2019 GT Oil Consumption Issues

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
hey all, so I’ve had my 2019 Mustang GT MT82 for just a bit over a year now. What I’m noticing is every oil change I do the car ends up consuming at least 1 qt. Of Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic per my 5000 mile change intervals. FWIW I changed to Mobil 1 after my first oil change and have used K&N oil filters thus far. Car now has 32,000 miles on it.

Took the car to a local dealer this week to ask what is normal and what’s not. Long story shorter he told me using that amount isn’t normal but not unheard of. I’m taking the car Saturday to have them do my next oil change as well as put marks on my dipstick to do a consumption test going forward. I asked them what happens if they deem the consumption to be excessive? Answer I got was....new engine :eek:

Anyone else run into this with a ‘18 or ‘19?

Thanks everyone,

Dustin
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
That is normal , actually thats probably less than normal. For gt350s I think they need to consume more than a quart per 500 miles for it to be considered excessive. Not sure what the amount for GT's is but 1 qt per 5k miles is definitely not excessive.

You can put a catch can on and catch some of that so its not burned.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah, 5000 miles per quart of oil is good. That's about what my 2015 GT is using too.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Normal. Especially if it wasn’t completely filled last time. Might be 1/2-3/4 quart witch is awesome.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
From following several car forums it is pretty "normal" to do a quart between oil changes. I'd be shocked if anyone is going to replace the engine for using a quart in 5k miles.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Maybe that's why the went 10qt sumps in 18

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So I had the car at the dealer on Saturday for the oil change and consumption issue. Tech added 9 qts of oil then ran the car for a minute, marked dipstick at that level, added final quart and marked dipstick at that level. Now I’m to drive 3000 miles before I take it back and they measure it again. Not sure what their criteria is for good or bad as far as consumption goes but the tech told me they have replaced a bunch of F150 engines due to oil consumption problems.
I’m gonna cross my fingers it all comes back normal!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I had the car at the dealer on Saturday for the oil change and consumption issue. Tech added 9 qts of oil then ran the car for a minute, marked dipstick at that level, added final quart and marked dipstick at that level. Now I’m to drive 3000 miles before I take it back and they measure it again. Not sure what their criteria is for good or bad as far as consumption goes but the tech told me they have replaced a bunch of F150 engines due to oil consumption problems.
I’m gonna cross my fingers it all comes back normal!
The F-150 oil consumption TSB says to replace the short block if oil consumption is more than 1 qt in 3000 miles. Which is surprising since most car manufacturers say 1 qt in 1000 miles is still "normal".

They must be using the same criteria as the F-150 TSB, but I don't think there is a specific oil consumption TSB on the Mustang. Maybe @Cobra Jet can verify.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
hey all, so I’ve had my 2019 Mustang GT MT82 for just a bit over a year now. What I’m noticing is every oil change I do the car ends up consuming at least 1 qt. Of Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic per my 5000 mile change intervals. FWIW I changed to Mobil 1 after my first oil change and have used K&N oil filters thus far. Car now has 32,000 miles on it.

Took the car to a local dealer this week to ask what is normal and what’s not. Long story shorter he told me using that amount isn’t normal but not unheard of. I’m taking the car Saturday to have them do my next oil change as well as put marks on my dipstick to do a consumption test going forward. I asked them what happens if they deem the consumption to be excessive? Answer I got was....new engine :eek:

Thanks everyone,

Dustin
my '17 was consuming 1 qt per 1000. maybe even more. I did not complain since bbq tick was primary concern. They replaced short block due to tick. Oil consumption was gone with old block.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The F-150 oil consumption TSB says to replace the short block if oil consumption is more than 1 qt in 3000 miles. Which is surprising since most car manufacturers say 1 qt in 1000 miles is still "normal".

They must be using the same criteria as the F-150 TSB, but I don't think there is a specific oil consumption TSB on the Mustang. Maybe @Cobra Jet can verify.

Correct. There has not been any TSB/SSM issues for the S550 5.0 Coyote (any model year) regarding oil consumption concerns or issues.

I’m not sure why the F-Series would have it but the same TSB is not applicable across the vehicle product line having a similar engine.

Sponsored

Gray Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 PP1

Thanks everyone,

Dustin
so what happened keep using oil? new engine? what

Gray Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 PP1
That is normal , actually thats probably less than normal. For gt350s I think they need to consume more than a quart per 500 miles for it to be considered excessive. Not sure what the amount for GT's is but 1 qt per 5k miles is definitely not excessive.

You can put a catch can on and catch some of that so its not burned.
I have a catch can it separates air and oil but does not stop it from burning good oil.
Gt 350 different animal than a regular GT

OP
OP

Black19GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’ve just met my 3000 miles since they notched my dipstick. I’ll be taking the car to the dealer sometime later this week to have them make the call. I’ll update you guys once I know.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve just met my 3000 miles since they notched my dipstick. I’ll be taking the car to the dealer sometime later this week to have them make the call. I’ll update you guys once I know.
Have you monitored the oil level also to verify their take will correspond to yours?

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
My 2019 GT PP 6-Speed has used half a quart or so in 2K miles....seems kinda normal to me for the power and FUN LEVEL!!:wink:
Sponsored