2018 GT- Tick On 2nd Motor

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My first motor had the tick on a cold start. It’ll go away when the engine was fully warmed up.

Second motor is the opposite. It does it when the engine is fully warm up. What do you guys think ? Maybe, it is normal ?
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Is it the same tick, or just a tick? Not all ticks are equal my friend.

OP
OP

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Yes, it is definitely the same tick. I’ve collected an oil sample for an analysis. Hope, result is in favor.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
My dealer said the tick was normal, which of course is bs, but they are replacing my engine because of the rattle. Did your first engine or this engine have the rattle?

OP
OP

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My dealer said the tick was normal, which of course is bs, but they are replacing my engine because of the rattle. Did your first engine or this engine have the rattle?

This is what my first engine sounded like

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Nah, that's the common '18+ tick. Until there is actual PROOF that the tick is an issue and causing damage, I wouldn't worry about it.

And please no one @ me saying scored cylinders. That seems more correlated to the rattle than the tick. Either way, just because there is scoring, does not mean the engine is damaged. There is always some scoring with all engines.

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
Nah, that's the common '18+ tick. Until there is actual PROOF that the tick is an issue and causing damage, I wouldn't worry about it.

And please no one @ me saying scored cylinders. That seems more correlated to the rattle than the tick. Either way, just because there is scoring, does not mean the engine is damaged. There is always some scoring with all engines.
How do you figure there is scoring with all engines?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

The 18+ doesn't have it's own "tick." It's the rattle that people are associating strictly with this car. And no there's not. My old 302 pushrod, at 150k miles, still had cross hatching and no scoring. I can go take a pic of it now... Debris or slight scuffing is one thing, but scoring? That's bad.

Sponsored

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP

Please, no one listen to this guy. Scoring is and always will be bad, especially if noticeable with so little miles. Get that shit documented.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Please, no one listen to this guy. Scoring is and always will be bad, especially if noticeable with so little miles. Get that shit documented.
Actually he's right. Virtually all engines have some wear on cylinder liners. It just depends on how badly, and how rapidly to determine whether or not it may need a replacement.

This is why I am just doing my best to try and subdue the noise a bit. It seems obvious there is no real absolute fix yet. With my luck, I'd get it replaced with an engine that's even louder.

Either way, this baby screams like a Banshee when I put my foot down.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Until Ford has corrected the issue all these engine replacements will end up with same results. Do not understand (unless actual failure) why owners/dealers are swapping same (same parts/build etc) engines. We need a mantra around here “Don’t sweat the tick”... We need 1000 more tick posts on this site. Lol.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Until Ford has corrected the issue all these engine replacements will end up with same results. Do not understand (unless actual failure) why owners/dealers are swapping same (same parts/build etc) engines. We need a mantra around here “Don’t sweat the tick”... We need 1000 more tick posts on this site. Lol.
If noone goes to the dealer with serious complaints on engine noises and requires to fix this, ford is not going to work on a fix.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
The 18+ doesn't have it's own "tick." It's the rattle that people are associating strictly with this car. And no there's not. My old 302 pushrod, at 150k miles, still had cross hatching and no scoring. I can go take a pic of it now... Debris or slight scuffing is one thing, but scoring? That's bad.
Dude....:headbang:

The 2018+ absolutely has its own tick. This is not the "BBQ tick" associated with the 11-17 Coyotes. That tick literally sounds like a grill igniter tick, hence the name. The 2018+ has more of a metallic tapping sound that is much more frequent.
Sponsored