2021_Mach825!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Atmadeep
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Hi all,

Building my track/street-focused 2021 Mustang Mach 1, and need some help with the sheet metal on the car. I want to replace the hood, the roof, and the trunk lid with dry carbon replacements from Anderson Composites.

These parts are linked below; can anyone tell me whether the sheet metal on Mach 1 is similar to the GT so that I can use these? The website doesn't mention Mach 1 so a little apprehensive before placing the order.

Trunk Lid: https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...5-2017-mustang-dry-carbon-fiber-trunk-decklid

Roof: https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...n-roof-replacement-for-2015-2019-ford-mustang

Hood: https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...ustang-type-gr-double-sided-carbon-fiber-hood
Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Cutting up your Mach1 takes some massive cojones is all I've gotta say. Interesting project!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
🍿

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Welcome to the forums. :like:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/introduce-yourself.6728/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-mach-1-today.171200/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/the-what-things-weigh-thread.15864/

Best Wishes in the project. :please:

If you have the time, you might want to keep this thread and update it as a project thread.

I'll preface my comments in that I have zero experience moving from steel or aluminum panels to CF.

As a topic of interest, I began studying what's involved in replacing the roof. The labor is intense. Some of the materials, like the different epoxies, specialized. Still reading up on various bits.

Edit: an additional thought on the roof. I'm not questioning your abilities, but given an option to purchase a car with a CF roof, I'd only do so with a certificate, backing or some kind of warranty from a certified installer or qualified body shop. I understand it's a track/street car. If the idea is to keep the car until it reaches the end of it's service life, great. If the idea is to sell at some point in the future, I'd have to wonder how the roof swap might change that, if it'd make it more difficult.

Given the cost vs weight savings of the roof replacement, I'd like to cost out taking 10 lb / 4.5 kg or more off the front end of the car. Calculate the price-per-pound/kg in reduction.

Definitely interested in your other plans.

Once again, Welcome. :clap:

Last edited:

Ratical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
03 F-250 21 Mach 1
To Answer your question the Parts you mentioned are the same on a GT as the Mach 1. The Front Bumper would be different.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
You have $7477.00 in parts before you even begin the build. God knows what the intensive labor will cost. And when you are done should you choose to race the car. Body flexing will rear it's ugly head resulting in the carbon fiber cracking. (Roof) Just a thought here. Proceed with caution . Yes you will have one of a kind. Best of luck on your build.

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
I really like the look of the carbon fiber, I've seen a YouTuber who changed there trunk lid and hood but the roof is a bit scary, not to mention the cost. looks great though.
Love to mod. 😀👍

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
A really bad day at the track would be a) hard hit, b) rollover, or c) fire.
That said, I would never choose to cut my roof and replace with CF in case of b).

If you plan to not paint the hood and trunk, but show off the CF, then consider wrapping the hood in CF. You might want to procure a few samples of the stuff to see which most closely matches your Anderson parts.

OP
OP

2021_Mach825!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Atmadeep
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. All the points raised are very valid and let me address them.

Rollover and Chassis flex: Yes, I have taken those into account, and a 4-point Autopower Weld-in roll cage is being installed as we speak. The goal is to paint the cage orange and custom pad it in fighter jet gray leather.
A full complement of Steeda chassis stiffening products is on order as well.

Weight savings/dollar: Honestly, this is giving me sleepless nights, but this is my high school dream. So, all together I will be saving somewhere between 35 - 38 lbs from the top of the car so lower CG and marginally better handling. For the labor costs, other than the roll cage install, I will be handling everything.
The CF roof swap is not that difficult but very time-consuming. The windscreen, rear glass, headliner, interior trim, antenna, and seals need to be removed. Once the panel is exposed, drill out the spot welds (28 in total, I think), then sand, degrease, acid etch, and then degrease the portions that attach to the unibody structure again. Epoxy bonds the CF panel to the roof, rivets, and then clamps for 3-days. Remove clamps, inspect joints and primer over any remaining exposed metal.
For aesthetics, the plan is to paint all three panels but continue the hood stripe in exposed carbon to the trunk lid.

Build plans:

Power: Whipple Supercharger 825 HP tune. Associated increased cooling.
Transmission: Calimer Transmission Stage 3 TR3160, Mcleod Clutch
Drivetrain: QA1 CF Rev series drive shaft, Ford Performance rear half shafts.
Exterior: Full Anderson composites package (not the CF doors or front fenders)
Interior: Trufiber replacements, CF seats, Steeda CF steering wheel
Suspension: Full Steeda package
Brakes: Not decided but Tony Brokohiapa Ceramic disks for front
Wheels: Not decided but dream is HRE 521 CRBNs

Budget: Till my wife files for divorce........

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
"You made the Plan Stan" Congratulations on your build , Stay safe.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT