2018 mustang GT ticking?

dhaliwal559

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 Speed Race Red
Hey, I have 380 miles on my car. I noticed a ticking sound under my car by the motor / tranny. I've heard it might be the new direct injection but it just started. I'm new to the forum so I'll try to upload a video.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Many threads and pages on this already. What you recorded is pretty common and most have not had any issues arise from the noise. Lots of fear and paranoia around it. My car has made that noise during cooler weather upon initial warm up. Once warmed up it has gone away and most of the time I do not hear it at all. It has been that way since new and now has 8k miles on it months later. I would not worry about it unless it gets worse. I could not even hear it from inside the car, only outside. Ticking that kinda comes and goes mainly when cold or warming up.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Mine started the tick yesterday! It sounds like it comes from the passenger side and is not a consistent rhythm like fuel injectors make.

I've been looking out for it since I've seen so many complaints. Also, I remote start in the morning and walk by that area. Yesterday it was just there all of a sudden and it doesn't seem to go away after warming up.

I did have an oil change about 1,000 miles ago. I'm around 3,500 miles.

I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about but it sounds like an old car with something rattling around.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Harmless or not its kind of inexcusable that a brand new car is going to make this odd ticking noise. Let alone a car that costs over 35K new. My 2016 is at the dealership now. I know there are loads of posts about this being benign yet Ford seems still be replacing short blocks to fix the ticking so which is it?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The changing pitch and volume of the ticking at idle is what I find odd. It sounds a bit like a car with 140,000 miles on the odometer.

I'll hold off until my 10K service unless it gets any worse.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Jeeze, I admit I thought everyone was overeating. Sounds like something came loose in the engine.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
With how prevalent this issue is i'm kind of amazed there hasn't been a concrete answer as to what is making it. Ive seen people say cam phasers, timing belt tensioner, a/c tsb, loose rod connectors. Is the ticking worse when the a/c is on. Mine is noticeably different when the a/c is off and on. It is much worse when the a/c is on. I started to be able to hear it inside the car with the windows up.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Rattles, ticks, grinds, welcome to 2018 Mustang ownership. I miss the old days where I only had to worry about my synchros crapping out in cold weather.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Koons service dept claims its an octane/knock issue. You can see the YT vid posted from games&gears.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Koons service dept claims its an octane/knock issue. You can see the YT vid posted from games&gears.
That'd be a pretty crazy explanation considering most of the rattles and knocks happen on very light throttle. Unless people were using crappy 87 octane gas, that's not gonna be the case. Plus, the knocking would be crazy on full throttle.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is at the dealership now with the tick. So far the apim module went out, had to change the evep coil, and a new driveshaft. The car has 27,000 miles. Now the tick issue. This will probably be my last Ford. You would think they would have corrected this by now. Yet it continues.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
There may be multiple issues causing this. I isolated mine to the timing chain area. Drivers side to be exact. Doesn't do it below 180 with cold starts. Also timing chain tensioner is controlled with oil pressure. Started after an oil change.

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
I'm having the issue myself.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Sounds like the tick I have. In the shop getting a new shortblock.