2019 Comp cams stage 2 NSR installed!

zoinks5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
This is great man, love seeing the results of your efforts! You're running pretty much my dream setup; I love N/A builds.
Sponsored

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
yeah, stepped in it a bit...

I was coming from a point of the factory engine is built to a price unlike say the Boss which has all kinds of upgraded internals to support higher rev duty. Also if dropping $1600 on cams, I don't understand why you wouldn't upgrade the rest of the valve train. Springs are a nuisance cost. Just because the cam profile at 7300 rpm doesn't need springs, it doesn't follow that at 8000+ rpm it won't do bad things.

I get wanting to use the overrun to save a shift or to hold a gear for longer.

The Gen 2 Coyote has the same valve springs as a Roadrunner, the Gen 3 has better springs than both:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/Coyote Technical Reference2.pdf

So spinning it to 8k probably won't hurt them since Comp took that into account when designing those lobes.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
What were the dyno numbers before the cams? HP/TQ.

OP
OP
Slamdcoop0428

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
This is great man, love seeing the results of your efforts! You're running pretty much my dream setup; I love N/A builds.
I try to share what I can. I’m enjoying this car being NA. Makes you think a little more than just throwing boost at it like my 2016.

OP
OP
Slamdcoop0428

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What were the dyno numbers before the cams? HP/TQ.
I was on another dyno before the cams and it put down 454whp. I may try and go back to that dyno I was on and that would show me what they did for me. I only really went on this dyno so I could ring it out and see where the power dropped off so jr could reset my shift points which are now around 8000. Im impressed with how long it holds power for with the cams though.

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Any chance you can overlay your dyno graph before the cams with the new one? Not so much caring about the power differences as I know the dynos are different, but to see the difference in the curves.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mark said on FB that it was an error and they don’t make
Stage 3’s for the gen 3 coyote yet.
shame they can't be bothered to edit their article. Nor Steeda their website.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The car looks to make great power! I'm prepping to install the cams myself which already has the CJ setup and I'd be pretty happy with that power curve. Rev it out to 8k and I I think you'll have a pretty serious N/A car!

BTW - I spoke directly to Comp Cams about using this cam without valve spring upgrades and they were pretty confident that it'll be just fine. The lobes are pretty soft just for that reason and I don't really see a need to second guess them.

OP
OP
Slamdcoop0428

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shame they can't be bothered to edit their article. Nor Steeda their website.
Go on comps website and show me a stage 3 cam for the 2018 cars. Actually call Comp like I did and ask for stage 3’s. They don’t make them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Slamdcoop0428

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The car looks to make great power! I'm prepping to install the cams myself which already has the CJ setup and I'd be pretty happy with that power curve. Rev it out to 8k and I I think you'll have a pretty serious N/A car!

BTW - I spoke directly to Comp Cams about using this cam without valve spring upgrades and they were pretty confident that it'll be just fine. The lobes are pretty soft just for that reason and I don't really see a need to second guess them.
Thanks man! It’s been a great car so far. Yep i ordered the cams directly from comp and we talked for a little bit about my plans. There is a reason they call them NSR lol. Like comp didn’t put any research and development time into them. The thumper cams require springs.

OP
OP
Slamdcoop0428

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Go on comps website and show me a stage 3 cam for the 2018 cars. Actually call Comp like I did and ask for stage 3’s. They don’t make them.
Both Steeda's Q-car build description and the HotRod Mag claimed they used stage 3 cams. Comp's website is a hot mess. I never claimed Comps had a Stage 3 cam, but rather 2 of the sources you claimed to have copied your build from, said they did. The onus is on Steeda and HotRod to fix their damn pages. Some random facef*ck posting is not a retraction or article edit. Maybe Steeda does have a prototype stage 3, I don't know.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like comp didn’t put any research and development time into them.
and Comp claimed they tested the stock springs for resonance up to 8300 RPM? None of their public documentation says anything about what the factory SPRINGS are certified up to. Just because the lobe centers work up to 7900 RPM is not the same ting. But if we were to take a leap of logic that says the cam is rated to 7900 rpm and since "no springs required" that the springs magically are good to 7900, what's the engineering proof that exceeding that number is expected to under XX% probability of failure?

Maybe everything is fine to 8000 and the another 300 RPM is more than adequate engineering reserve. Do YOU know? Does Comp?

OP
OP
Slamdcoop0428

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both Steeda's Q-car build description and the HotRod Mag claimed they used stage 3 cams. Comp's website is a hot mess. I never claimed Comps had a Stage 3 cam, but rather 2 of the sources you claimed to have copied your build from, said they did. The onus is on Steeda and HotRod to fix their damn pages. Some random facef*ck posting is not a retraction or article edit. Maybe Steeda does have a prototype stage 3, I don't know.
Some fuck face? Mark is the guy behind the article and does many videos for them.
Sponsored