2020MY Coolant confusion

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Found a similar thread for gt350 but not for GT.

I have a 2020MY GT with PP1. 3k Km(1,900 miles). Car was built in December 2019, I understand Ford switched coolants around that time.

Yesterday I noticed coolant level was below min mark, didn’t even think to check it sooner. Car was purchased new in May from the dealer, so I’m surprised that it came this low from the factory!! I’ve had no problems with cooling, head temps and oil temps are always normal, and there’s no smell, puddles, or leaks that I’ve been able to detect. Just happened to notice the level when I checked the oil.

Anyways, the printed manual that came with my vehicle calls for Motorcraft Yellow VC-13DL-G/CVC-13DL-G(Canada). Another online PDF manual for 2020MY calls for Orange (VC-3DIL-B/CVC-3DIL-B). The parts geniuses down at the big box retail chain recommended OEM brand Orange, and to my eye the coolant from the factory appears to be green in colour (pic attached below)

She’s going in to the dealer on Monday for a tire issue anyway, so maybe I’ll just see what they say and let them top it up. Not that I fully trust them to put the right fluid in either lol.

I’m inclined to believe the printed manual, and the fluid does look a yellowish green in the light. What’s the deal with this?

7517482A-9CD4-46C3-973E-E39F606987EA.jpeg
Maybe this will help.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine was low in coolant right from the factory, but I can't top it off because I can't seem to find the right coolant. The manual says it needs WSS-M97B57-A2, which is the dark yellow one. And indeed, that's how mine looks, like a slightly greenish yellow. But when I went back to the dealership to buy some, they were very surprised to find out that I didn't have the orange one. They only had the orange in stock. They didn't even know about the new one. :facepalm:
I talked to another dealer, who said they'll order a bottle for me. But until then, I don't feel entirely at ease driving the car. It's not missing much, but it's very noticeable nevertheless - about a third of an inch below minimum when hot.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine was low in coolant right from the factory, but I can't top it off because I can't seem to find the right coolant. The manual says it needs WSS-M97B57-A2, which is the dark yellow one. And indeed, that's how mine looks, like a slightly greenish yellow. But when I went back to the dealership to buy some, they were very surprised to find out that I didn't have the orange one. They only had the orange in stock. They didn't even know about the new one. :facepalm:
I talked to another dealer, who said they'll order a bottle for me. But until then, I don't feel entirely at ease driving the car. It's not missing much, but it's very noticeable nevertheless - about a third of an inch below minimum when hot.
It's just because the air in the heater core takes forever to get removed after the factory fill. I've never seen one that isn't low from the factory. Unless it's at the bottom of the reservoir there's seriously zero concern, just wait until they send you the right stuff. You can mix the orange but it will look like poo after.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
That's because dealerships are idiotic.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What I’d like to know is this:
WHY did Ford revert back to the “other” over the orange/pinkish coolant?

Is there something we should be aware of - was the other formula a problem and if so, what were the effects? Or was it just a change in supplier for cost savings to Ford?

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
What I’d like to know is this:
WHY did Ford revert back to the “other” over the orange/pinkish coolant?

Is there something we should be aware of - was the other formula a problem and if so, what were the effects? Or was it just a change in supplier for cost savings to Ford?
True. Ive seen things say it doesnt offer the protection that is needed..but nothing that goes into detail

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dates and info from the manual and supplement that came with my 2020 of it helps :

45-A96-E0-F-57-A6-4-C56-A928-50-DE0-C00-D355.jpg

WD :like:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You can mix the orange but it will look like poo after.
You're not supposed to add orange to the yellow. Yellow to the orange, yes. What I'd do OP is add distilled water to the 'min' mark right now, and measure how much. When you eventually find yellow coolant, just make up for the dilution, and fill the reservoir to the 'max' level. If Ford only sells the pre-mixed bottles, which is likely, the dilution would be minimal.

And yes, these cars are the worst as far as air in the system so far. My car was slightly below the 'min' line with only 66 miles on it. I made dealer top it off before starting the engine. And ordered a jug of Motorcraft orange coolant as soon as I got home with the car. Had to top it off a little more not long ago, but it's quite stable now. Many have reported Ford is not selling the orange coolant anymore.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
You're not supposed to add orange to the yellow. Yellow to the orange, yes. What I'd do OP is add distilled water to the 'min' mark right now, and measure how much. When you eventually find yellow coolant, just make up for the dilution, and fill the reservoir to the 'max' level. If Ford only sells the pre-mixed bottles, which is likely, the dilution would be minimal.

And yes, these cars are the worst as far as air in the system so far. My car was slightly below the 'min' line with only 66 miles on it. I made dealer top it off before starting the engine. And ordered a jug of Motorcraft orange coolant as soon as I got home with the car. Had to top it off a little more not long ago, but it's quite stable now. Many have reported Ford is not selling the orange coolant anymore.
yep..even if you order the orange on amazon they send the yellow.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Found a similar thread for gt350 but not for GT.

I have a 2020MY GT with PP1. 3k Km(1,900 miles). Car was built in December 2019, I understand Ford switched coolants around that time.

Yesterday I noticed coolant level was below min mark, didn’t even think to check it sooner. Car was purchased new in May from the dealer, so I’m surprised that it came this low from the factory!! I’ve had no problems with cooling, head temps and oil temps are always normal, and there’s no smell, puddles, or leaks that I’ve been able to detect. Just happened to notice the level when I checked the oil.

Anyways, the printed manual that came with my vehicle calls for Motorcraft Yellow VC-13DL-G/CVC-13DL-G(Canada). Another online PDF manual for 2020MY calls for Orange (VC-3DIL-B/CVC-3DIL-B). The parts geniuses down at the big box retail chain recommended OEM brand Orange, and to my eye the coolant from the factory appears to be green in colour (pic attached below)

She’s going in to the dealer on Monday for a tire issue anyway, so maybe I’ll just see what they say and let them top it up. Not that I fully trust them to put the right fluid in either lol.

I’m inclined to believe the printed manual, and the fluid does look a yellowish green in the light. What’s the deal with this?

7517482A-9CD4-46C3-973E-E39F606987EA.jpeg
That looks like green prestone coolant. Previous owner probably switched it because the other is harder and pricier to get.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

That doesn't make sense though, it either mixes or it doesn't. As far as air, I swear my car burped more at 7k miles, or I had a mystery leak that left no evidence, lol. It coincided with me using the heat again though.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I’m in the process of changing mine from orange to yellow or as I like to call it, the blood from The Predator.

The manual states it should be changed at 6 years or 160k (kilometres because I’m in Canada), whichever comes first. I’m assuming the coolant has a shelf life.

Well my 2014 S197 is 6 years old, so changing the coolant. Car is just about to hit 20k, literally 11 kilometres away from 20k.

Don’t really need to do a flush so just changing over. Today I drained and refilled with yellow and the orange was mixing in the reservoir with the new yellow. So I unplugged the hose that goes into the reservoir from the water pump and had the hose go into an empty bottle. As the car was running, the orange coolant from the water pump was going into the empty bottle and the new yellow into the reservoir.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Don't get your greens and yellows mixed up. There are two of each. The older vehicles used regular green then extended life gold. Then they switch up to a Dex-cool style which will contaminate if mixed with the regular green and extended life yellow. The Dex-cool styles are orange, not sure about the "dark" green with bitter agent and the newest yellow which is more a lime green color. That's why the new yellow is backward compatible with orange and dark green but not the earlier green and extended life gold.

I won't buy antifreeze today if the bottle doesn't have a Ford spec number listed so I can get it right.
Sponsored