter is no small feat!

Absolutely loving this thread, and I hope you make your goals Voodooo. Warms my heart to see someone who's hungry for power, but won't be taking the easy route and going F/I, especially on this fantastic NA motor. :cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'm just talking about it right now, I have so much going on with my business and other things right now it'll be awhile. But I am seriously really thinking of doing this in the near future. But for now it makes good conversation. I agree, forced induction has never been a interest to me. I always loved NA motors.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I certainly think this is achievable. I think the things you've already mentioned would net this goal. Throttle body to the head and then maximize the existing head. Someone with far more knowledge than I could engineer a head/intake/camshaft package that would likely get there with just a slight bump over stock compression. Based on what friends have experienced with e85 vs. c16 etc. I'd try to reach my goal on corn, I feel like the fantastic gains the car realizes stock on e85 would continue to be harvested with additional compression. I'd likely consult some rod builders with your goals and see what they recommend and piston manufacturers like diamond could likely get you squared away. My biggest fear lies in the valvetrain and keeping stock reliability.

Last edited:

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Good luck voodoo. 600 is my goal. If a Boss can do it then the voodoo should get there with no problems. Just need the aftermarket to step up their game.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Good luck voodoo. 600 is my goal. If a Boss can do it then the voodoo should get there with no problems. Just need the aftermarket to step up their game.
Your goal of 600 is easy. Long tubes, tune and fuel will get you there! Go for it!

Sponsored

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Your goal of 600 is easy. Long tubes, tune and fuel will get you there! Go for it!
600 wheel.
I'm sure it can be done but we will need what you mentioned plus cams, intake manifold and throttle body.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Oh I thought you meant 600 crank. 600 rear wheel is about 700 crank.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Maybe I'm totally off-Base, but I have never seen a naturally aspirated engine produce over 135hp/liter without tuned length exhaust and ITBs (excluding carbs). I'm willing to concede that the GT350 heads COULD support that kind of power, but at the very least I would think you would need the peripherals fabricated from scratch. Maybe the engineer in me is just over-complicating this :shrug:

Are there any experienced builders around here that can speak for or against this?

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I'm totally off-Base, but I have never seen a naturally aspirated engine produce over 135hp/liter without tuned length exhaust and ITBs (excluding carbs). I'm willing to concede that the GT350 heads COULD support that kind of power, but at the very least I would think you would need the peripherals fabricated from scratch. Maybe the engineer in me is just over-complicating this :shrug:

Are there any experienced builders around here that can speak for or against this?
Why are you having a hard time with this? Their have already been boss 5.0's making 593 rwhp. That's damn near 700 crank hp. You do understand that I'm talking 700 crank hp correct? As far as equal length headers, forget it. No room.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base

Oh it's almost not even a thing anymore in the Honda world lol.

Here: https://kmodperformance.myshopify.c...rate-engine-300-340whp-all-motor-700whp-turbo

Crate engines with warranties on pump gas, with single throttle body can make 150hp/L+.

Problem is like I've said previously, these are the engines everybody compares too. They are the pinnacle of NA.

They have other NA crate engines that will make around 175hp/L on race gas (13.7:1 CR). They sell them with an IM setup and singular TB. They might even see more with an all out ITB and open header setup.

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Oh it's almost not even a thing anymore in the Honda world lol.

Here: https://kmodperformance.myshopify.c...rate-engine-300-340whp-all-motor-700whp-turbo

Crate engines with warranties on pump gas, with single throttle body can make 150hp/L+.

Problem is like I've said previously, these are the engines everybody compares too. They are the pinnacle of NA.

They have other NA crate engines that will make around 175hp/L on race gas (13.7:1 CR). They sell them with an IM setup and singular TB. They might even see more with an all out ITB and open header setup.
Check out the packaging on the top end of those engines. Now take a look at the packaging on the top end of a voodoo. Notice anything?

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Check out the packaging on the top end of those engines. Now take a look at the packaging on the top end of a voodoo. Notice anything?
How can you argue the facts? Boss 5.0s have already made at or near 700 N/A crank hp. Why is this so hard for you to see?
The voodoo already has advantages over the 5.0. 15 more cubic inches, higher flowing heads in stock form, stronger block, lighter crank, RPM.

Nobody is saying this will happen with stock cams, stock compression, stock port work, etc. but 70-85 more hp doesn't need a set of aftermarket heads or block. I honesty think you are underestimating the potential of the 5.0/5.2

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Their have already been boss 5.0's making 593 rwhp. That's damn near 700 crank hp. You do understand that I'm talking 700 crank hp correct? As far as equal length headers, forget it. No room.
Link?

458 Speciale makes 132.7hp/L with 2 throttle bodies.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
Are there any experienced builders around here that can speak for or against this?[/QUOTE said:
I'm your huckleberry..

Go back to post #50. I built that engine ten years ago. It's now two generations old. 130 hp per liter with a prehistoric single 800 cfm four barrel on a intake manifold with four different runner lengths. If you don't know anything about 5.4's here a primer.
It's very undersquare 3.572 X 4.165 long stroke. The small bore limit's valve area and the long stroke puts piston speed over 6000 fpm. Despite these handicaps it is reliable and hauls ass. Again Ten years ago.

It runs 9.20's@ 146 in this 3000 pound stick shift Mustang.

Now let's Voodoo.. The much bigger 3.700 bore and shorter stroke make room for bigger valves. Ford took advantage of this with New head Castings with altered / spread intake valve positions to carry 1.8mm bigger valves (than would fit in early versions). This means potential for more airflow.
In short a 5.2 Voodoo is totally capable of making 700 reliable horsepower. with modified stock cyl heads.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm your huckleberry..

Go back to post #50. I built that engine ten years ago. It's now two generations old. 130 hp per liter with a prehistoric single 800 cfm four barrel on a intake manifold with four different runner lengths. If you don't know anything about 5.4's here a primer.
It's very undersquare 3.572 X 4.165 long stroke. The small bore limit's valve area and the long stroke puts piston speed over 6000 fpm. Despite these handicaps it is reliable and hauls ass. Again Ten years ago.

It runs 9.20's@ 146 in this 3000 pound stick shift Mustang.

Now let's Voodoo.. The much bigger 3.700 bore and shorter stroke make room for bigger valves. Ford took advantage of this with New head Castings with altered / spread intake valve positions to carry 1.8mm bigger valves (than would fit in early versions). This means potential for more airflow.
In short a 5.2 Voodoo is totally capable of making 700 reliable horsepower. with modified stock cyl heads.
So perhaps we should be discussing how to build an 800hp NA voodoo:headbonk:
Sponsored