2018 Mustang GT knock/tick (HELP)

Hudb26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 GT that I bought a little over 2 and a half months ago. I’ve had it serviced at 2 different dealers and both seem to think nothing is wrong with the vehicle, yet I have heard a deep tap noise in the cab for the last 1500 miles and have noticed lately a tick/knock type sound. I wanna take it in again but am hesitant as I don’t want to be turned away again. I changed the oil yesterday and found a couple metal flakes in the oil from the filter and found some metal like beads that were extremely tiny on the oil from the pan. Anybody have an idea of what is going on and where to go from here?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Hudb26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Here is a video I took of the noise. This is making me sick to my stomach

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
my recommendation for everyone. take it to ford, let them document it. if they take no action then slap 2 bottles of ceratec in it and beat the snot out of it. if afraid to lose the engine dont mod it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What's it sound like at around 2000 RPM while cruising steady down the street? And what's it sound like down by the ground behind the front tires while idling?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hudb26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Will post video soon as I’m home, I know in the cabin I can hear a deep thumping sound, off rhythm and can be felt by putting a hand on the passenger side of the engine cover. But the knocking sound I can hear only on the passenger side also. I wonder sometimes if I’m just paranoid but I also wanna add a whipple at some point and the thought of needing an engine replacement kills the excitement and confidence in the car.
What's it sound like at around 2000 RPM while cruising steady down the street? And what's it sound like down by the ground behind the front tires while idling?

OP
OP

Hudb26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
And around 2000 rpm in park I can hear the noise speed up but it’s hard to hear when going down the road due to the roush axle back with an x pipe :/

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Your video sounds like a new 5.0 to me. Can't hear anything of concern.
If you left your car with either of the 2 stores you've been to ...it's already documented.

OP
OP

Hudb26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It does in fact have a rattle at 2000 rpms when driving down the road

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Did you cut open the oil filter you had removed? The only reason I ask is because I had posted a Ford TSB in the last 6-8 mos that demonstrates how to determine quick oil analysis regarding metal in oil.

You have to cut open the oil filter and remove the pleated lining. Once you remove the lining, you want to stretch/spread it out and examine the creases in the pleats. If there is extensive metal debris (flakes) within those creases, there’s a definitive issue.

You might be able to find the TSB by searching my user ID in this very forum.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
In your video, the car sounds 100% perfect. If there's a 2K RPM tick, get that on video and post it.

So far it's just your emotions messing with you, there's nothing in the 1st video other than a healthy motor.

Engines make tapping noises, that's normal. And your car has DI, which definitely makes a ticking noise.

Last edited:

bjc24v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 GT that I bought a little over 2 and a half months ago. I’ve had it serviced at 2 different dealers and both seem to think nothing is wrong with the vehicle, yet I have heard a deep tap noise in the cab for the last 1500 miles and have noticed lately a tick/knock type sound. I wanna take it in again but am hesitant as I don’t want to be turned away again. I changed the oil yesterday and found a couple metal flakes in the oil from the filter and found some metal like beads that were extremely tiny on the oil from the pan. Anybody have an idea of what is going on and where to go from here?
What is your build date? There is a issue with certain early 18 builds.