2019 Mustang GT idle thudding/knocking, authorized engine replacement

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

I've seen the other posts, one where the engine was replaced because of damage to the cylinder walls, and I definitely have a similar sound. This engine has 260 miles on it, and I noticed the rattling from day one (4 miles on it). The video is from a cold start, 60 degree weather, all at idle (it actually makes a lot of noise). You can hear the sound at the very beginning, around 2:05, and then around 2:25 when I hover the gas pedal around 1100 RPMs. Usually I'd only hear it while driving around the 2000-2500 RPM range but this time it was most prominent around 1100 RPMs. It seemed like the oil was overfilled so I changed it around 150 miles. 5w20 Motorcraft synthetic blend and the motorcraft oil filter, and no oil consumption as far as I can tell. At first I thought it was the new DI injectors making the noise, or at least that's what I told myself to feel better, but I remember having a very similar sound in my 97 (5.0 HO swap from a 95 GT) before I put on the gt40p heads (whenever I'd back off of the throttle you would hear the same rattle sound very briefly). The sound seemed to go away on the 97, after the head swap, but a couple years later it developed a rather nasty rod knock and has been sitting ever since. Considering everyone else seems to have the 2018; me having the issue with a 2019 could either imply it's not a big deal, or Ford really dropped the ball. This car has been babied for the first 100 miles. After the oil change I did a couple of sprints up to about 4-5k RPMs because I wanted to see what it could do, but only after the car was warmed up after 20 minutes of driving.

EDIT: Going to add my newest two videos to the OP that have the knock. There's actually a few sounds. The diesel sounding knock that is steady is one, but there's also a dull thud that isn't steady, is easy to hear from the cabin, and can be heard with a stethoscope held up to the oil pan. The passenger side video also has another metallic sound that may be piston slap.

Drivers side

Passenger side
Sponsored

Last edited:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Listen very closely to me.

Go drive and enjoy your car. Wait til it has a few thousand miles at the very least and if any strange noise is present have the dealer take a look. Do not let all these post online get into your head. It has a 12.1 compression ration, lots of valves, injectors, etc, it will make some noises.. Just drive the car and bring it to a dealer when there is a reason too. I had to slap myself around a bit to get my mind back to reality after reading much of the same crap your reading. Stop worrying and go enjoy your car.Your video for the most part sounds like a normal 2018, 2019 engine.

Stop the madness.

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
They all sound like that. Go drive it and enjoy it. I just heard all the same noises on my 2018 as I was pulling it into my driveway.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Listen very closely to me.

Go drive and enjoy your car. Wait til it has a few thousand miles at the very least and if any strange noise is present have the dealer take a look. Do not let all these post online get into your head. It has a 12.1 compression ration, lots of valves, injectors, etc, it will make some noises.. Just drive the car and bring it to a dealer when there is a reason too. I had to slap myself around a bit to get my mind back to reality after reading much of the same crap your reading. Stop worrying and go enjoy your car.Your video for the most part sounds like a normal 2018, 2019 engine.

Stop the madness.
It maybe madness, but this is my first new car so I'm paranoid. From the cabin the rattling sounds just like it does in the other videos posted. I'm going to take it out now because I do love to drive it, but for 43k it's very difficult to put my mind at ease. Also, wouldn't doing something about it within my first couple weeks of ownership call for an easier time than if I had owned the car for a while and came to the dealer with a couple thousand miles on the OD? I have no idea how this all plays out. I'm used to older, beaten up cars that, if going bad, I had to tear apart and fix.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I did post on the other one as well, but same advice as this other fine gents have given you . Drive it and Enjoy it, I did as stated on my other post that the ceratec quiets it down to where it is not as annoying , I was getting super paranoid about all this post as well. I'm done with that... If I see the problem come up in the news i might worry about it again lol.
I'm done worrying about it too. I was watching some videos about the GT350 and I found one (posted it on the other thread) where you can clearly hear the same rattle during normal driving on the GT350. If I'm not mistaken, that car is hand built, and not factory manufactured, so if that car has the rattle, too, then I dare say it may be normal.

Reactions: Why

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Sounds like the noise gets more pronounced as the engine warms up.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the noise gets more pronounced as the engine warms up.
I got in the car and was holding the RPMs around 1100 which had it make the noise without interruption. It was much easier to hear within the cabin. It actually gets, as I paid attention to the last two days, much quieter as the car is fully warm. The difference in sound under the hood is practically night and day, which is relieving. Cold it sounds like it's going to fall apart, warm it actually sounds peaceful. Listening again, that squeal I heard when I first started the car is the most concerning. Never had that happen before, nor has it happened since. Sounds like a belt was seizing.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
My 2018 GT with 15.5 K miles has this slight ticking/rattle too. As you all notice, it quiets down a lot when the oil is up to operating temps. @Dfeeds as you noticed that with the RPMs hovering around 1000-1500 the sound is most pronounced. My car consumes about half a quart of oil over 5-6 thousand miles which I consider normal so I guess nothing to worry about here.

Reactions: Why

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
IMO, Ford has to issue a statement like it did for gt350 i.e. the noise is because of this and that and this is normal and will not cause issues.

Until it does, it is not normal.

Piston/cylinder design is different between gt, 15-17 and 18+. So do not make yourself comfortable because of gt350 tsb.

We saw cylinder surfaces here that did not look normal and were the reason people got engines replaced.

It is your car, you paid your money for it.

For gt 350 they at least have some excuse because of difference in cyl and piston materials.

But what can they say for gts? We coupled parts out of tolerances. Some people are lucky, you are not. It's ok. Well, they did not say even that much.

Last edited:

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
IMO, Ford has to issue a statement like it did for gt350 i.e. the noise is because of this and that and this is normal and will not cause issues.

Until it does, it is not normal.

Piston/cylinder design is different between gt, 15-17 and 18+. So do not make yourself comfortable because of gt350 tsb.

We saw cylinder surfaces here that did not look normal and were the reason people got engines replaced.
Sounds alot like oil pump tick

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Who can hear any ticking over a noisy diesel engine?
I hear the the tick loud and clear. Subtle typewriter tick, just like most of the posts here where people want ford to buy back.. You know why ford resells em? Cuz aint nothing wrong with the car.