Sponsored

2019 GT Oil Consumption Issues

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
My 2019 GT PP 6-Speed has used half a quart or so in 2K miles....seems kinda normal to me for the power and FUN LEVEL!!:wink:
That's about what my 2015 GT uses - 1 qt in ~5000 miles.
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’ve just met my 3000 miles since they notched my dipstick. I’ll be taking the car to the dealer sometime later this week to have them make the call. I’ll update you guys once I know.
what was your outcome with this?

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to bring mine in to be checked.

I changed it on 2/29 myself so I know I added 10 quarts.

2.5mo and about 1500 miles later it barely registers at or below the bottom fill hole depending on when I check it.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Well boys and girls.......

I changed the oil in my 2019 GT convertible last week and at 5K miles it was down to the bottom hole on the dipstick.....but it took 11 quarts to fill it to the "Full" hole on the dipstick??:sunglasses:

Not bad at a quart burned per 5K miles but 11 quarts to fill a 10 quart system??:shock:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best way to check your oil level is when the car has been sitting overnight. Much easier to read the oil level on the dipstick, and it will give the most consistent oil level readings.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well boys and girls.......

I changed the oil in my 2019 GT convertible last week and at 5K miles it was down to the bottom hole on the dipstick.....but it took 11 quarts to fill it to the "Full" hole on the dipstick??:sunglasses:

Not bad at a quart burned per 5K miles but 11 quarts to fill a 10 quart system??:shock:
Did you have the front end up on ramps? Yeah, a quart in 5K miles is pretty normal. That's about what my 2015 oil consumption is also at.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Car was level in my garage and it sat overnight.....(2) 5 Quart jugs of Mobil I and it was a quart low the next the morning!!:inspect:

11 quarts added in all :sunglasses:

PS: Dipstick is in a stupid place!!:curse:

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to bring mine in to be checked.

I changed it on 2/29 myself so I know I added 10 quarts.

2.5mo and about 1500 miles later it barely registers at or below the bottom fill hole depending on when I check it.
I’m now on the 1000 mile clock. May take me six weeks to hit that thousand miles but when I do I’ll take it back in and see how it’s fared with them marking the dipstick.

I was a little surprised that they charged me for the oil change which sucked since I just paid for the Mobil1 I put in back in February. I guess I assumed that if you were opening up an OC case that wasn’t something they’d charge for. But they do refund me that should I need a new short block.

So I hope I never see that $100 otherwise it’s means I’m without a car for awhile.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car was level in my garage and it sat overnight.....(2) 5 Quart jugs of Mobil I and it was a quart low the next the morning!!:inspect:

11 quarts added in all :sunglasses:
I meant did you have the front end on ramps when you did the oil change. Doing it with the front end in the air might drain more oil out of the engine then draining it on level ground.

Sponsored

Disciple710

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
The best way to check your oil level is when the car has been sitting overnight. Much easier to read the oil level on the dipstick, and it will give the most consistent oil level readings.
I agree. But that's not how the dealership does it. I check mine in the morning before I go to work. I had mine down at the bottom hole on the dipstick, and it dropped down less than like 1,900 miles. When I took it in they basically gave me the run around and told me to come back in 3,000 miles, they said it was the oil filter being loose (which it wasn't), and to check it after being reaching normal operating temp then letting it sit being off for 15 minutes (like stated in the manual). They did a full oil change service, I checked it the next day it was at the top hole of the dipstick. But they notched the dipstick at the top of the hash marks. And it's still dropping, almost down to the bottom hole on the dipstick at about 2,000 miles.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. But that's not how the dealership does it. I check mine in the morning before I go to work. I had mine down at the bottom hole on the dipstick, and it dropped down less than like 1,900 miles. When I took it in they basically gave me the run around and told me to come back in 3,000 miles, they said it was the oil filter being loose (which it wasn't), and to check it after being reaching normal operating temp then letting it sit being off for 15 minutes (like stated in the manual). They did a full oil change service, I checked it the next day it was at the top hole of the dipstick. But they notched the dipstick at the top of the hash marks. And it's still dropping, almost down to the bottom hole on the dipstick at about 2,000 miles.
Checking it cold or checking it hot, if the checks are done the same each time the change in oil level should come out basically the same.

Response to your comment in red:
I've checked this many times on my GT's dipstick. The top of the hash marks is the full cold oil level. If you then drove the car to full operating temperature and checked the hot oil level 15~20 minutes after shutdown, then the hot oil level should be at the top hole.

In other words, the oil in the sump has expanded in volume at 200 deg F, which makes the oil level on the dipstick go from top of the hash marked area to the top hole. I've verified this half a dozen times on my Coyote.

Don't know why they notched the hot level at the top of the hash marks when hot if you found the level to be at the top hole when cold - or was your check done hot? If your check was done cold, then the only thing I can hypothesize is that they checked the hot level without letting it sit 15~20 minutes. Or the levelness of the ground is different between the dealer check and your check.

If it was my car, I'd be doing both cold and hot oil level checks on the same level ground and keep track yourself to see if it matches what the dealer is recording for the oil consumption test.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I meant did you have the front end on ramps when you did the oil change. Doing it with the front end in the air might drain more oil out of the engine then draining it on level ground.
QuickJacks.......perfectly level in the air or on the floor!!:like:

Never liked ramps....first used 'em in the 60's......sucked!!:curse:

Disciple710

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Checking it cold or checking it hot, if the checks are done the same each time the change in oil level should come out basically the same.

Response to your comment in red:
I've checked this many times on my GT's dipstick. The top of the hash marks is the full cold oil level. If you then drove the car to full operating temperature and checked the hot oil level 15~20 minutes after shutdown, then the hot oil level should be at the top hole.

In other words, the oil in the sump has expanded in volume at 200 deg F, which makes the oil level on the dipstick go from top of the hash marked area to the top hole. I've verified this half a dozen times on my Coyote.

Don't know why they notched the hot level at the top of the hash marks when hot if you found the level to be at the top hole when cold - or was your check done hot? If your check was done cold, then the only thing I can hypothesize is that they checked the hot level without letting it sit 15~20 minutes. Or the levelness of the ground is different between the dealer check and your check.

If it was my car, I'd be doing both cold and hot oil level checks on the same level ground and keep track yourself to see if it matches what the dealer is recording for the oil consumption test.
I always check it cold. I just was thinking they may have did it to mark a quart low? That'd be my guess now that I've thought about it. I will start checking it hot also. I've tried it a few times, but it's so hard to tell on the dipstick since the oil is so thin.

Thank you for your response!

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
Hey guys, I have 2020 Bullitt. Bought new back in April 2020. Put 1000 miles on it and changed the oil and filter. Pennzoil ultra platinum and Mobil 1 filter. Now I have 4,300 miles and Checked the oil it’s low. Did another oil change and got out only 9 quarts. I put in 10 so I went thru a quart in about 3,000 miles. I also noticed the dreaded knock when I went under the car . I only heard it then . What do you think?
Sponsored