deven2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deven
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT w/ PP
FROM WHAT I'VE OBSERVED THROUGH ALL THESE THREADS ON MT'S:
It is ALL exclusive to those that own Performance Package Mustangs, GT and/or Ecoboost.
It has to have everything to do with the MT-82 + 3.73 Torsen + computer inside the car. That is the general reasoning I was given from a Ford engineer. The Performance manual transmissions make noises, and that is to be expected. Bad things would be grinding... so I would get that transmission fluid changed, and if that doesn't work get it checked out by the dealership.
Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I've read countless threads on fluid changes. Half of them say to change to some mixture... which is apparently what they come with from the factory now. :confused: The other half of them say to switch to an aftermarket fluid... but come back a couple weeks later and say "eh, not so much." :shrug:

One thing I've noticed is running a little higher rpm before shifting helps a little. I was initially shifting about 2500rpm until the car warmed up a little, and then higher after the oil temp started to come up... but I noticed if you rev a little over 3k, even when cold, it's not as bad. Not great, but a little better.

It's not only 3rd, either - sometimes when shifting into 2nd the shifter feels like it's made of rubber. But I'll take rubber over feeding popsicle sticks into gears, which is what 3rd feels like.

OP
OP

Romie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Romie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I might bring it to the dealer this weekend. Hopefully they'll do something about it.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I might bring it to the dealer this weekend. Hopefully they'll do something about it.
I have had this problem since day 1. It hasn't improved with a fluid change or with the higher temps. I took it to my dealer several times and they had nothing to offer. I also had an engineer from Ford drive the car. He acknowledged the grinding, but stated that it was a "characteristic" of the transmission.
Hey guys,

Let me know if you decide to visit your dealer for the issue. I'll provide any added assistance available on my end. :thumbsup:

Jeff

steviebee72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, FJG
hey 300 miles on the OD. GT PP . yea feel the "crunch" or "grind" going into third about 10% of the time. Still trying to figure out is it cold (well 60f cold) related or not. or is it just needing to breakin. or is it shifting too fast when its cold.

yea and i hear the "thud" too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, yea we know that, it means I'm in between surfing for mods. 2015 DIB 50 year GT PP

Sponsored

Chargedguard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yep. I'd take mine in but I'm not going to waste my time since it has a supercharger.

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I removed the clutch pedal spring Friday night and now I find that I don't get the 3rd gear grind nearly as much. If I had to guess, it probably happens about a quarter as often, and it's not nearly as harsh.

Obviously removing a spring from the clutch pedal doesn't directly affect the transmission, but it must have slightly changed my driving habits or something. Maybe my left foot is just more deliberate now. :shrug:

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Just had my trans swapped under warranty for this.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just had my trans swapped under warranty for this.
Hey pinero61,

How's the new transmission working? Let me know if it's improved. :thumbsup:

Jeff

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Hey pinero61,

How's the new transmission working? Let me know if it's improved. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Wouldn't know, I dropped it off before heading to Congo for a month, lol. I'll be banging gears again in a two weeks.

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Wouldn't know, I dropped it off before heading to Congo for a month, lol. I'll be banging gears again in a two weeks.
Oh ok. Nice. Hope you're having a good trip! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns when you get back. :cheers:

Jeff

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
Where we at with this guy's?

My car is at more than 1400 miles now and I've noticed that it shifts a little smoother. I still do get a bit of a bite or a small bump grind if the weather is cold (below 40). I will likely swap fluids at 3k when I do my first oil change. What I've notice is this trans fluid blows in the cold. When it's warmed up its not bad but cold shifts suck.

I've also noticed when my car is completely cold, if I pump the clutch three times or so before going into gear it seems to shift smoother. If not I get clanging and the sensation that when I'm pressing the clutch there is a delay in depressing the clutch and the actual release of it. Sorting out this tranny is the only thing holding me back from tuning my car right now. I wanna get it sorted instead of having the dealership tell me my tune caused premature tranny damage.

Keep us updated guys. I feel that a lot of guys are having similar issues and not saying it.

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
I had this, but going into 2nd. Started around 5k miles.

Figured - Okay, New trans - Probably some dirty fluid after breaking in - Okay... Swapped to Royal Purple Synchromax.. Shifting got much better.

Around 8,100 miles it picked up a grind 1st - 2nd when trying to shift with any speed over 3500 rpms. But - Would allow a shift, all good.

8290 mile marker, Leaving work - 1st... 2nd.. POP. Into N. Cannot put any load on 2nd now. Can coast in it, but cannot touch throttle - instantly into Neutral.

My concern is the Royal Purple and heading into the dealer to see what's up. No money shifts, no crazy downshifts..

I plan on taking it in this coming week.. Thoughts ? I guess my concern is the Royal Purple has more or less sealed my warranty possibility's fate.

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
your royal purple meets oem spec if its the stuff everyone else has been using. BTW your style of writing is super confusing. From what I understood was, you had a grind from 1 into 2. you changed fluids to RP and the shifting improved. At 8100 miles you started to get a grind again going from 1 to 2 when you shifted over 3500 rpm. Now you are at about 8300 miles and you shifted to second and it popped out into neutral? you can shift from 1 into 2 but only if you are smooth and don't apply throttle when shifting? Correct me if I'm not reading it right.

When it come to shifting you shouldn't be applying throttle why shifting thats how you wreck a clutch or grind a gear. it should be put into gear, clutch out, gas. the only time i ever slip is coming from a start, and that is very little throttle.

DiEzel

GTFO OG - The Professor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Premium PP
your royal purple meets oem spec if its the stuff everyone else has been using. BTW your style of writing is super confusing. From what I understood was, you had a grind from 1 into 2. you changed fluids to RP and the shifting improved. At 8100 miles you started to get a grind again going from 1 to 2 when you shifted over 3500 rpm. Now you are at about 8300 miles and you shifted to second and it popped out into neutral? you can shift from 1 into 2 but only if you are smooth and don't apply throttle when shifting? Correct me if I'm not reading it right.

When it come to shifting you shouldn't be applying throttle why shifting thats how you wreck a clutch or grind a gear. it should be put into gear, clutch out, gas. the only time i ever slip is coming from a start, and that is very little throttle.
Sorry for the confusion,

Around 5k is when I started experiencing a firm "Grab" or "Bite" into 2nd, This prompted me to change fluids.

The grab or bite got much better, but still existed.. Around 8k is when it started picking up a grind into 2nd when shifting quickly above 3500rpms, I don't mean leaving the throttle @ 3500, I mean... 1st gear, Get to 3500+ rpms with heavy throttle, Throttle off - Clutch in - shift - slight grind into 2nd - clutch out, throttle on.. Does that make sense ? Your typical spirited launch leaving in 1st.

At work this week, leaving - shifting from 1st to 2nd (Car's cold, not spirited) it Popped hard back into neutral when attempting to continue my acceleration to 3rd.

It's the fluid everyone's been using - RP Syncrhomax. Hopefully that's a bit clearer description.

EDIT: Now 2nd is useless - You can compression brake in 2nd, thus that makes me feel like the gear is intact.. But as soon as you put any load on it - neutral.
Sponsored