Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
After @OZMACH posted his photos of PS4S 295/35 tyres on the 11" rear wheels, @MLO 351 noticed on Tire Rack that stated tread width for this tyre is 9.8" which is less than 10" of 285/35 (or standard 275/40). Turns out these Mercedes-homologated tyres are meant for 10" disc and have stretched sidewall by design, which I found mentioned here. Kinda beats the purpose of going wider when the contact patch would be the same as 275/40 and it's stretched bit too much.

So what to do in profile 35... There's Continental SportContact 6, a great tyre in tests matching PS4S with somewhat lower endurance (soon that will be improved by SportContact 7 but not this spring in 295-305/35).
305/35 isn't made in PS4S sadly, but it's in older Pilot Super Sports and stock is scarce.

Looks like many GT350 owners who opted out of Cup2s (and it was OE in 2015-2017) have this same problem and some like @Dave2013M3 opt for PS4S 285/35 front, PSS 305/35 rear and there's no issues about mixing it this way. So I'll do the same, I ordered last two PSS 305/35 on our market now. In a few years hopefully the options will be better. I'll be driving preferably only on dry road and at worst I'll burn them out in donuts 😁

Pretty good video about mixing different tyres between axles. PS4S and PSS works without any issue.

Sponsored

Last edited:

OZMACH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
After @OZMACH posted his photos of PS4S 295/35 tyres on the 11" rear wheels, @MLO 351 noticed on Tire Rack that stated tread width for this tyre is 9.8" which is less than 10" of 285/35 (or standard 275/40). Turns out these Mercedes-homologated tyres are meant for 10" disc and have stretched sidewall by design, which I found mentioned here. Kinda beats the purpose of going wider when the contact patch would be the same as 275/40 and it's stretched bit too much.

So what to do in profile 35... There's Continental SportContact 6, a great tyre in tests matching PS4S with somewhat lower endurance (soon that will be improved by SportContact 7 but not this spring in 295-305/35).
305/35 isn't made in PS4S sadly, but it's in older Pilot Super Sports and stock is scarce.

Looks like many GT350 owners who opted out of Cup2s (and it was OE in 2015-2017) have this same problem and some like @Dave2013M3 opt for PS4S 285/35 front, PSS 305/35 rear and there's no issues about mixing it this way. So I'll do the same, I ordered last two PSS 305/35 on our market now. In a few years hopefully the options will be better. I'll be driving preferably only on dry road and at worst I'll burn them out in donuts 😁
Thanks for the research & info Charlemagne! Am eagerly awaiting SportContact 7’s also. To tell you the truth, I pondered and thought about what to do for several weeks, also making many calls to tyre centres before going for the 275/35 and 295/35 PS4’s. I did consider Cup2s early in the piece to get the extra width, but just don’t like the thought of ever driving with them in the wet…not that I’ll do much of that, but there will be the odd occasion. Waiting to see the Continental SC7’s and will make a decision on those once they’re out 😉.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they do like to complicate it for us 😁 By the time we'll wear them out there'll probably be a new generation of Pilot Sports and SportContact's 7 to choose from. New Bridgestone Potenza Sport is getting great marks but it's again only in profile 30 for now. In the end no decision here is bad for street use :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have some 295band 325 ps4s and possibly tall pss sitting on a shelf. Pm me if you want some.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slywilliez

Slywilliez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
HP wheels went on today.
Tyres are Contact Sport 6.
285/35/19 & 295/35/19.

20220112_183050_resized[9487].jpg
Looks great, remember they make the Mach1 fender flare that will cover up any front tire that is out side of the fender! It was part of the HP package for Mach 1s.

Sponsored

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
They’ve come up looking fantastic 😃😃. Very nice indeed 👌.
Thanks, they ended up fitting really well, always a bit of a gamble when you take on a change of rims and tyres, luckily it ended in a good result.

HP springs, adjustable camber plates and solid rear bar to go on next, ill be measuring ground clearance closely before and after, hoping not to end up with a lower stance. Once that's done its just the front splitter and rear wing. Will post some more pics as it progresses.

OZMACH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
Thanks, they ended up fitting really well, always a bit of a gamble when you take on a change of rims and tyres, luckily it ended in a good result.

HP springs, adjustable camber plates and solid rear bar to go on next, ill be measuring ground clearance closely before and after, hoping not to end up with a lower stance. Once that's done its just the front splitter and rear wing. Will post some more pics as it progresses.
It most certainly looks the part now 👌. A good fit. Unfortunately (as we all know) Covid has led to shortages globally so you’re lucky man to get Continentals in that size 😉. Am with you on the HP springs, camber plates and rear bar. They’re next on my list, but would certainly like to hear how you go with it! Good luck with it. Where abouts are you getting it done?
The front splitter and rear spoiler really enhance the aesthetics with a much meaner stance, and of course better grip on the track if ever going that way. As a guide, pre suspension modifications will result in 13cm clearance with the front splitter on, measuring the ground to splitter edge. The underbelly pan of course is lower than that. A bit of caution on the roads, choosing the right crossovers and streets with little or no speed humps. Thankfully I can get in & out of my driveway no problems 👍👍.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.