Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Money is the only limiting factor. Who are you using for the build? I'm betting the level of machine work required will put the cost near $50,000. You would be the first to get some serious race engine internals, valves, springs, bearings, rockers and and every mechanical piece would be new. Ed Pink Motors works on some very high RPM 4 bangers and V8's. 9,000 rpms is serious but not far from were your starting. The harmonic balancing and diagnostic would be insane. A 9-10K rpm road race motor might be good for 250-500 racing miles. Not sure what that equates to for a toy. I want to drive it for you a few times to make sure its safe.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Money is the only limiting factor. Who are you using for the build? I'm betting the level of machine work required will put the cost near $50,000. You would be the first to get some serious race engine internals, valves, springs, bearings, rockers and and every mechanical piece would be new. Ed Pink Motors works on some very high RPM 4 bangers and V8's. 9,000 rpms is serious but not far from were your starting. The harmonic balancing and diagnostic would be insane. A 9-10K rpm road race motor might be good for 250-500 racing miles. Not sure what that equates to for a toy. I want to drive it for you a few times to make sure its safe.
Lol. I bet you would like to drive it lol. I have a lot of projects going on right now. But it is something I would like to do in the very near future. Plus it would be a great tax write off for my business lol.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Thanks for the link.

As I thought CR up to 13:1, 114oct massive timing and cams.

There was an above post that stated a stock CR coyote will reach 600whp. That will never happen.

This engine has maximum headwork, timing and octane. Makes sense.

Like I said the k24 built without headwork, on 93oct and 13:1 CR will see 300whp. That's the benchmark for basically all NA builds - although it's an inline 4. I get its not apples to apples.

Nice article.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
With the initial tunes they used when they were calibrating the engine, the output was in the 585 horsepower range, and then they switched to MS109 and later 114 octane fuel.
As I thought CR up to 13:1, 114oct massive timing and cams.
My point exactly about the 100 octane this guy plans on using for an engine with a whole point more of compression.

Have fun picking up the pieces of your shattered pistons after the first pull you make to 9000rpm with 100 octane and 14:1 compression.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
My point exactly about the 100 octane this guy plans on using for an engine with a whole point more of compression.

Have fun picking up the pieces of your shattered pistons after the first pull you make to 9000rpm with 100 octane and 14:1 compression.
I know you're saying this to make a point, and to a degree I agree.

1) they never said the original tune fuel used
2) with a name like EFI, I'm positive you understand the relationship of timing, detonation, octane, compression

Anyway like I said previously I don't see this engine spinning 9000 without a proper destroked crank. Might be able to compensate Playing with rod lengths and ratios but I'm not sure if the coyote has the deck height, or clearances.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I know you're saying this to make a point, and to a degree I agree.

1) they never said the original tune fuel used
2) with a name like EFI, I'm positive you understand the relationship of timing, detonation, octane, compression
I believe in one of his followup posts he mentions Sunogo 260GT 100 octane...which is a fine fuel but not necessarily something to support his 14:1 comp 700hp motor spinning to 9000rpm.

Let's just say I've built and tuned a "few* engines, and my latest project is an LS based road race engine with 7500rpm and 11.6:1 comp which uses a 98 octane unleaded gas. Perfectly fine for that setup, not so much on what he's trying to build.

I'm skeptical like I said, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

What you fail to understand is I never said I was going to use 100 octane. I said that is what I currently use now. This isn't my first rodeo.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I believe in one of his followup posts he mentions Sunogo 260GT 100 octane...which is a fine fuel but not necessarily something to support his 14:1 comp 700hp motor spinning to 9000rpm.

Let's just say I've built and tuned a "few* engines, and my latest project is an LS based road race engine with 7500rpm and 11.6:1 comp which uses a 98 octane unleaded gas. Perfectly fine for that setup, not so much on what he's trying to build.

I'm skeptical like I said, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.
Where did I ever say I was going to use 100 octane or have 14.0:1 compression etc? I didn't. I said I currently use 100 octane.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Best and fastest way to get to this point and further would be to hand it off to Jon Kasse racing engines and start writing checks, 700 plus is a phone call and a few zero's away.
Lol. Agreed.

I don't see why so many people think this is impossible to do. Just takes money

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
This would be interesting. I think with some lighter internals you could probably get another 1000 RPM out of the engine. That would net some power. Some wilder cams.

I dont know how much ford left on the table for safety but you have to assume some.

Water injection for more timing? Slightly higher comp?

ITBs?

I think it could be done.

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
FWIW, I ran a Super Comp car with SBC, steel Bowtie heads, offset ground crank, aluminum rods (was concerned crank wouldn't take the weight of steel rods), single 4bbl carb at 15:1 on VP C-12. Heads were not O-ringed but block was partially filled. Ran high 7's and was extremely consistent. Ran it for 3 years, had it freshened, and ran 3 more before retiring. This was very low tech compared to what you're starting with and IIRC made over 800hp, so your goal of 700 should be very doable, IMO.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Where did I ever say I was going to use 100 octane or have 14.0:1 compression etc? I didn't. I said I currently use 100 octane.
No joke. There are so many nay-sayers here arguing with straw men on assumptions :headbonk:

We have this one guy who is like "10kRPM motors are only good for like 250-500 race miles". So what? I would be willing to bet a stock GT350 wouldn't last 250-500 race miles. That's practically nonstop full throttle at the upper end of the curve. MMR has a lot of data on 9kRPM+ Coyotes. I would consult with them.

All of these arguments over CR are nonsense as well. Where the hell are all these strawmen coming from?

Now, on to brass tax, are you willing to have custom heads developed? Just to be clear, by custom, I mean entirely new castings, not modified heads. If so, it would make a huge difference in the potential.
Sponsored